Author Topic: Any reasons not to choose Roadmaster tires?  (Read 33648 times)

Offline belfert

Any reasons not to choose Roadmaster tires?
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »
Is there any good reason not to go with Roadmaster tires?  It appears they might even be made in the USA still.  They are one of the least expensive tires I can find that isn't a no-name Chinese brand.  The steer tires I am looking at are the RM185.

This is a regional steer tire.  I thought Sean at one time recommended long haul steers and regional drives, but I couldn't find the message with a search.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Any reasons not to choose Roadmaster tires?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
There was a conversation recently about tire cupping and solid shoulder tires came into that, but I can't remember if solid was a good thing or a bad thing for cupping.  I couldn't find a speed restriction on them.  They look like a nice tire.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:26:46 AM »
I would Google some thing along the lines of   "Roadmaster tire complaints". Kept me from buying one brand of tires, I do not remember which.

Bear in mind when doing this, that people who are happy with a product don't spend time on internet forums.  JIm
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »
This is a regional steer tire.  I thought Sean at one time recommended long haul steers and regional drives, but I couldn't find the message with a search.
Brian, I can't say anything specifically about Roadmaster brand, but I can confirm that I recommend regional tires all the way around for the kind of use our coaches see.  You and I talked about this once before:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=20174.msg220513#msg220513

"Long haul" or "Linehaul" tires are meant for service that includes 95% or greater non-stop Interstate driving, with the only "local" driving being at the beginning and end of each long-haul run, between the terminal and the freeway.  On the other end of the scale, "Local delivery" and the similar transit coach tires are optimized for around-town driving that is mostly stop-and-go, backing in to docks, plenty of turns (some of which will involve hitting curbs), etc.

"Regional" tires are meant for a mix of freeway driving and local roads, which is what most RVs will also see.  Very few people get in their coach, drive directly to the Interstate, then go 2000 miles before getting off the freeway to drive ten miles to the campground.  To put the term "regional" in perspective, these are interstate carriers (in all but the largest states) whose service territory includes a handful of neighboring states, or they are LTL carriers who make several stops with the same truck.  A typical regional route may be a few hundred miles, whereas a typical longhaul run can be a thousand or more.

Long haul tires will generally deliver slightly better fuel mileage, but at the expense of sidewall and tread characteristics with greater durability for non-freeway driving.

It appears they might even be made in the USA still.
You can not tell in what country a tire is made from the brand name.  All the "Japanese" (Bridgestone/Firestone, Yokohama, Continental, etc.) and even those "French" brands (Michelin/ BF Goodrich) have truck tire plants in the US, and the lone major US-based brand (Goodyear) has plants overseas.  The only way to know is to actually look at the code on the tire itself.  I described how to do this in this post:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=11274.msg118361#msg118361

-Sean

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline c-coop

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
I run roadmaster tires on my bus and truck no problems. roadmaster is part of cooper tires which has a good reputation. They do offer line haul rated tires

Offline Ace

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
I purchased six brand new road master tires last year and right out on the first trip to Palmetto Cove I noticed they were smoother than the goodyears that I removed and they replaced only due to age not wear! I was really surprised at the ride difference and yes they are made by cooper which is well known!
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
I think I will probably go with the Roadmasters depending on the price.  The tire place never called me back today with the prices on the RM185s and new steel wheels.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
Hi Brian,

I have Roadmasters on my drives and tags. [Firestone FS400's on my steers] 2 1/2 years now with no troubles.

They have lots of tread and run pretty quiet too..

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
RoadMaster tires are made in China by Cooper

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
I ended up going with the Roadmaster RM185 tires.  Everyone is telling me both the Firestone and Roadmaster tires are made in China.  If the Firestone tires were still made in the USA I might have paid the extra $80 each.  At least Cooper is still an American company so far as I know.  I looked at Kumho and Toyo, but they cost more than Firestone every place I talked to.

Price out the door is right at $900 for two tires.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
Well that's better than $1561.62 out the door for 2 Firestones mounted, balanced and out the door last Thursday for us.
But we are running 315/80R22.5's where your running the 11R22.5's IIRC.
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »
11R24.5 actually.  For some reason I have 24.5" tires although the name plate lists 22.5" tires I believe.  The tires you have are really expensive in part due to extra FET.

Offline gus

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »
Just because they're made in China doesn't mean they aren't any better than if made in the US.

As you may remember, the big stink with SUV tires blowing out a few years ago also included tires made right here in the good ole USA by Cooper.

The tricky thing about tires is that one model of a brand may be excellent and another model of the same brand junk. The cold facts of life are that you just never know for sure what you are buying!! Sad but true.

I'll try almost any tire once no matter where it is made. If it is good I'll keep buying. If not, no more. I find that the country of manufacture has little or nothing to do with quality.

Too many people are paranoid about China. Get used to it guys, they are our largest trading partner.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline wildbob24

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
about China. Get used to it guys, they are our largest trading partner.

Gus,

I think you'll find that distinction actually belongs to our neighbors to the north.

Bob
P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
PD4106-2546, 8V71, 4sp
Greenville, GA

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
What is the recommended size for the steer tires on an 83 MCI-9?

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal