Author Topic: Shower system for buses!  (Read 1427 times)

Offline grantgoold

Shower system for buses!
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
A plumber friend has recommended the following system for a leakproof shower for the bus. Anyone installed this system. He install a unit in our home and it looks great!

http://www.schluter.com/index.aspx

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline fraser8

• Fraser
  • 1972 Prevost
    • Old Ambulance
Re: Shower system for buses!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:32:47 AM »
Holmes on homes highly recommends the product and uses it all the time. It's touted as the best.
Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
I've used the Kerdi membrane for tile shower walls, it works quite well.  You have to be careful of what kind of thin-set mortar you use to install it, I forget if you use modified or unmodified (I installed it three years ago) but if you use the wrong kind it takes a month for the mortar to dry.  I wouldn't install a shower without it.  They also have a neat shower floor pan kit, drain kits, etc.  Mind you, I wouldn't put a tile shower in a bus due to weight, but that's just me.   :D

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »
I am going to have to re-build my shower soon and I love the Kerdi membrane.  Seems a little thick at 8mil. 

Would it make sense to use a lightweight tile to install over this membrane as opposed to ceramic tiles?

I am searching for possibly fiberglass, plexiglass, plastic type tiles.  Any other ideas opposed to buying the 4x8 sheets of FRP from home depot?

I was thinking maybe clear or frosted plexiglass panels pressed into a tinted/colored thinset against the Kerdi membrane.  Might look neat to have the colored thinset under the plexiglass. 

Any other creative ideas for this?

thanks.

-Sean
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'