Author Topic: Losing Air Pressure. Need Your Advice  (Read 13458 times)

Offline Oonrahnjay

Re: Losing Air Pressure. Need Your Advice
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »
  The way I would do it buy and install a heat transfer tube about 18 inches long and be done with (snip)

As an aside, my bus (many details very different from what you see on N American built buses) has a finned metal pipe from the compressor, looping around the engine, to a frame rail and then up to an "oil condenser".  That pipe is approximately 14 feet in total length.  It would be way overkill to graft something like that into one of your buses, but I'm glad that I have it. 
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline DKO

• Boggsblogs
No Need to Fuss
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
Don't worry about it guys I just appreciate the fact that you all are willing to help with the information and expertise that you have. Joe if I were near you I would be glad to pay your rate for a repair and Bob if I were near you I would buy that dinner. Either way I would probably make a friend and have the bus fixed too. Good deal.

I am still working on this end to find somebody willing AND able to work on it. I am 220 miles from Prevost in Ft. Worth and much closer to OKC and then Tulsa is another 100 miles. If I can not get it repaired here I will be attempting another patch and going one of those directions. Either Prevost Ft. Worth for complete replacement or some where in OKC/Tulsa for repair. I need to go to Missouri on the 14th so I would naturally rather go that direction.

I know that some would rather me not move from this spot without completely replacing the hose but unfortunately that is not possible. I do understand the danger/cost/inconvenience of complete loss of air pressure on the road but I can't stay here forever.

I do appreciate all the help.

God bless,

DKO
Home is where you go when there's no place else to go!
1995/96 Prevost XL Vantare

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
would it help to have a 2ft piece of that hose? if so will cut and send UPS or your choice tomorrow. just click on my signature and send me a message.  Bob   ck message line above  blue line
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
Wow! Been on the road since the 2nd! And had no idea all this was going on.
I can just say that what Clifford, Bob & others say about splicing work safely. And (as usual) Clifford is on the $ about these failing regularly from being too hot. (yes I know it was rubbing there too, but the heat helped it fail as well!)

About Jefferson in OKC. Yes DKO it is a bus place.
Jefferson Truck & Bus.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Jefferson%20Truck%20%26%20Bus%20Oklahoma%20City%2C%20OK&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline DKO

• Boggsblogs
Thanks
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Wow! Been on the road since the 2nd! And had no idea all this was going on.
I can just say that what Clifford, Bob & others say about splicing work safely. And (as usual) Clifford is on the $ about these failing regularly from being too hot. (yes I know it was rubbing there too, but the heat helped it fail as well!)

About Jefferson in OKC. Yes DKO it is a bus place.
Jefferson Truck & Bus.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Jefferson%20Truck%20%26%20Bus%20Oklahoma%20City%2C%20OK&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

;D  BK  ;D

Thank you very much.

DKO

Offline gus

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »
Not a thing wrong with a good air line splice, there are couplings made for just that purpose. I do it all the time.

After all, we aren't dealing with humongous pressures here - 150 psi at most.

However, splicing a braided hose might be a totally different animal, never done one of those.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
Mailed parts this am to Davy:::: Compression rated 3000psi for the stainless steel teflon hose that is rated at 1200 psi plus a #10 to 1/2 pipe in case he doesn't have enough slack---hole is only few inches from compressor.  Could use street elbow and short nipple if he needs a little extra length..Should hold 150lb  he is working with.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline DKO

• Boggsblogs
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
Mailed parts this am to Davy:::: Compression rated 3000psi for the stainless steel teflon hose that is rated at 1200 psi plus a #10 to 1/2 pipe in case he doesn't have enough slack---hole is only few inches from compressor.  Could use street elbow and short nipple if he needs a little extra length..Should hold 150lb  he is working with.

Thank you very much, Bob. May God bless you for your kindness and help. That goes for everybody that has posted. God bless you all.

I will bring everybody up to date when I make some progress. If there is anybody near Blair, Lawton, OKC, Tulsa, Joplin or Neosho that can physically guide me in this I would appreciate it. I called Jefferson in OKC and they are suppose to get back to me.

Thanks again,

DKO

Offline DKO

• Boggsblogs
Fixed-Thank you
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
I took the BoggsMobile to Altus, Oklahoma (About 15 miles from where I am) today and had the air line fixed.

The plan was to use the reusable fitting that Bob sent and either use a union and another reusable fitting to couple where the hole was OR come out of the compressor with a longer pipe and connect to it. Turns out he did neither. The air line was previously was routed under and hard against two ground wires and moving it above them gave us plenty of slack as Bob and others thought it would.

By doing that and using an Aeroquip reusable fitting the mechanic was able to hook directily to the elbow coming out of the compressor. The female end on the Aeroquip fitting screwed directly on the to existing fitting. It was perfect.

The old fitting. The hole where the new fitting was installed is about 4-6 inches from this fitting.

New fitting hooked to the compressor...

The air line was routed under these two ground cables and you can see where it rubbed. The "stuff" you can see is actually from the plastic wrapping around the ground cables and the air line appears to be in good shape. I may wrap some of the air line with rubber heater hose in places where it comes any where near other lines and hoses.

While this fixed my air leak I believe I may have other leaks. Tomorrow is a travel day so next week if it is not too cold in Missouri I will investigate and perhaps be back with more questions.

Thank you all so much. robertglines1 (Bob) went way beyond the call of duty and to you sir I give double honor! Thank you very, very much.

God bless,

DKO

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal