Author Topic: Thermal Electric Generators  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Taibob

Thermal Electric Generators
« on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »

I am putting a Oasis Hydronic Heating System into the centre bay of my MCI 9. This unit comes with an exhaust muffler. I want to capture the waste heat from the muffler so plan to install it along the floor of the bay.

Then I had the bright idea of installing a Thermal Electric Generator on it to
produce some "free" electricity.

I need you thoughts, opinions, etc about installing the muffler inside the bay as opposed to installing it outside under the bay. Inside --too much heat in the bay..outside-- fire hazard from grass etc.  Inside would be protected by offset grille etc.  SW4024 Inverter will also share this bay.

Does anyone have good knowledge about the TEG systems.

Bob
84 mci 9  8v71n N70 Jakes 740 auto 2 Slides    BC/AB Canada

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: Thermal Electric Generators
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »
I'm curious to know what kind of 'thermal electric generator' you have in mind. It's an area of interest of my own, and there are many approaches - I'm not sure any of them are really viable for this application though.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline gus

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
An exhaust system needs plenty of air circulation to keep cool, these things throw off a lot of heat you surely don't want in your bay in hot weather. If you live in the Arctic it is OK!!

You don't want any leak of carbon monoxide in your bay either since it will surely seep up into the house.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »
TEG's work but are expensive and don't really put that much power out for their cost/hassle.  They also require lots of cold air- the *difference* between the hot side and cold side is what makes them tick... not just getting them hot...  You could probably gin something up using peltier modules similar to TEC's used to cool computer chips. There may be some temperature limitations that exhaust pipes would exceed.
There was a company in town that did a ton of RnD on it for many years, and eventually went bankrupt.
There's a pretty good writeup about these beasts on the Wiki... search "Automotive thermoelectric generator"

If you're gonna consider going thru that much trouble why not think about a water cooled exhaust pipe/manifold and use the hot water (or steam even) from it to heat stuff inside and maybe even a hot water tank, with a lot more possibility to control it in a reasonable fashion than just running the muffler inside your living space.... but getting functional electricity out of the deal?.... I think it's just a good dream at this point...
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca