Author Topic: I want my basement back! Any pics of Mini-Splits?  (Read 7015 times)

Offline pvcces

Re: I want my basement back! Any pics of Mini-Splits?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »
That business of bringing the temperature to what you want is one of the big items, alright. Not much of a problem with plenty of capacity, but it can be slower than a seven year itch if you're in it while waiting.

On our coach, we are probably limited to 12s in the compressor compartment because of height limitations. We're hoping to get one installed before long.

Take care.

Tom Caffrey
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline belfert

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 08:25:32 AM »
I don't think the OP is going to have too much capacity.  I have two 15,000 BTU rooftops and not nearly enough capacity over 85 degrees.  I need another rooftop in the front of my bus.  I do have a lot of windows in the front.

It is interesting that my house is 2,700 square feet and I only have 36,000 BTUs of cooling for my entire house.  Of course, my house is better insulated and has lots of shade trees.  My house is also in Minnesota where it doesn't get as hot as places I take my bus.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
Hey all you cutting edge Mini-Split conversion elitists!

Do you all have any pictures of your Mini-Split installs?  I'd really like to see how you placed the Air Handler on the inside of the bus.  Ideally I think that one 18k unit with (2) 9k air-handlers (240v) and then possibly a 2nd  9 or 12k unit (120v) as a backup with a single air-handler.

I've been reading nothing but good things from those of you who use them - if you have some horror stories I'd love to hear those as well.

I am looking to re-arrange my basement and possibly get rid of the 2 coleman basement AC units.  A couple of reasons for this -   

1. They each have 2 compressors and put out 24k BTU's.  For 400sf of space it seems like an overkill, much less the power needed to run them (should that read "much more?"). 

2.  Duct work - In the existing space under the bus (already converted) I'd have to get creative as to where the duct-work should run and cut a bunch of holes in the floor to get the air to where I want it.  With the splits its 1 hole for each air-handler.

3. Intakes - There are (2) intakes in the floor (one for each unit) right where we'd like to put the bunks for the kids.  The intakes are pretty hefty (12" x 16") and take up space where we could put storage under the bunks. 

4. Size - Each of these units takes up about 2/3's of a bay with the intake and output duct work.  One bay has the AC unit raised up which creates a little bit of space underneath and the other unit is on the floor of another bay with plumbing over the top. 

I'd also like to opt for a smaller 8-10k generator at some point in the future. 

I think the challenge in the mini-splits is the placement of the air-handlers and getting good coverage without freezing out one person while the driver sweats to death.

As always - Your feedback is amazing...thanks!

-Sean

PS - My psychic ability predicts (2) Coleman Basement AC units and a 14k watt martin generator for sale about 3 to 6 months in the future...

Sean,

I am going with mini-splits; 240 volt using a step-up transformer with 9, 12 and 18,000 BTU units back to front.  This is a photo of the 9,000 BTU unit in the bedroom. The shelf will act a splitter to keep the hot air separate from the cold air.

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
We still do not have our two 12,000-BTU mini-splits hooked up or installed, but here are some pictures of what we are doing to get there. We disassembled the two rear baggage doors, cut openings slightly larger than the intakes of the "outside" units. These were protected with steel mesh. We cut a second opening on the floor for the exhaust side, and also protected these with steel mesh. Then we fabricated cowlings to make the exhaust go where we wanted.

In theory, when driving down the road, the bus has higher pressure air on the sides than on the bottom, so the intake is from the sides and exhaust is out the bottom. Somebody kindly correct me, if for the first time in my entire life I am mistaken.

;D

By the way, some of the thin sheet metal that we removed from the original ceiling was used to make the cowlings. They are fully finished in this picture, but you get the idea.
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
Dr Steve,
I will be installing my compressor unit in about the same place. My unit exhausts the air through the grill so I guess its air flow is opposite your compressor unit. I'm not sure about the pressure differential between the side and the underside of the bus. I am going the discharge through the side of the bus and pickup make up air from the front of the bus into the basement. I think that will provide clearer, cooler air than from under the bus. Thanks for sharing. 

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
On Tom's advice - I have decided to go with one mini-split for the front and keep the second 24k Coleman Basement air for the back half of the bus for now.  This way we can keep everything at 110v.  I will get some space back in one bay that will greatly help with re-doing the tanks and plumbing for the bathroom.

Dr. Steve - We already have the venting cut out in the same place you do for the existing air conditioners and that is where the Mini-Split outside unit will reside.  I'll have to see if it can sit in the same bay as the Coleman AC.  That would be ideal. You are correct in that the intake is from the sides and exhaust out the bottom.

Uglydog - God eyes on the dual 18k's.  I am with you - We are going to go with the initial 12k in the front and if it works well get 2 more 9k's for the rear keeping everything at 110v.

Bob - If you have pictures of how/where you mounted the outside unit in the Spare tire area that would be helpful.  I do see that I have some space up there but pictures always help my feeble mind.

Sean - As always - your wisdom is valued. 

-Sean
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal