Author Topic: Rear axle oil age/condition  (Read 1854 times)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Rear axle oil age/condition
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:59:43 AM »
After seeing the discussion on syn oil. Would like to point out that as a  maintance ck every once in awhile doen't hurt to pull plug and ck rear end oil condition.  Look for metal particles. If you don't know history of your rear end oil in bus might be time for check. Could save you big $$  Most of us would ever put enough miles on oil to change more than once. I even found one that had water in it--only about a half cup but would mix with oil when running then settle out when parked.  So  ck level often  but at least once check oil condition for metal etc.   Just a possible problem preventer.I know new syn products are to run 500,000 plus miles.  Do you really know what is in there?
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline chev49

Re: Rear axle oil age/condition
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:25 AM »
Well... since I was checking my brakes, etc under mine yesterday... I shoulda done that...
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
By your handle nothing more depressing than comming away with a sliver of steel out of a rear end. Better a sliver than a bunch of ground up bearings or chunks that come later. Noticed you fool with heavy equipment also. Been there -got the busted knuckles and head to prove it.    Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline chev49

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »
Ring gear/Pinion not to hard to change at all... unless the housing is warped too much and it exceeds the machining limits...
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline garhawk

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
Hey chevy49

Just finished changing mine with help of two grown men - was NOTHING easy about it!
gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
Please don't tell us Gary you put Eric in the same class as a grown man just kidding Eric
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
Another of those things that a busnut should just change, and then be done with it.

You can be pretty sure the last commercial owner couldn't spell differential or hypoid, let alone change the fluid.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
My diff housing and drop box look awful - 30 plus years of accumulated grease and grime.  I had the fluid changed when I had a brake job done when I bought the bus, and by the look of it I needed to add a bunch...  Got all set, pulled the plug, it took about 4 ounces...  I guess I don't have a problem after all, just another cleaning job!

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
Bob you are exactly right! My uncle could have saved himself lots of $ once had he listened to me.
I was doing a service on one of his buses and when I tried to check the differential level I couldn't touch any by sticking my finger in the hole.
I stuck a wire down in it and found it was abpout 1/2 empty.
I decided it was a good time to change it since it was a new to us bus, and we had never done so since owning it for a couple months.

When I pulled the plug nasty oil and chunks of gears came out.

I went next door to my uncles office and told him that # 170 needed to be pulled out of service and the rear end needed to come out to find how bad it was, & repair it.
He told me "it can't be pulled out of service now, yer driving it Sat!" (this was Thurs afternoon)
I told him look this is serious it could leave someone stranded if it goes out, or worse could cause an accident if it locks up.
He said "It hasn't been making any noises or acting up and it has to GO, pull it out on Monday after it runs on Sat.!"

Well on Sat I took a group of senior citizens on a trip about 100 miles away shopping and as I dropped the group off, it would not pull away from the curb.
I tried backing up and it did back up, but jumped, jerked and made horrible banging & clanging noises.
I called my uncle and told him about it. After he quit ranting & raving I asked him what he wanted to do.
He told me "call your wrecker & tow it home, I'll send yer mom & dad up to get the group in #160 to take them home!"

Hmm, funny if he'd listened to me on Thursday he'd saved a tow bill, fuel & extra driver pay.

In the end it had a bad pinion bearing that was shot. (was shot before we bought it, just had been Dr'd to make it through the sale process)
The rollers from the bearing had fallen out and gotten in the gears and locked it up so I couldn't go forward, and when I backed up the roller fell out.
The gears had CHUNKS out of them and the oil had been replaced with something thicker than pure molasses on a cold winter morning after being stored out side all night.
;D  BK  ;D

Quote from: garhawk
Hey chevy49

Just finished changing mine with help of two grown men - was NOTHING easy about it!

LOL! Been there done that! (more than once)

Quote from: luvrbus
Please don't tell us Gary you put Eric in the same class as a grown man just kidding Eric

LOL!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal