Author Topic: What is this engine worth?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline 5B Steve

What is this engine worth?
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »

Hello, I have the chance to purchase a "Silver 8V-92 " with a auto 740, It's in a 1978 MCI-8 with 87,000 Miles.

The transmission has lost 2 gears. He drove it to where it is now, and parked it. Thanks for any impute!

Steve 5B......

Offline 5B Steve

Re: What is this engine worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »

Still curious as to what this is worth.

Steve 5B.....

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
It's impossible to even start on a price with what info you have so far.  In that bus, it's a repower so where did it come from?  What happened 87K miles ago to say it has 87K miles on it?  What happened to it before it was in the bus.  Silver denotes a later spec of engine, or that it got painted silver at one point.  Is it DDEC, and what version?  Does it run now?  I guess it's worth somewhere between the $200 I am going to have to pay someone to truck away my old engine and maybe $15K for a fresh engine from a rebuild.

Bottom line, it's worth somewhere in the middle between what you would pay and what the guy wants for it.  He surely wants too much and you surely want to pay too little.   ;D
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »
3 to 4 grand if in good shape for a 87,000 mile engine would be my top dollar check the serial number  it tells you if a sliver or not
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline chev49

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
Engine color... i painted my Detroit gold in my last bus... ;D And this isnt a joke...
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

artvonne

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »
  I guess it's worth somewhere between the $200 I am going to have to pay someone to truck away my old engine and maybe $15K for a fresh engine from a rebuild.

Bottom line, it's worth somewhere in the middle between what you would pay and what the guy wants for it.  He surely wants too much and you surely want to pay too little.   ;D

Scrap iron is $250 ton here, likely similar up there? 8V71 weighs approx 2400 pounds? Put that sucker on a trailer and haul it in, thats like a $500 chunk of change in your pocket if you dont pay $200 to have it hauled off.

Offline 5B Steve

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »

Hey guys, yes it is a true SILVER 92  Nothing wrong with the engine, the transmission went out

a couple of years  ago, limped it back to where it is now and parked it. From what I hear they are

parting it out because the age of the coach,  1978.  It has the Allision 740 original , so I guess it was it's time

to go. Thanks for the reply!

Steve 5B.....

Offline bottomacher

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »
Not trying to be a smart @$#, but the engine is worth exactly whatever a competent buyer is willing to pay for it. Value is relative- an engine in Seattle is worth very little to a Miami buyer, but a great deal more to someone in Spokane. If it's been sitting for two years, the seller will probably be right glad to see it leave his properrty. There isn't much of a market for it right now- most folks i know are trying to SELL their engine, and they'll throw the bus in for free. Who is going to remove the engine? Can you hear it run? Who "rebuilt" it? Why not start low ($1000?) and see if the seller wants to deal?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal