Author Topic: L.E.D.'s  (Read 8383 times)

Ace

L.E.D.'s
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:43:28 AM »
I've been doing some research on these and was surprised to find out that they make an exact replacement for my lights direct from the  dealer.

No splicing, just plug and go!

Prices are not cheap but not that bad considering how many there are on just the rear end of my H3. (12) not counting the 2 back-up lights! They also have side marker lights and cap marker lights all in L.E.D.! Once it's completely done, it should light up like a christmas tree.

The company that makes them (Dialight) also list them as an upgrade for older MCI and Van Hool coaches.

Going to thier web site tells you nothing except part numbers and even that isn't much help as each mfgr has thier own number!

In fact I had to call Canada to get the part numbers for mine because nobody in the states knew anything about them!

Hmm, wonder which I should get first? An Awning, Air Pressure monitor, or LED's

Beingoff work sure has it's downfalls! :)

Ace

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
Re: L.E.D.'s
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 01:46:45 PM »
Sorry I didn't tell you before, I replaced all mine and have the numbers.  You're right, they are not cheap, I spread it out over 2 1/2 years.

I bought replacement backup lights from IBP, and I'm very happy with them, much brighter than stock, I can almost see back there now.  Dialight does not make the backup LED's that I know of.

Here is a pic of the back with the backup lights before I  replaced the last 4 of those puppies.  You don't have to beef up the wiring to add these lights.

065530   pigtail for tail light
065529   pigtail for stop light
065528   pigtail for turn signal light

930363   Red LED Tail light assy
930362   Amber LED Tail light assy

930334   Red LED Marker
930337   Amber LED marker

930380   Red LED side
930376   Amber LED side

I might add that I did find the side markr LED's that are brighter from a wider angle than Prevost has, and they are $7 each cheaper.  Trucks and Stuff.  I dont know if they are a chain and back east, but they are available.  I never did find the Dialites any cheaper anywhere else.  Let me know if you want to get them, I will help.
I just looked again at the pic, the bus sure was dirty when I took this.  Oh well.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline H3Jim

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:05:10 PM »
Oh, and another thing that is mildly irritating especially for the money that they cost.  They do not fit exactly.  You have to grind the corners off either the lights or grind into the fiberglass to enlarge the corner slightly to get them to go in the holes.  I ground the corners off the lights, when the dealer installs them, they grind into the fiberglass.  This is ony for the big rectangular ones, all the others fit  well.

There are 5 stop lights and 4 running lights.  Using the pigtails, you keep that stock lighting arrangement.  The Prevost service manager told me of one of his customers that was not sure they would be bright enough and had him wire it so there were 9 of each.  For reference, each of the red  Dialites has three wires, a ground and two sets of internal LEDs, one set is for running and the other is for the stop lights.  Normally when they are installed, you only use either the stop light set or the running light set in each fixture.  Anyway his customer had him wire them so all 9 lit up for  the running lights, and all nine got a lot brighter for the stop lights. The service manager said when the customer left and put on the brakes, (it was night) he really lit up the wall at the back of the yard which was 100 yards away.  That same customer got a ticket from the California Highway patrol for having his lights being too bright.  So not to fear, they are bright enough.
Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Ace

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:09:55 PM »
Jim thanks and after cross referencing your numbers to mine, I find they are exact!

I didn't search the side marker lights but since you gave them to me here I'll be sure to keep them!

If and when I do these I will probably put them back like they are now! Nothing fancy like the customer you refer to. LOL

Thanks again...
Ace

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks ACE,

Now I can finish my stop and turn tail lights.

Dialight is about 55 miles up the road from me and I didn't know they carried bus fixtures....Humm

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline H3Jim

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:22:24 PM »
Nick, those are Prevost part numbers, not dialite
Jim Stewart

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:39:17 AM »
Come on Jim,

They list MCI #s on their site too.....LOL

Nick-
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 05:54:53 AM »
Nick,

Good luck finding the right ones for 24V from Dialight! If ya'll remember I was asking about a yr ago on how to reduce the voltage to 12V so I could onstall a set I aquired for Dad's 102A3 (we still got 'm, just ain't been able to get Dad to back it in the shop long enough to install 'm! LOL!). But when I get home tonight in this bus I just picked up last night, I bet it won't take long for Dad to wanna get his installed ! These are way too cool! I'll check & see if they are 12 or 24 Volt too ! I have the 12 Volt #'s at home and if these are 24 Volt I'll have them too! Now even after you have the part #'s Nick good luck getting any assistance from Dialight as far as buying them anywhere at a reasonable price they would only refer me too MCI for mine! I have thought about seeing if I can become a distribuor for them through the garage though! I just wonder if there are enough of use here who are interested to make it worth while? BK  ;D

PS let me know if ya need those part #'s !
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 06:30:04 AM »
Hi BK,

If you go into their site, under their Bus Signals, you can scroll down to series #80

= 4"x 6.5" Amber or Red, 12v or 24v. Mounting Bracket type, 2 way packard connector.

Exact size for my 102C3.....

Hope this helps

Nick-

Ace

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:09:30 AM »
Has anyone used the direct replacement LED bulbs that fit in the OEM base such as 67, 1156,1157 etc.?

How do they work as in are they as good as led bases etc.?

Mine are 12v and I have found 12v LED on regular bulb bases that appear to cheaper in price! Some have 9, 12, 15 led's dependingonwhat you choose!

Ace

Ace

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 07:44:15 PM »
What was I smokin, er drinking?  ???

I don't think 12v will work so nevermind!

Ace

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »
Hello all.

I'll suggest you want to be careful in choosing side LED lights for turn signal use.

The ones Prevost has installed these last couple years are HORRIBLE. You can't see them in the daytime, which is a real problem when trying to change lanes in the city, no visible flashing up the side of the coach.

Orion, the transit coach folks, have a much better side turn signal lamp in LED, with LED's aimed front and rear through the plastic. Sorry, I haven't ID'd the manufacturer yet...

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline H3Jim

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 06:39:01 PM »
Those are the ones I looked at from Truckin Stuff.  The LED's are mounted so they point both forward, backard and straight out.  Much better than  Prevost's early efforts.  In fact, to the service manager's credit, he steered me away from those first ones.  Trucks and stuff sell these for $14.99 each, and they are an exact replacement for the side lights Prevost uses.

Like Buswarrior, I do not have an mfg or part number for these. If I got up off my keyster, I could go to the store and get a number, but that might take a while...
Jim Stewart

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 08:38:08 PM »
Ace, is Trucks and Stuff on line?  If so, what is their address?

Offline H3Jim

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 08:47:04 PM »
Let me jump in here...

All I have is a card from a local store. 

www.truckin-stuff.com

1666 A. North Magnolia AVe
El Cajon, Ca.  92020
619-448-6601

Incidentally, I found out about this store from Frank, the guy that has that beautiful black scenicruiser he  posted a pic of a while back.   I went to see him, and he mentioned  this store as the place where he bought the 4" chrome letters that he put on the front.  Very talented guy.

Jim Stewart

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal