Author Topic: heip 8v92 ddec2  (Read 37789 times)

Offline busguy01

Re: heip 8v92 ddec2
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
Generally speaking the return line restricter keeps fuel from draining away from injecters - making the engine hard to start. Should have no bearing on your issue. As I recall you said filters were empty when the engine stopped. If so, you have a fuel DELIVERY problem not an electrical one. Get a bucket and a electric fuel pump. Run a line DIRECTLY to the first filter in system. Run engine - if it stops check which filter has fuel and which has not - simple from there.
Jimh
Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida

Offline hargreaves

• 1987 MCI 102A3
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »
Jim not sure if DDEC 11 had the 12volt 24 volt option.It should run on 12 volts. Disconnect the power harness from the bus and make up a separate one.  Use a separate set of batteries on both the positive and negative sides. Install this harness. If the engine still shuts down the problem has to be on the engine side as you have just eliminated the bus side of the wiring That is if the problem is electrical.

In 1990 we had transit engines shutting down on the road with no warning. It ended up being the e prom in the ECM vibrating loose. Roger Penske had 150 ECM,s flown out from Detroit so we could run our buses.  They ended up putting a hold down clamp on the E prom. The problem was extremely frustrating because when the engine cooled it would start up and run.   Good luck  Gerry
now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2011, 04:21:09 AM »
jimh, thanks already did that. jim
jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083

Offline hargreaves

• 1987 MCI 102A3
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
Sorry Jim, getting old, find i'm repeating myself. Lol. sounds llike you have the electrical side covered.

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
thanks gerry. this is what happen today,on the ecm the center plug is the 12 volt power, it is a 6 plug2 out side are 12 volt,2 on the other side is 12volt, center 2 are ground. the other 6 point plugs one on each side of the center12 volt plug. these control the injectors one for one side and one for the other side of engine.well we unplugged one side and engine does not shut down anymore. we are driving it tomorow. know understand this motor replaced a 6v92 about 8 years ago, so the wiring is not all stock, it has some splices and new wires. yes i know it does not sound right.will update tomorrow about the drive. i know there is a lot of busnuts want to know the outcom. thanks to every jim

Offline kevink1955

« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
With 1 injector harness unpluged it should only be runing on 4 cylinders, is it?

Would think you could not drive it that way

Does it continue to run more than 10 min no matter what injector harness you unplug or is it only 1 harness that alows it to run.

Going out on a limb here but if only 1 harness stops the 10 min shutdown could be an injector that shorts when it warms up causing a high current draw shuting down the ECM, a harness going to ground could do the sane thing.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »
OK speaking from experience here. Yes it will run with one side or the other of the injectors not getting power. But it will be GUTLESS! It won't have enough power to get out of it's own way, and will probably not even build enough RPM's to shift!

The one we had that had bad fuse holders did this one morning after it'd been running fine. Dad went to leave on a trip and called me telling me to bring fuel & filters because he thought we had one stopped up.

Well after pulling the filters and finding them full I changed them anyway. But no improvement.
Called Setra's best tech support guy they EVER had and with-in 2 minutes he had me checking those fuses.
As soon as I touched the one that had a bad connection the engine speed picked up and smoothed out. Had dad put it in gear and try to drive it. He took off like a rocket and I had to chase him down to grab my tools & close the battery & engine compartments! (I only wanted him to see if it would go a short distance, not just take off on me)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »
bk &kevin first off bk the fuses by the batterys  seem to be fine and engine is running on 8 clyinders.sounds fine when you push the fuel peddle. thanks jim

Offline kevink1955

« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
On page 5, Ken provided the harness pinouts for the ECM. With 1 of the injector harnesses unpluged it should be runing on 4 cylinders.

Let Us know how it goes when you try to drive it, like BK said it should be a slug

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
bk &kevin first off bk the fuses by the batterys  seem to be fine and engine is running on 8 clyinders.sounds fine when you push the fuel peddle. thanks jim

Jim I'm not saying that IS your problem, just trying to shed some light on how it will act if that is the problem.

And FWIW my fuses & holders LOOKED OK too.
But in reality over time corrosion had built up inside it, and it made poor connections from time to time. After a while I finally got fed up with it and cut both fuse holders out and replaced them. Never a problem since then 6 yrs later!

The only way it's going to run fine with one of them unhooked is if someone has tied them together on up the line somewhere.
And that is highly possible.

The one you unhooked could have a short in it and they could have bypassed the short.
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline kevink1955

« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »
Is it even possiable to hook the harnesses together, does the 2 stroke fire 2 cylinders at the same time?   If not you would be injecting fuel in the 4 spliced cylinders at the wrong time, I guess it would not inject till the rocker pushed the injector. Not exactly sure.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »
Firing order on a 8v92 DDEC is different than a mechanical  

DDEC reads
3R  
3L
4R
4L
2R
2L
1R
1L

Mechanical
1L
3R
3L
4R
4L
2R
2L
1R

The DDEC 1 fires the sames as a mechanical if I remember right and so does a DDEC 11 up to a certain serial number,WW Williams set me some late model cams for a DDEC 11 I installed in a mechanical engine the thing would not fire If I missed the firing order forgive me I just made 72 lol

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline hargreaves

• 1987 MCI 102A3
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »
Jim I think you are very close to solving your problem. Probably an injector harness grounding  out.  Good luck     Gerry

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
 :-*update ITS FIXED. found the ghost wire. it was in the rear box on drivers side. there is about 6 breakers in a row one wire was still hooked to the top of breaker but the breaker was cracked. wiring papers said it went to engine shut down.this was 12 volt that fed ecm on all the time.took it for about 20 miles,runs great. i am a happy camper. thats to all of you ideas, good luck jim

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »
Wooo hooooo! Glad to hear ya finally found it.
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal