Author Topic: Thanks for Advice on Trailers, and the winner is.......  (Read 13849 times)

Offline Dave Siegel

• Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!
    • Dave Siegel Designs
Re: Thanks for Advice on Trailers, and the winner is.......
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 12:15:27 PM »
Pricey doesn't even begin to describe the feeling.  We feel very helpless here on the South West coast of Florida. There are NO real repair facilities. unless , of course, if you have a Mercedes, Hummer or BMW. And those are only the cars that the kids get to go to High School with. The parents use Maserattii's, Ferrari's and of course the SUV of choice here is the new Land Rover. It's sickening because all, and I mean all of the businesses cater only to the wealthy and we are left out of the equasion. There isn't even a decent hardware store here, maybe an Ace but that's it.

Soon we will be gone and I won't have anything to belly ache about.

I really don't mind the fact of having to hitch up a dolly, or strap the tires on to the dolly itself. I just want our car to be safe, I want it easy for our old girl to be able to pull, and price fits right in there with everything else. I can't see anyother way than a tow dolly.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I love this board. I have to get back and draw some pictures.

Dave Siegel
Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
            Pinellas Park, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 12:23:23 PM »
OK, Dave. Good luck on your choice. Be sure and get back to us after a few months on the road and you get some experience with the dolly.

Especially after one or three o dark thirty rainy nites when you find out you can not get to where you want to go, can not back up and can not turn around with the dolly attached. After a few of these I think you will understand why I practically gave my dolly away after my first cross country trip of several weeks.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Dave Siegel

• Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!
    • Dave Siegel Designs
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 12:43:38 PM »
Now that's exactly the scenario I have been contemplating. it wouldn't make a difference what I was towing, I couldn't back it up. No way. No how. I am a good big vehicle backer-upper and I am here to tell you that I have tried to back our coach up with a Jeep 4 wheels down and NEVER could do it. For 17 years I drove a fat @$# dually with a 33' car trailer (three axles) from Miami to Chicago and I could back that huge thing into a sub basement garage from the street without ever hitting a guide post. I can't move our bus three feet without tangling a towed so bad you would need a plasma cutter to remove it. I am really not trying to be difficult, just realistic.

I am probably going to hate anything I have to tow, but I am just going to have to get on with it. Maybe it's my heritage, but that extra $1200 bucks sure sounds better in my pocket than in Remco's. If I didn't have to do those modifications I would use a tow bar in a heart beat. Yes! But, the Toyota definetly presents problems. And , to tell you the truth, I haven't even determined if it's a 130 hp or 180 hp model. The 180hp model is not towable under any circumstance. Period.

We have talked about trading the car for  a Saturn, I believe they are towable. But then there's depreciation to consider. No matter which way I turn I feel screwed.

It sucks when you have deep pocket ideas and shallow pockets to work with.

It's come down to having to put up with a little inconvenience in lieu of a fist full of money.

But I will keep everyone posted, we are taking three computers on the road with us.

Thanks again

Dave Siegel
Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
            Pinellas Park, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com

Ace

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 12:58:53 PM »
Dave if you go the tow b ar route and you like Blue OX, sometimes they have really good deals on trade in's. I got mine for a really good price, at the RV Super R/V show in Tampa. I've never used it yet but I may in the future if $usan can ever decide on what type car wshe wants me to pull around. She's (me) is leaning towards a PT Cruiser and when that time comes, I just have to order the car brackets to go with  the hitch I already have.

Like I said, it might be worth it to check them out and if I'm not mistaken, they offer these trade in units on their web site, or at least they used to!

Ace

Dallas

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »
Dave if you go the tow b ar route and you like Blue OX, sometimes they have really good deals on trade in's. I got mine for a really good price, at the RV Super R/V show in Tampa. I've never used it yet but I may in the future if $usan can ever decide on what type car wshe wants me to pull around. She's (me) is leaning towards a PT Cruiser and when that time comes, I just have to order the car brackets to go with  the hitch I already have.

Like I said, it might be worth it to check them out and if I'm not mistaken, they offer these trade in units on their web site, or at least they used to!

Ace

Hey Ace,
You'll pull whatever the Boss tells you to pull. And you'll like it.

Seriously though, you've seen our bus and we have been thinking about something like a '52 GMC/Chevy Panel Delivery. It probably wouldn't weigh much more than a Saturn Vue or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The plus side is that it's simple, easy to pull, and lots of room.

Dallas

Offline mikeH8H-649

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 01:31:47 PM »
Dallas I am with you, that would look great behind your bus,we are still trying to figure what to pull behind us,we would use the little truck that Kathy has but no room for cinnamon,an older panel would be perfect

Ace

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »
Hey there Jeff Gordon fan, when you coming south?

Ace

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 02:58:58 PM »
Dave, to back a four down setup, you must have a co-pilot. The co-pilot can keep the steering wheels from jackknifing and also maintain the proper turning radius.  If Miss Lazy can do it, I guarantee anyone else can. LOL Hope she isn't looking over my shoulder. LOL
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline busguy01

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »
This might sound stupid BUT -- rather than trying to back up with your towed --- Start the towd and PULL the bus back!! Works every time!
JimH
Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 04:20:21 PM »
Yes, that would work if you are only going straight back. However if you need to make a curve, I do not think the bus would follow the toad.

I have had to back up several times while parked in a Flying J or similar truck stop. If you can not find a pull thru empty, then you have to park behind a semi. If you want to leave before him then you need to back up in a curved 90 degree pattern to get out. Using a co-pilot to steer the toad works very good in this case.
Richard

This might sound stupid BUT -- rather than trying to back up with your towed --- Start the towd and PULL the bus back!! Works every time!
JimH

Offline mikeH8H-649

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 06:55:43 PM »
Hey there Jeff Gordon fan, when you coming south?

Ace

who are you talking to Ace?

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 07:26:05 PM »

If the Matrix requires a trans pump...a dolly is the only way to go.   A dolly works fine.   You'll want a matching spare if it doesn't come with one.    I wouldn't care to depend on a trans pump...they may be great...but looks like a potential major failure about to happen.   
I used a dolly to pull  a VW Vanagon from Dayton, Ohio, to Charlotte at 70 plus MPH without any problems at all.  Dollys work.
A dolly can be backed up, sometimes for a right good distance...until it starts to jack.   Backing is contraindicated by the manufacturer, but it can be done.  Have someone watch it.  Once the toad starts to "change lanes" that's as far as you can go. 
A good rearview monitor would be useful in this situation.  Unlike a 4 wheeled cart, they cannot be steered. 
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 07:43:35 PM »
Besides the transmission pump, there's also an axle disconnect for both frong- and real-wheel drive vehicles.  I would assume there's a model for the Matrix.

David

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 05:29:19 AM »
JR, you are absolutely correct. Dollies do work. I operated a U-Haul franchise for several years and rented a lot of dollies over the years. And that is exactly what they are good for in my opinion. Just like your one time use from Dayton to Charlotte.
Where they are a PITA is when you are on vacation or out for any period of time and have to keep un-hooking them and the toad and then hooking them up. And one poster stated he could do it in an hour! I can not imagine having to spend an hour to hook or unhook just to go to the store or exploring something. Maybe I am just too impatient.
I would suggest that until you have spent several weeks out on the road, moving locations every couple of days you rent a dolly instead of purchasing one.
Richard

If the Matrix requires a trans pump...a dolly is the only way to go.   A dolly works fine.   You'll want a matching spare if it doesn't come with one.    I wouldn't care to depend on a trans pump...they may be great...but looks like a potential major failure about to happen.   
I used a dolly to pull  a VW Vanagon from Dayton, Ohio, to Charlotte at 70 plus MPH without any problems at all.  Dollys work.
A dolly can be backed up, sometimes for a right good distance...until it starts to jack.   Backing is contraindicated by the manufacturer, but it can be done.  Have someone watch it.  Once the toad starts to "change lanes" that's as far as you can go. 
A good rearview monitor would be useful in this situation.  Unlike a 4 wheeled cart, they cannot be steered. 
Best, JR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal