Author Topic: NEW GPS Speedometer  (Read 9783 times)

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
NEW GPS Speedometer
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:35:25 AM »
I finally got to testing my new GPS speedometer for the bus.  It works GREAT! ;D

It is a 4" round unit from Speedhut, and uses the GPS satellites to calculate speed.  When I figured the cost of replacing my 24 VDC speedometer and sending unit(plus labor to install), it made the GPS one almost an even cost.

I tested it out in my car by just attaching a accessory plug and plugging it in the lighter.  Mine has blue backlighting for night and a white face with black numbers for daytime.  It also has an odometer, trip odometer, 0-60 trap timer, and 1/4mi timer.  It also has a feature that you can keep it powered on all the time to eliminate the satellite acquisition time.

The only challenge I still face is how to turn the backlighting on, since my bus (GM4905) is 24VDC and the speedometer is 12 VDC (which I am feeding with a converter).  My current thought is to replace the light switch and add  2 poles to switch the 12 VDC and 24VDC on the same switch.  This may require more thinking.  For now I am just wiring it so that the backlight is on all the time, which shouldn't hurt.

Steve Toomey
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline lostagain

Re: NEW GPS Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »
Sounds like a great thing. Will be more accurate than most speedos. The only drawback I can see is loosing the satelites signal while in a tunnel or such. Not a big deal, except for an overzealous cop...

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
 (snip) The only challenge I still face is how to turn the backlighting on, since my bus (GM4905) is 24VDC and the speedometer is 12 VDC (which I am feeding with a converter).  (snip)  

How about a 24V relay off the headlight switch?   Run the 12V through the switched side.  Simple, "no forget", no battery drain ....

One question -- $$$$?????

BH NC USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
I bookmarked this when you first mentioned it and am absolutely copying you on this one.  Engine driven speedo's are impossible to get accurate enough to matter.  I usually drive off the speed on my gps anyhow, might as well make the speed easier to read.  Glad to hear it works well, I'm ordering one this week as a result.
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:21:39 AM »
http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-933.htm

That's the 80 MPH - there's also a 60 MPH if you're limited to 55 MPH or so.  Cost, about $250 including shipping (guess, they're in Utah, so YMMV ...)

Offline pabusnut

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
OOPS! I forgot the disclaimer--- I have no financial or otherwise interest in this company.(Although I kind of wish I did.)  I know that sharing good sources helps us all.  I did a lot of research before settling on this one.

I fogot to mention, that on their website, you can actually design what your gauge will look like in real time, so there is no surprise when you open the box.

I will post some pictures when I get it installed in the bus(hopefully tonight).
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »
Cool!

I think I'll stick with my laptop/GPS and the app available on my 'Droid.

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline gus

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
Do you mean this is a GPS speedometer only or a regular GPS?

Any GPS has a built in speedometer and odometer so this puzzles me?
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
Do you mean this is a GPS speedometer only or a regular GPS?

Any GPS has a built in speedometer and odometer so this puzzles me?

Gus, I haven't seen one of these in the flesh, but what this appears to me to be is a unit that shows speed and mileage on a speedo face, not on a video-like screen.  (And on my Magellan, I haven't found a way to keep the speed listing up; I touch an icon on the touch-screen and the speed listing shows up for about 3 seconds and then goes away.   If I read the website right, this acts like a speedo all the time.)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
I want to know what kind of a time he will get in the 1/4 mile in the bus. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline gus

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
Magellans are different, I once had an aircraft Magellan and it was nothing like the other brands.

My Garmins show speed and odometer on one page and the newer one shows speed on two pages.

The old one also shows speed on the Nav page if there is no set route being used but my newer one shows it all the time on the Nav page? Very confusing!

Anyway, they are amazingly accurate, I don't even use the bus speedometer because it is so hard to see and not very accurate either.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline belfert

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
This is a replacement for the speedometer in the dash of your bus.  It uses GPS signals for the speed instead of a normal sender.

It is NOT like a normal GPS that can show direction, latitude, and maps.  It only shows speed and distance.  (This one can also show N/S/E/W too.)
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline pabusnut

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
I was tempted to put it in a co-worker's corvette and do the 1/4 mi, but then I thought I might have trouble with the MAGNETIC mount on the roof of a fiberglass car!  ???

It would be funny if somebody got nosey and looked thru the history! ;D
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline Gulfcoast

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »
How amazing... now that's wireless if I've ever seen it.

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
Appears to be a quality unit. I really like the reverse white on black with blk bezel.

I am unfortunately tooo frugal to spring for this. I do like my Garmin GPS in the screen with speed limit & actually speed. Keeps me legal, if only in my mind.

Gus, I had/have a 1995 Magellan aircraft unit and still use it today. It gets me where I need to go, and in turbulence, I can still read the large font, and maneuver the buttons. Kinda the unit for older eyes...

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal