Author Topic: GPS  (Read 6796 times)

Offline pipes

• Tug boat dude.
  • I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria
    • My eagle bus project
GPS
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
WHAT IS THE BEST GPS TO BUY ? for my bus.
Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »
Really want to open big can of worms huh? Garmin makes some of the best GPS systems. Trucker model will give over head clearance and weight restrictions.  Tom-Tom is some people's favorite. I like a lap top with delorme streets. I tried MS streets and trips didn't like it, If you want a large screen laptop is probably the way to go. I have a Garmin 7200(no longer made) with 7 inch screen which works well, Also have wo handheld Garmins for Geocaching that wll work in vehicle but Very small screen not easy or safe to see when driving. Had a Street pilot but it died and garmin will no longer fix them. The Nuvi in its several models is the replacement for street pilot.  Magellan and Cobra also make trucker model GPS systems and I think with a 7 inch screen. If you have  a place for laptop where you can see it with either program will work fine. Then you have computer and GPS in one  unit.  Rod

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
One you can see while driving, that won't take your eyes too far off the road, so as to cause an accident when you run into stuff while squinting at it, or worse, fooling with the settings.

As for brand, this is somewhat of a Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Toyota/Honda discussion.

They will all tell you where to go.

None of them can be trusted, your brain still needs to be engaged, no different than using maps.

I run the expensive Garmin Nuvi 465T, I needed something that tucks away, as I drive some charter coach, and a laptop screen is definitely a no-no in that application. There is no space for clutter and All that stuff has to come with you into the hotel, you don't leave things in the coach to be stolen overnight. The 465 has extensive commercial settings that a busnut may or may not find entertaining. Avoiding the low overpasses that are programmed into it is a neat feature.

As my eyes get to that point, in my own coach, or in a truck, I'll go the way many of our readers here have and use a laptop for the larger screen size, mounted strategically, just below the line of sight out the windows, not blocking the view of anything out there, but not down so low or off to the side where my eyes are drawn off the road and peripheral vision is rendered useless.

Far too many GPS units are mounted irresponsibly, blocking the view or otherwise distracting the driver from the road.

Involved in an accident? Take a quick photo of the other vehicle's interior and placement of any of these devices or wiring or whatever other crap might have been going on to distract the other driver.

Your lawyer will love you.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »
       My Garmin 1390t works OK. but one needs to check maps!  Bought a Rand Mcnally RVND 5510, pure JUNK, battery goes dead in less than 45 seconds when moved to house. POI's nearly worthless, Used in my Jeep and it warned of  a low bridge 100 yards after I was under it, so next was warning of steep down grade, well on  17 South of Flagstaff,yes as you head down the steep grade. It is all hype, biggest mistake I made.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
A couple of years ago I installed a CarPC in my car which, amongst other things, runs the Sat-Nav - which consists of a £25 USB GPS receiver and free navigation software downloaded from the internet. It works brilliantly, and also has a much bigger screen than you get with any aftermarket Garmin or whatever.

For me it's a no-brainer to use the same thing in the bus where you've got none of the installation issues associated with fitting a PC and screen into a car - you could simply have a standard laptop on a shelf next to the driver if you wanted. Or if you've got an iPad or other tablet just use that - mine for instance has navigation software which works using both an in-built GPS receiver and WiFi-location technology. You could even use a high-end, big-screen smartphone in the same way - I'm sure that in a year or two we'll look back and think it very strange that people used to go out and buy devices that 'just' did navigation.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline opus

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
I have the Garmin Nuvi 1490 I think it is.  I like it cause I can give the girl a British accent.  I just drive in circles so she will talk to me.

But really, I like it, lots of good reviews. 
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
Opus, can you program it to make her talk dirty?   How about "Hey, big boy, if you turn left here you'll make me really happy", or "You call that a right turn?".   Getting lost could be fun.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
      I found a 7" screen Magellan (I'm pretty sure the model number is 9210LM) with lifetime updates free at Costco for $215.  Easy to see, easy to program, seems to take me "directly there" all the time.  But I think Jeremy is right; we're going to see a new revolution in electronics in the next few years.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline chev49

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 02:55:21 AM »
I have trouble setting my Magellin... but i'm blind i guess, and forgot all the instructions in the manual. have laptop with large screen (17 inch i think) with external antenna and that works very well, using the software. I can actually see the street names, etc easily while on road.
Only one problem with it. When the shih tzu jumped up on the laptop table by my drivers seat while i was driving, he bumped the screen -  i had to order another from amazon cause hp wanted something like 350 or so for it, so the hp lap top screens can be fragile. my car gps ones are very sturdy.
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline brando4905

• Clean Vibes,LLC--Event Waste and Recycling Services
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »
I have been happy with Garmin's 465t, but now have the new truckers model which is the DEZL 560 lmt, it has RV settings as well as OTR truck. Has a larger 5" screen. If you get the "lmt" model it comes with lifetime map and traffic updates. The trucker models have a NTTS breakdown directory, which is great if you need to find a tire or shop on your route. One neat feature on these models is it will give you grade percentages and altitude info.
1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan

Offline MEverard

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:25:35 AM »
I have a Rand McNally Trip Maker RVND 7710. I love it. It has a 7" screen, and I use it as a speedometer too. The unit warns of construction zones, sharp turns, and narrow roads. It is set up for RV's specifically, so you can input your size vehicle. It will locate Walmarts, rest areas, truckstops, restaurants, and more. The key to these working well is you have to update them often to get the latest info.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA

Offline opus

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
Opus, can you program it to make her talk dirty?   How about "Hey, big boy, if you turn left here you'll make me really happy", or "You call that a right turn?".   Getting lost could be fun.

John

Maybe thats the voice in there labeled "Dirty Sally"!
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline fraser8

• Fraser
  • 1972 Prevost
    • Old Ambulance
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
RWC quote "I like a lap top with delorme streets"
What version do you use? I have streets and trips but time for an upgrade,
Street Atlas USA 2012 PLUS ??
Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »
Yeah Street Alas. I always get it mixed up with Microsoft which I really don't like. When I had it it followed the roads and showed where I was but told me that my house was 50 miles from where I live. I was sitting in the driveway at the time.
 Rod

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
We've tried a variety of GPS units - from Street & Trips on a laptop to Garmins, etc.  Maybe using a GPS just isn't our style of travel, as none of them seem to have the 'route by serendipity' programming option.   

We've had more problems with GPS routing us in dangerous ways.

So, we prefer to be more involved with our routing.  We use the built in mapping on our iPhone & iPad. We'll let it suggest a route, but we use our noggins and intuition to pick where we go. Love being able to switch to satellite view to confirm that a road actually exists, looks passable, etc.

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline fraser8

• Fraser
  • 1972 Prevost
    • Old Ambulance
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
I agree, I've been led astray by the GPS, I always do a map check so I know the general direction or a preferred route. My GPS loves freeways and will go miles out of the way to satisfy its appetite. I use it mainly for in town addresses and for checking my speed, it also shows the posted speed which is a help.
Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
We use sort of a triple threat method to avoid problems.  i've got Delorme and Mappoint on the computer, so i check where i want to go and how to get there.  that gets printed out for the navigator to follow.  since it shows the bigger picture, alternate routing is sometimes easier, or when the gps gets confused.
i use an Asus model gps which has "bus" routing on it.  Most of the time, it works well, hasn't really led me astray, but as Cherie said, no serendipity setting, and as fraser8 said, it loves freeways.
As my triple check, i use my Droidx and google maps to route.
If my droid doesn't agree with the asus, then my wife intercedes, sometimes vehemently, with the "correct" route.

and by the way, she didn't like the female voice from the GPS.  And it messed my story up because i told her i could hear it better, so she wanted to know then why i couldn't hear her when she mentioned something she needed done. ::) :(

i think the main benefit of my gps or any device, is the warning to get into the correct lane in time to make the next turn, or exit ramp.  Cutting over 3 lanes in a bus with a van is 70 ft of problems.

i like the idea of the trucker model, but i just can't convince myself to spend more money on a new gps when i already have so many options.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »
My personal poison is an 89 dollar tom-tom wal-mart special my kids got me for christmas 3 years ago.  Now that I speak tom-tom, it's hard to speak garmin.  I don't like having to load routes ahead of time because I get wild hairs occasionally and then you're screwed or buying a map.  I've found that if you just hit the avoid freeway option, my cheap tom tom does a pretty good job of hitting the scenic routes, but I agree with Cherie, there is definite room for improvement.  My current strategy is to wander around until I'm tired of seeing stuff and then use the gps to get me out of there and to the final destination for the day.  I do wish I had a bluetooth gps though, so it would talk to my helmet intercom when I'm on the bike.  Then I wouldn't have to watch it, I could just listen to her haraungue me, pretend to listen, and give nods or noncommittal grunts whenever she demands input.  I mean, yes dear, coming.....
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 06:49:06 AM »
We've tried a variety of GPS units - from Street & Trips on a laptop to Garmins, etc.  Maybe using a GPS just isn't our style of travel, as none of them seem to have the 'route by serendipity' programming option.  

We've had more problems with GPS routing us in dangerous ways.

"Route by serendipity"... Love it.

A few years ago we went to Maine with my folks in their RV pulling a trailer.  The plan was to stop outside of Boston and go into town to take my nephew to see a ballgame.  I set up the GPS to route to take us 81 to 84 well around NYC.  

Well unbeknownst to me, while I was taking a nap my nephew took the GPS and entered "Fenway Park, Boston as the destination".  When I woke up the NYC skyline was in view.  The GPS re-routed us to get on I-95 North and put us in the middle of NYC at 5:00 pm on a Friday afternoon. My poor wife had never been to New England before and didn't question what the GPS was saying, so she just drove.  What a nightmare!  We almost decapitated the RV on one of the parkways (which does not allow trucks), slightly jackknifed the trailer when we accidentally turned onto a one-way road and completely missed the game...  by a lot! That was by far the most harrowing driving experience I have ever had.  

So my biggest peeve over any GPS is it's inability to distinguish between distance and actual drive-time and driving difficulty.  In that case our drive time was about 2-3 longer and cost us about $50 more in tolls...  But hey, it was probably about 25 miles or so shorter.  :P
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »
All the GPS use the same satellites you can buy one that uses the other satellites (military) which are accurate but the cost of the service and the GPS wouldn't be practical for a busnut it cost me around 2 grand a year in 2000 probably 5 grand now
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 07:31:35 AM »
Ever the contrarian...

I had the crap scared out of me driving with someone who had a compulsion to fiddle with his GPS.  I've decided they are as dangerous to use while driving as texting with a phone, and as illegal (I think they qualify as a "mobile device", probably no one else does) and since I'm going to have to pull over to look at one I just pull over and look at a map.  Sometimes I use a list of key points on a clip-board courtesy of Google Maps, I'll go that far.  99% of the time my wife tells me where to go...    ;D

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 07:35:08 AM »
I would agree that they are more dangerous to use while driving... The touch screens are tricky enough when you are sitting still... Especially if your screen is small and your fingers are fat.
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
I saw a brief mention somewhere about traffic updates over FM connected to the GPS. Does anybody know what that is all about?
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »
When does a driver learn to use their new GPS... while driving?

Dumb-as-me-arse, we humans are!

Park to program, please?

Dr Steve, there is a North American standard for measuring traffic flow, involving a bunch of sensors embedded in the roadway. You will have seen the extensive grid of diamond and rectangular cut marks across all the lanes on an urban highway.

The conclusions of the interconnected system are transmitted to devices such as these equipped GPS's to estimate the delay due to traffic congestion.

There is usually a "navigate around" type feature, which satisfies the frustrated driver, but in practice, often does not save any time!

Like many of these things, there are times that the info is completely wrong,showing traffic where there is none.

But, when it works, it is another entertainment for us.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline rusty

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
My Garnim has traffic alerts on it. I am not very impressed with it. It has only been correct a couple of times. The one time I remember it worked was in Dallas yes the traffic was a mess but she wanted me to go downtown to get around it. I politely declined and stayed on the 635.

Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal