Author Topic: Not officially bus stuff, but sending Mom & Dad to Cozumel. Need suggestions.  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
OK so mom & dad just celebrated their 50th anniversary and as a gift my sister & I (sorta) are sending them on a cruise to Cozumel.

Well OK truth is, it is sorta bus related as they pick up 2 bus loads of people in the "Boot heel" of Missouri and take them to New Orleans, LA for a cruise.

Once in New Orleans they unload the buses and lock them up and get on the boat with their passengers.
The trip is all paid for and the only thing mom & dad will have out of pocket is what they do on their day on the island @ Cozumel.

They are looking for suggestions on things for them to do there.
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
There's a national park there called Chankanaab.  It got beat up pretty bad by a hurricane maybe 5 years ago now but I expect it has recovered by now.  They don't need an organized tour to go there - just hail a cabbie at the cruise dock and tell him they want to go to Chankanaab.  We spent a whole day there with no problem - there's lots of organized fun but all we did was rent snorkel equipment and eat at the beach restaurant.  It used to be a great snorkel spot because the fish came right up to the beach.  I think that got beat up bad by the hurricane but I haven't been back since.  Actually we were back the year after but the park was still closed at that time.  Its only like a $5 cab ride out of town so its a really cheap fun day, made to order for a cheap SOB like myself.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
If you can snorkel or scuba Cozumel is great.  I worked on a cruise ship in the Caribbean for 5 months years ago.  We stopped at Cozumel a lot, but all I ever did was snorkel.   There was a ferry to Playa del Carmen and back in the day that was a very pretty endless beach....also Tulum was a short bus ride away.  But really, on cruise ships they will have all the good info on board for short excursions etc...my ship had scuba lessons as well....couple of days of on board instruction and off you go into the deep.

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
I also second the suggestion for Chankanaab. For the limited time that a cruise ship is in port, it's a very relaxing and affordable way to experience the beaches & snorkeling of Cozumel without much effort.  Just hail a cab at the terminal.

The main shopping area is also quite accessible from the terminal, if that's what they would prefer. And plenty of tequila bars around to be found :)  We found one place that was tasting about 40 different tequilas... didn't pay a dime for a nice buzz before returning to the ship.

Other than that, the ship will offer many organized shore excursions...  ranging from sailing, snorkeling, SCUBA, horse back riding, AWD excursions, swimming with dolphins and more.

Hope your parents have a blast on their 50th Anniversary bus ride to a ship adventure :)

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline letz4wheel

I tend to think they need a chaparone...do you see my hand up and waving  ;D ;D I hope they have a great time!
'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71

Offline Busted Knuckle

Thanks for the tips.
They are near 70 yrs old (dad 69 & mom 67) so I don't picture them doing the scuba thing. (although they could fool me)
They don't drink so I can't picture the Tequila tasting. (Although that would be my choice!)

Let's not mention shopping dad already has his hands full enough here. (I have been told that in Panama {where I was born} when I was an infant m they would go out in the "zone" and mom would be carrying me, dad would have my sister's hand with one hand and dragging mom with the other while the local "peddlers" were trying to drag mom off the other way to sell her stuff! {just heard the reminder of this the other day when it was brought up that they'd need to figure out what to do in Cozumel!)

Both like the outdoors and I think the AWD excursion, horseback riding or exploring Chankanaab might be off interest to them.

Thanks again, I'll pass this on. Although I really suspect that since they lived in Panama for 4 yrs (40 yrs ago), they will feel "somewhat back @ home" once their feet hit the dock.
;D  BK  ;D

PS this is their first cruise unless you count their Navy ride to & from the States.
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline rusty

Just got back from that cruise today. Tulum was very interesting the only problem is it is a lot to get in in one day with the 45 minute ferry ride and the 45 minute bus ride ( both one way). Are they going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman to ? One of the most fun part of our cruise was when my grandson, my son and I went on a tour of the ship and seen all the stuff you don't get to see. Something my grandson will never forget ( me to).

Wayne

Offline eddiepotts

I hope they have a great time on their cruise. I just got back on the 12th. Just to give  you some hints of what not to forget. Don't forget everyone over 21 can bring on a bottle of wine or champagne 750ml. Everyone can bring a 12 pack of bottled water or sodas. The soda is not free on the cruise. They must be brought on through your carry on luggage.

The seas were rough on or way to Progresso they even tapped bags by the elevators for some that needed them. Bring your Dramamine. It was high dollar on the boat and you do not want to be sick waiting for it to work.

I would suggest to bring Their own cup with a lid and if possible a straw. We bought some at wally world that were insulated. It is nice to have it sitting around the pool full of iced tea or the soda that you brought. It may just be me but I hate drinking from public glasses. Do all you can from getting sick. Don't walk around licking your fingers lol. Make your mom take hand sanitizer in her purse.

There is not much in Progresso so we stayed in the shops at the dock and went back to the boat to hang out at the pool. There is a cheap little bar there that looked to be having a good time. One of the reasons is the night we leave we are worn out. Then we sleep in on our day at sea. Stay up until 2 or 3 am and that 7o'clock roll call to the excursion is just not going to happen for us. Why they pull in at 7 and leave at 3 I have no idea. 9 to 5 would be great for me.

Now in Cozumel we went to paradise beach. We took a cab and for the four of us it was $13 one way and $2 for the beach and pool or $12 to use the inflatables and kayaks. The weather was great so we played in the ocean. They also have their pool heated if it is a cool day.

I hate what I call trinket shopping so I can't tell you where to get the best deals. I feel if you don't know where you’re going to put it you can't buy it. What are my kids really going to do with a marble dolphin or a wind chime? See my point? I am not going to use any of it. I will save my money for the new digital camera and show pictures that I have been somewhere instead of a t-shirt.

Speaking of cameras at Best Buy I did buy a Kodak sport digital camcorder that is water proof. It is a small as an Iphone so easy to carry around. Just make sure you have an 8g card for it. I am not endorsing any of this just something cool for you snorkelers and people with young swimmers. I want to say it was only $120 or so. look it up it was cheap enough. The Sony I bought for my wife was more and she never took it out of her suitcase.

For the smokers. DO NOT BUY TO TAKE ON THE BOAT. You can only bring back 2 cartons per person. Once you get on the boat, the shops open and it is $52 for 2 cartons or $105 for 5 cartons.

For the drinkers. I think it was $34 for 2 one litter Crown royals. You cannot get the liquor until the last night of the cruise.

I know I am all over the place with this but I am typing as I think about it. One of the things I did not like was that I never heard any Jimmy Buffet. there was not a very good music choice for the cruise. I did not want to watch Cher on the big screen or Justin Bieber. we heard more Cindy Lopper than anything. Someone really needs to address the music. Most of the time on the big screen it was showing infomercials on their other boats. It was not fun to watch every day even the last one, where it was cold, almost over and they were showing what it should be like. Well it was not like that for us that day!

One of the other things to think about is your dinner time choices. If you have a room full of girls do the late seating. I grantee that you can't get back on the boat at 4 and have all of you showered and made pretty by 6:00 working from your compct mirrors. All the shows play twice. I like the late seating because when we do get back from or long day we like to relax by the pool and not rushed for anything. We go to the pizza line for a snack if needed.

I know your mom and dad may not have the same fun we do on a cruise but there is something for everybody. They will love it if the get out and enjoy it all. Make sure they understand the vacation is on the boat. The stops are just a perk.

Offline TomC

Make sure to see the old (I think Mayan or similar) ruins in the middle of the island.  I went a few years ago on a scuba trip (I realize the age of your parents).  Cozumel has probably the best lazy man diving I've ever experienced (I've done well over 100 dives).  The dive boat drops you off at the south end of the reef, then you go down only about 40ft and just drift or get propelled by the current.  You're going at about a fast walking pace, and just enjoy the coral and critters.  Since it is relatively shallow, you just keep diving until you use up your air (typically around 30-40 minutes) and pop the surface and wave at the dive boat.  They come over and pick you up, take the gear off your back before entering the boat, change your equipment over to the second tank for you, and give you a plate of fruit before the second dive. Marvelous! 
But-I'm sure you're parents will find a tour to go on with the ship.  I always encourage passengers to use the ships tours (although more expensive) because if the tour is late coming back to the ship-the ship will wait.  If you're on a private tour and are late-wave good-by to the ship and hope you can catch up with them at the next port.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
Surf and Turf at the Mission (or Casa Mission) in Cozumel - I know they like to eat  ;D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
If the fish are half as good as they were before the hurricane they really need to snorkel.  If I can do it then any fool can.  All you have to do at Chankanaab is walk into the water, lie down and look at the pretty fish.  Its really literally that simple.  Go about waist deep, lie down and look around. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Busted Knuckle

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have copied and pasted them on a office org document and printed it for them.

By the ways Niles, I'm sure they will especially like yours.
Dad has asked me several times lately what you've been up to, and if I ever hear from you.
I tell him you pop in on the board from time to time & you are being you. Be safe a & stop in when in the area!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline Busted Knuckle

Mom said thank you to all of you for the tips!
She is making copies to share with other passengers on the buses.
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal