Author Topic: extra on board air compressor?  (Read 9223 times)

Offline Ace

Re: extra on board air compressor?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »
I learned from the beginning of my conversion/s that you just have to do what you feel is best for you because nobody is right in my opinion. I don't care what you do, someone someplace on these boards ( i said THESE) is NOT going to agree with what you did whether it worked or not or even if it was supposed to work! But one thing is for sure, IF it came down to having something like a compressor on board and NOT needing it or needing IT and NOT having it on board.... uh what do you think the common sense in my mind is saying? Yea it might be stupid to some people but again, I haven't seen too many smart intelligent college graduate type people with too much common sense lately!

Do what you think is best for YOU because the smart ones that know it all are gonna be hard to find when your stuck on the side of the road! I've been here a long time and I have seen a LOT of so called wisdom eatin'!
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
Back up auxiliary systems are that.   To support auxiliary use!!  Emergency---emergency! back up to remove one from a threatening situation.  My coach has a emergency brake overrule tank for this purpose with a separate Green Labeled valve to get me out of harms way.  Not all coaches have them.  Common sense is our biggest tool ---use it wisely..    Not a lecture..just use wisely.  I have one and will continue to do so. I also have a back up 110 volt 4 station battery charger like we use to charge our battery in the bass boat to maintain my batteries when parked. Used it once( with gen set ) to charge batteries up when we ran to long on them  without charging....Long story forgot to switch it on for the week we were parked.   Took about 10 minutes and bus fired rite up.  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Busgeek

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »
Having the aux compressor is a good idea however you decide to do it.  I have one I rarely need but it's good to know it's there.  I helped a friend install one and it is used all the time. Hope this helps.

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
I have a small compressor, a 3500 generator and a larger battery charger on board.  My bus is old,  the chances that I need to repair something because the engine is down are fairly high.  Without the comp and gen that would be hard, it is also obnoxious to run the bus engine just to air up etc

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
Dear friends,

For those of you who DO have an auxiliary AC-powered compressor connected as a backup and/or to air up the bus in the campground, how about a diagram or a picture of where you connected it?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Well, speaking from experience, when you have not taken the time to install your 2 hp Harbor Freight oil type compressor in your bus, and you neglect to take it with you in the bay,
and your engine based air compressor breaks in Oakley, KS, you are then up a creek without a compressor and your only logical alternative is to spend $200 at the local NAPA store
for an oil-less compressor that you can plug in and connect to your air system to get you to your destination where you will be able to fix the broken compressor.

So now I have another compressor, and it's riding around inside the bus, till I get time next spring to mount it in a bay where it will be used in conjunction with my
air bag leveling system, for airing up the bus prior to starting the engine, and for emergency use.  I already have a connection on my auxiliary tank for connecting air tools, but
also plan to make this compressor easily removable so it will still be portable.  

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 04:58:14 AM »
My MCI has a ping tank (discharge muffler for people without OEM MCI Operators Manuals) that has a place for a fill valve on it.  This is located in the engine bay forward wall, and is the first thing in line after the air compressor on the engine.  I put a quick connect fitting and a close-off valve (since I don't trust QD fittings all that much), and I use a male-male connector to attach my air compressor hose.  My air compressor rides in the water tank bay, since it is well insulated.  With the bay door closed it's acceptably quiet.  I only connect it to the bus when I need it, I don't normally have it connected.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline uemjg

• jerry
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »
a side question on the air needs of a bus:

1. if a bus is stationary is it better to leave aired up or down?

2. in a perfect world I know that an air bag suspension & brakes will hold air forever, but is that more the exception than the rule?

3. how long will a "good" or "decent" air suspension hold its air?

FYI...while driving my air regulator is releasing air at 120lbs very regularly, but the system seems to deflate after about 3-4 days.

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
My suspension will hold all winter. I might be one of the lucky ones. I took the auto leveling out and level manually.

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 06:33:03 AM »
My bus holds air not bad when it's warm and when I have been using it, it will air down to 60 PSI over night.  But my suspension stays up for weeks when it's warm, so it is not bleeding down very quickly.  I think keeping air in all the time is fine.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline uemjg

• jerry
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 06:40:02 AM »
what happened to the post with the pictures of the extra onboard compressor and connections?

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
Here's a shot of mine. I only connect it up to the auxiliary when I'm parked to hold the bus level and to air up the entire system before hitting the road. I also use it for other things when we're parked, but I never leave it connected inline when we're moving or the diesel is running. There is no way I would trust a plastic airline or the fittings attached to them.  HTH
Will

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal