Author Topic: What to do with OTR A/C compressor? Sell it? Convert it to air compressor?  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
I've searched the board/archives to try and find out what most of you do with your OTR A/C compressor when you removed OTR air. Nothing appreciable came up in my searches. Is it worth converting it to pump air as an aux air compressor? Or is it worth $$$ on the used market? Or should I pull it and scrap it? Just need some advice. Thanks...

Scott
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: What to do with OTR A/C compressor? Sell it? Convert it to air compressor?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »
I gave mine to my neighbour to take to the metal salvage yard.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:41 PM »
I got $300 for mine from a charter operator.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
Might can sell it to a local operator like Bob suggests.

Or I'd contact Welch Industries 770-474-1150 and see what they'd pay for it. I know the charge a $500 core charge.
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

artvonne

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »
  At something like $2000 or more for a rebuilt with a core, its worth something to somebody.

Im keeping my road air, but im looking into a smaller compressor as well as one with a clutch. Mine shuts down banks by sensing load, but its turning all the time. And I'm really thinking ill never need 14 tons of cooling capacity.

As far as an air compressor, its much larger than anything you would ever need on a Bus.

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »
Called Welch...no luck. They weren't interested. I'll try a local company...see what happens. Thanks for the advice sirs...
Scott & Heather

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »
I was hoping that someone would discuss converting these beasts to a shop air compressor. 

The off-road folks do this routinely with the York style piston compressor.  Here is a company that makes kits based on these compressors:

http://www.onboardair.com/compressors.htm

Many years ago I mounted one in my 56 Chevy to inflate my home brew air suspension (Lincoln bags) and it works great - even today.  I have accumulated the parts to drive one off the bus generator so that I can air up the bus - some day.

The trick to these conversions is how the compressor is lubricated.  The bus AC compressors have a lot CFM capacity, but I am not sure about the lubrication issue.  I have a great Quincy compressor for the shop, but I kept the AC compressor of the the bus for a backup if needed.  Have no idea if it would work.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
  (snip) The trick to these conversions is how the compressor is lubricated.  The bus AC compressors have a lot CFM capacity, but I am not sure about the lubrication issue. 

Yes, this is important.  I've never been involved with a bus sized A/C compressor, but automobile compressors are lubricated by a small amount of oil that circulates through the system with the refrigerant.  When it was first asked "can I make an A/C compressor into an air compressor?", my first thought was "how will you lubricate the internal parts of the compressor?"  I guess you could dribble a little oil into the intake of the compressor at times but you'd still have to filter or condense that oil out of the compressed air (not impossible, but it would take some doing).
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
Bruce, when I first installed the York compressor on the '56 many years ago, the "technology" was just developing.  I was very concerned about lubrication both from a compressor standpoint as well as getting oil into my air springs.  I put a filter on the output line and got very little oil in the filter.  I have run it for years and have never had to add oil.

The York Style compressor has a sump in it.  You can undo a plug and check/add oil (AFTER the system is evacuated - don't ask).  When it is used as an air compressor there is no pressure and you can check the oil easily.  I have never really looked all that closely at the bus AC compressor to see if it has a sump.

With our huge membership of crazy innovators, you would think someone would had tried it.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »
(snip) With our huge membership of crazy innovators,

You are a master of diplomacy, sir!

you would think someone would had tried it.   Jim 

Yes.  And I'm guessing we'll hear about it.  Then we'll hear from another person who says that it can't be done.  Then the person who did it will post "Oh, yeah" and the other person will post "yeah!  No!".
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »
Well I for one have never tired to use one as an air compressor!
But I say got ahead an try it, and let us know it works.

Jim the 05G's have an oil sump too. But it is the same oil that is in the refrigerant also. So it may work like yer old Yorks.

Scott if ya want you could donate it also. I have had several donated in the past an I pass them on to a busnut when needed.

Last one went to a busnut who'd never heard of the boards and didn't even own a computer. He an his wife were both on SSI & Disability and "livin' large" and would travel when & where ever they got the urge until they had exhausted their monthly funds and then they would camp out until the next infusion. (they said they had an emergency fund, but hated to & hardly touched it unless it was a dire emergency!)

I just happened to run across them near by our place hanging out until the sun went down. And when my dogs an I met them and started talking to them I found out their A/C compressor had failed.
So I told them I thought I had one @ my shop that was given to me they could have if it would help.
You'd thought I'd just handed them a mega lottery check!
They followed us back to the shop and he changed it out in less than an hr with what little help he'd let me offer and all that consisted of was I got to lift the old one out, and the "new" one back in for him.
The had plenty of freon stored in the receiver tank and once he fired it up it started blowing cold. They both gave me hugs, and the dogs kisses & treats! And off they drove into the sunset!

The one before that one went to one of our very own here on the board.

So you just may find someone in need some day.
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
Well said Bryce...and I just may do that, but if someone offers me some $$$'s for it, those $$$'s are going towards new tires and suspension for a very tired Toyota Camry with 222,000 miles on it  :-\  But then again, if I were in the exact scenario described, I'd do what you did in a heartbeat.... now, as for the a/c as an air compressor, it has been done with smaller units...I know this for a fact, but I wonder if the compressor is cooled by the refrigerant...I've heard of refrigerant-cooled compressors and that they won't run for long without cool refrigerant running through them...just a thought.
Scott & Heather

Offline belfert

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
Back in 2006 Welch Industries was offering $250 for A/C compressors.  The catch was you had to pay to ship the unit to them.  They offered to arrange shipping, but they said it would cost almost all of the $250.  These probably have to ship freight, but $250 seemed pretty steep even for a freight shipment especially with diesel under $3 back then.

I ended up taking the core to C&J Bus Repair and they took a few hundred off my repair bill.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure that was a good deal. I'll see what I can do about getting it offloaded to a local charter company. Throw it up on Craigslist, and if too much time goes by, I'll scrap it or give it away. I want it gone before we move the coach again in May.
Scott & Heather

Offline joel_newton

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
Scott,  I may need an a/c pump.  Tried a couple of times to send pm.  Can you send me specs via email   joel_newton at pon dot net  Thanks
1998 Dina Viaggio 1000
Detroit Series 60, Allison B500
Near Santa Rosa, California

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal