Author Topic: Block Heater for 6V92TA Question  (Read 2155 times)

Offline ArtGill

Block Heater for 6V92TA Question
« on: October 25, 2006, 03:11:36 PM »
I have installed a 1000 watt, screw in heater in my block.  Do I have to be concerned about leaving the heater on most of the time?  Will it harm the o rings or sleaves or anything else? I live in a moderate climate, but we do have freezing nights.  My coach is an Eagle NJT Model 20 with air start, so I only have one chance to start.

Thanks,  Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: Block Heater for 6V92TA Question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »
That could get pretty expensive, leaving a 1000 watt heater on 24/7.

A few months of that and you could afford to put in a Webasto which would heat the engine up in a couple of hours.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline NJT5047

Re: Block Heater for 6V92TA Question
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »
Change that puppy over to electric starter for beginners.  That is not at all difficult.  Used 24V Delco starter and solenoid...$125 bucks....two battery cables, $35 bucks.   Not too bad to do, and you'll gain a half bay by removing the air tank.  locate the switched lead on the air solenoid and use that to energize the electric starter.   Save the air start sol for some other use.  I used mine to control my tilt-tele steering column.
Leaving a block heater on is pointless.   Plug it in the night before you wish to use it.  1000 watts isn't a big block heater, but it should get up to easy start temps in 4 hours.   
Where is the heater located?  Location is about half the battle.  If you don't feel heat on both of the heads, you may not be circulating the hot water.  If you do, it'll fire right up. 
JR 
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal