Author Topic: air pressure on 1972 silver eagle  (Read 6680 times)

Offline Flatspot

Re: air pressure on 1972 silver eagle
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »
Can't answer to fittings on the port but I doubt you will find a QD fitting and if there is one it will be one that won't fit anything you have. That's my luck.
I know a guy that drive his Eaggel from Colorado, to Michigan, all around Wisconsin and back to New Mexico on the oiless pancake compressor bought at a big box home improvement center. It was run off the inverter/gen set for the duration. (I'm not recommending this)
You should be able to get 10 miles to home to work on it before you go anywhere else. Make sure that it builds to 120 psig and maintains pressure there.
Test the brakes by making a brake application and make sure that you don't have any ruptured/dry rotted brake diaphragms. It will be a gross air leak and a big drop in air pressure. If they release and no leaking diaphragms, drive slow and all the disclaimer stuff so you can't say...but they told me it was OK...
I think you are on the right track to get it in to friendly territory to work on as long as you have and maintain  90+ air pressure you should have brakes
Good luck and no I'm not the guy that made the trip. It was a leak on the fitting to the inlet of the air drier and it took multiple governors and compressor change outs to get to that end.

Congratulations on your purchase

Larry

Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)

Offline ronnie32567

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
hi Bob, I missed your post about my location,   Crestview, florida
1972 Eagle conversion 8-71 dd, 4 diesel pickups, diesel tractor , diesel bulldozer  Crestview, Florida

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
lots of bus nuts in Florida.. I winter in Silver Springs   Good luck.  If you modify your profile put you location  and you will find guys close to you that will like to help.  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
Several nuts in your area: Destin   Ft  Walton Beach.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »
are you revving up to 1000rpms.  mine just sort of sits when i'm idling (@500rpms), at about 70lbs.  finally, it will start filling the front tank, then both will go up normally.  Seems to have a bump at 70psi at idle.  rev it up a little and everything goes up fine the rest of the way.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 05:54:43 AM »
On my bus the gauge reads the pressure in the dry tank - the main brake tank.  There is a pressure protection valve set at around 65 psi between the dry tank and all the rest of the air system.  When filling from scratch, the pressure builds up to 65 psi or so fairly quickly, since only the wet tank and the dry tank are getting filled at that point.  Then, when the pressure protection valve opens, the rest of the air system starts to fill.  It is quite a large volume - the emergency tank, the accessory tank and the whole air suspension system - and it must fill to 65 psi before the gauge starts to move again, and at idle that can indeed seem to take forever.  On my bug, again, the fast idle system is part of the accessory system and it won't bring the bus on to fast idle until the accessory system has around 70 psi in it.  If the original poster's bus gets up to 70 psi OK, then can't get over than, suspect a leak in the suspension or accessory or emergency systems. 

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
  (snip)   If the original poster's bus gets up to 70 psi OK, then can't get over than, suspect a leak in the suspension or accessory or emergency systems. 
Brian

Yeah, that's about right - failure to air up past the protection valve setting is a pretty obvious clue.  For what it's worth,  I had to entirely redo my brake system -- everything from the governor (remote) to the S-cams is new.  I have a wet tank, two brake tanks (all these are plumbed "direct" except for one-way valves) and an accessory tank.  The accessory tank has a 70 PSI protection valve.  My system airs up to ~ 115 in a little over a minute; I can hear the protection valve open when the main tank gauge reads 70 but it doesn't appear that the filling rate slows down much at that point.  I have rigged up a gauge for each tank, to get the system going, I had to use a couple of old gauges temporarily until I can get new ones.  I can hear a tiny air leak in two of the old gauges but if I air up to 120 pounds, it only falls 7-8 psi in an hour.  So, there must not be any substantial air leaks.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »
Eagles have 5 tanks they will hang around 70 lbs till the 2 front tanks fill White Eagle has it figured out no jello bags on the suspension to fill he can go from tank to tank and see if they are filling or has a valve stuck each tank has a automatic air drain if one leaks the air stops there if one is leaking unscrew it plug it or install a manual type drain and fwiw they will not pressure up till all 5 are full

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal