Author Topic: Anyone use a tool cart when working on their bus?  (Read 4709 times)

Offline belfert

Anyone use a tool cart when working on their bus?
« on: January 09, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a tool cart for working on my bus.  Right now I end up schlepping parts and tools back and forth from my garage every time I work on the bus.  I could just roll a cart in and out of the garage quite easily.

There are two styles.  One style has a sliding top and the other has a top that opens upward.  The models with the opening top need to be open for the drawers to top.

Any opinions on tool carts and the two different styles?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Anyone use a tool cart when working on their bus?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
Looks like an efficient way to do things.  It would not work well for me since my area is completely unpaved, and those little wheels won't work.  Also, I like to keep getting up and walking back and forth from the garage to increase the exercise value.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »
Brian we have & use 2 of them like the bottom on all the time! Don't know what it's be like without them.
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:31:03 AM »
BK, I'm surprised you don't have regular tool boxes, but a tool cart is probably less money.  Any issues with having to open the top to release the drawers?  I kinda like the split top for working area, but the split top ones are smaller.

A tool cart would really come in handy when it starts to rain sooner than I figured it might.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »
BK, I'm surprised you don't have regular tool boxes, but a tool cart is probably less money.  Any issues with having to open the top to release the drawers?  I kinda like the split top for working area, but the split top ones are smaller.

A tool cart would really come in handy when it starts to rain sooner than I figured it might.

Brian,
You've seen my tool box that big teal colored box about the size of you car. (And dads "Job Box" is almost as big.)
It's a lot easier to have 2 carts loaded with the basic tools for any job in the drawers and then lay specific tools for a specific job in the top & roll them to the work area than to get 2 or 3 people to help me push my box around. (we use 2 so dad or I can each have one @ different buses)

Also remember bus parts are heavy. You start puting heavy parts on those slide tops for a work area and you won't have to slide them long. (they won't be there to slide)

And no actually we don't have a problem with having to raise the lid to open drawers. Once sitting where we are working we leave the lid up.
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »
I had all my race car tools in a top box, I would bring it out to the trailer, or back inside the shop depending on what I was doing.  The problem was that even just the top box was 200 lbs.  I tend to use a rolling tray if anything for temporary jobs now.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Van

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
I myself need more of an off-road toolbox, since there are no self propelled ones I just use the back of our truck.
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
Brian, I built a 2'X4' roll around table with a shelf. I roll the table and my tool box up to a bus and can lay out parts and tools as I work. I am thinking about building one 3x5 so I can have more room. By useing the table I dont have to clean my tools and put them back in the box until I am ready to, I can also clean and lay out all of my bolts and gaskets and what ever else I may need and go to work that way I am not wasting time running back and foruth to the shop

Works for me

Don

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »
I have a cart that I use.  Becomes a catch-all, but saves a lot of trips to the garage.  I wouldn't be without it.

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
I am one step above Van. My tool cart is powered by an 8V71, and i live in it. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline belfert

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »
I ended up buying a slightly version of the second tool cart pictured from Craigslist for less than half of the new cost.

If I was going to buy the one in the first picture it would have been from Amazon most likely as I will getting a bunch of Amazon gift cards in a month or so.  I missed one of these on Craigslist for $40 the other day by an hour or two.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
Brian,

I personally don't think you will find a tool cart like you've shown to be very useful. First of all, it's not going to work well in the dirt/grass. The wheels are too thin and will sink in.

I would recommend you go down to menards, northern tool, or Harbor Freight and get yourself a lawn wagon with pneumatic tires on it. it will have flip down sides and a handle
like you'd have on a Flyer wagon. You can flip it up and put all your tools in it and pull it anywhere you want to. If you get the small one, you can probably fit it in a bay and take
it with you to use on your rocket launch excursions. Plus, you can use it for all sorts of yard work. I have one here, and use it all the time around the house and on the bus.

You will  never get all the tools you need in the first pass, so will always be going back to the garage for something else. But when it comes time to put it all away, it's just one trip
with the wagon loaded!

Just my 2 cents...

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 05:18:29 AM »
I use a Chevy Express van with a tool box, cabinets, drawers.  pulls right up to the work area of the bus.  Easy wide open double doors.  Most of the lubricants, rust prevention (no Eagle jokes, please), graphite, liquid wrench, etc, right there also. 
The only problem is i have to open a beverage and take a break whenever Fran has to go to the store  ;D ;D ;D.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
You can get inflatable caster type wheels at harbor freight. Put two straight one and two caster type, then a little red wagon type tow handle and it would probably be ok. Thats what i did to my tool cart, my welder cart and my racetrack genny with satisfactory results.
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline belfert

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »
Whatever end of the bus I'm working is usually parked at the end of my paved driveway so going off road should not be a issue fortunately.  I normally back the bus in so the engine is hard to work on, but I turn the bus around when doing serious engine work.

I'll just have to see what happens when I start using the tool cart.  I can always sell it if it doesn't work out.

Offline paulrobie

• MciBusTalk - One Community
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:14 AM »
I just usually keep them in my pockets... IJS..
Admin at http://mcibustalk.com
Happy Grandfather of 3
Loving Husband of 1
Owner of a 1981 MCI - MC 9

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
I just usually keep them in my pockets... IJS..

Paul either your not doing much work on your bus, or you have some VERY BIG pockets! LOL!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal