Author Topic: Got my oil leak fixed finally!  (Read 2342 times)

belfert

Got my oil leak fixed finally!
« on: October 30, 2006, 06:57:04 PM »
One of the things I had fixed at BK's rally was my Series 60 oil leak.  The leak turned out to be in the oil feed line to the turbo, instead of the oil filter adapter as others thought.  The clamp holding it to the engine had worn out and broke in half.  The jagged end of the broken clamp had worn through the oil feed line.  I had looked at the oil feed lines close to the turbo, but I had not traced them all the way back like Bryce did.

I would have fixed this myself, but it is just too cold and dark at home to do it right now.  I went two days early to Bryce's shop so I could pay him to fix the oil leak and to replace me steering control arm bearing.

Brian Elfert

Offline eagle10

Re: Got my oil leak fixed finally!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 06:45:59 AM »
I had the same problem with a leak in the oil feed turbo line. It took a while to find it. I was going to replace it but decided to take it to the Detroit dealer in my area. BIG MISTAKE!!! The "new guy" they put on it at $90 an hour had no clue about replacing it. Three days, 25 hours of labor, new aluminum top of the 6V92T replaced, and the  most experienced man in the shop finally doing it correctly I finally got my $12 part on and it did not leak. They said they had over $2500 in the job and wanted me to pay $700 as my share. I said "no thanks" and paid them the $90 for the 1 hour original quote they gave me before the aluminum head was stipped of it's threads.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:20:20 PM »
Hey Brian,

Just curious howed the oil consumption do on the way home? Also was the bus cleaner? BK  ;D

PS. Sometimes it pays to take a little time to really look something over before jut diving into what appears to be the problem! Such as this case where we were fix'n to go after the wrong thing because that's what we were told by another source, but upon closer inspection we were able to determine the fix to be a lot simpler than originally thought!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

belfert

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 04:00:55 PM »
I may still be losing a little oil somewhere.  I was down about a quart after I got back from the rally, but I may not have filled it 100% after the leak was fixed.  There may be a few fresh oil spots on the back of the bus, but I'm not sure.  They might just be old spots from before.

I was out pressure washing my house Sunday (in the 40F temps) and I washed the back of the bus good too.  I have a few trips planned in the next few weeks and I'll see if I lose any oil on the dipstick or the back of the bus.

Brian Elfert

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal