Author Topic: MCI Battery Compartment (rubber) Hinge  (Read 12014 times)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: MCI Battery Compartment (rubber) Hinge
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 10:06:53 AM »
I believe a lot of it is the quality of the rubber hinge material. I know the ones I replaced lasted over ten years, but I never tried to buy the cheapest material I could find either.
Richard

Bob, I wonder if they are waterproof? Otherwise it would be possible to get a lot of water in the bays.
Richard

Richard,
The easy way to do it would be to put a piece of canvas or vinyl awning material under the door and connect it to the body, attaching it with screws.

Sure is alot easier to just replace the rubber one

Bruce, tell me, would you rather push a piece of rubber into a slot or put a SS sliding hinge into each end of the slot?
these hinges are direct replacements for the rubber, not a piano hinge that needs to be attached on each side.

Good Luck.

Dallas

That's why we have these forums, to discuss different ways of doing a particular job.

Then, too, why be a nay sayer until you have experience with a particular product.

It seems to me, I've replaced the "Buffalo hinges" every 3 or 4 years on the outside, and normally about every two years. I've never, ever had to replace the SS hinge material.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline windtrader

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »
After reading up on what's involved with changing out the rubber hinge, I decided to use a SS piano hinge. Took ten minutes and seems fine and really simple.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »
I probably shouldn't even mention this but during the short time I had a MCI9 the battery door fell off.  I had an upholstery repair friend stitch up a piece of nylon seat welt material between two pieces of heavy black vinyl and replaced the original rubber with it.  Looked and worked fine.  Jack

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 05:00:09 AM »
If you pack the ss hinge with a heavy type of non staining or dissipating grease, that should resist water entry.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal