Author Topic: Floor plan. Suggestions anyone??  (Read 10480 times)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Floor plan. Suggestions anyone??
« on: November 01, 2006, 07:50:55 AM »
Here is my third big question:

The floor plan in my bus seems to be pretty typical- living room, kitchen, walk thru bathroom, and then bedroom.
  For my needs, I am going to make the living room bigger- hold 10 comfortably;  make the kitchen smaller- bag the stove for a 2 burner cook top and upper micro/convection oven, single bowl sink and bigger fridge; make the bathroom a real room by making the hallway down the passenger side of the bus and enter it from the hallway; and offset the bed back to the drivers side corner so I have more dressing room.
  It seems to me, and on paper that that is a good way to go for me, but I would REALLY like a "devils advocate" as well as other options for what is the best way to go. I want to figure this out soon so I can plan on my hydronic heat.
  I hope all these questions make sense and I will be checking this thread often but I am also on a deadline for work on a winery. But I will keep this going. Please add what you feel is good and bad ideas!! Like I said, I am a newbie and there is allot to the idea of "been there done that" that you guys have, that I would like to learn from. 
  By the way, it's a bad pic (taken with my phone) but here is just a small sampling of the "steel vineyard" over the tasting bar at the winery. Thought maybe you might like to see it. I still have to do the grapes. 

Thanx again!
      Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: Floor plan. Suggestions anyone??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 08:56:38 AM »
Chaz -

A side-aisle floorplan is not uncommon, and does provide for more options in the bathroom area.

A caveat, however, regarding the bedroom:  Be careful about putting the bed too far to one side - it becomes a real PITA to make the bed, change the sheets, etc.

You've heard of the "Eight Four Two" plan?

Seats Eight

Feeds Four

Sleeps Two

You're doing your homework - good for you!

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:04:16 AM »
I personally prefer the center aisle floor plan. Provides much more bathroom space I think. A sliding door to the living area and a sliding door to the bedroom gives you all the privacy you need, and if nobody is in the bedroom you leave that door open for more space.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:49:37 AM »
Thanx Russ. I'm really trying to do it correct.
 I haven't heard of that "plan", but makes sense. The bed being in the corner would make it more of a PITA, but the ol' GMC doesn't have allot of space- height or otherwise- back there. The mattress is made from two - high dollar - hospital bed mattresses. Orthapediacly perfect. Plus it's light so i can move it around easy to make the bed. At least the idea works good on paper!!  ;D

Rich,
  I understand the idea of being able to use that space in the bathroom, but it allows me to be able to easily stand upright in the shower and makes the kitchen floor plan work out really well.
 I really wish I had access to a bunch of other floor plans I could walk in and check out. Maybe I'll run up to Raper RV in Richmond IN. I just don't have a bunch of time right now so i was hoping to be able to learn over the internet.

Thanx for the help guys!!
      Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:10:10 AM »
The other issue about a side-aisle is headroom.  I know that if I walk close to the outside walls in the rear of my MC-8, there's not much headroom at all.  I'm not tall - 5'10", and my head clears the ceiling.  I'd hate to have others have to duck walking down the hall.  My bathroom will be the typical center hall with the shower on the passenger side with a closet and the sink and toilet on the driver's side.  I've seen one set-up that uses the bathroom doors to hide the shower and toilet when they're not closed for privacy.  The bath then becomes almost an extension of the bedroom.  My bed is a queen and will be centered.  There's not a lot of room around it, but it seems to work best oriented that way.  Try to get to one of the bus get-togethers and look at what others have done.  I started on my bus and for a year had never seen a bus conversion up close.  Seeing and going inside some was a real eye-opener and inspiration to get busy on it!  Good luck.

David

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:42:19 AM »
Hey David,
  Your TOTALLY right about seeing other coaches. I can't wait to see a bunch!!!! But as far as the shower vs. hallway thing, I kind of equated it with the idea of natural privacy for the bedroom and the bathroom, kitchen layout -and- the amout of time I or someone else will be walking back to MY bedroom as opposed to how much time I or others will be in the shower. (I really like the idea of a little head clearance in the shower)  I also like long showers, but I know I will have to go back to the days of my "Navy showers".  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Chaz

belfert

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:08:15 PM »
My reason for a side aisle is because my shower was too tall for the sides of the bus.  The original floor plan called for a center aisle, but that changed.  I decided it was too much work to cut down the shower stall, so I went to side aisle.

My friend and I had already set the toilet before I changed from center to side aisle.  The bathroom ended up a little on the big side due to this.  I really like the side aisle and am glad I went this way!

Brian Elfert

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:09:55 PM »
There was an earlier discussion of this topic here:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=1353.0

I agree with the side aisle even though it may be a less efficient use of space and perhaps some height limitations.  I just don't want to see the bathroom or the bedroom from the living area.

I really like the Flounder motor home layout.  I think it's pretty incredible that they can get a 40 footer with reasonabe tankage and all full size appliances in a 22,000 GVW.

See it here
http://www.floundermotorhomes.com/

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 01:17:47 PM »
I am using a modified side aisle which I really like.  Same basic living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom as you propose and almost everyone has.  I angled my refrigerator at a bout 45 degrees, and put it smack in the middle where an aisle would go.  After you walk around it, you  are in the bathroom. I have cabinets on the side, as well as my electrical panels on swing out doors.  Everything is easy to reach.  It gives natural privacy even though I don't have any doors as yet.  I was trying to avoid the "looks like a train" view. Toilet on one side, closet on the other.  From the bedroom its a center aisle.

An important yet easy thing for you to do is get a bunch of big cardboard boxes and mock up the space in your bus and walk around in it for a while.  Its way easy to change at this point, much more difficult if you have pipes, wires and wood cut and in place.  Also until you get the hard scape in place, it can serve as temporary walls and privacy.  It will give you a sense of space, in your coach. Very hard to get that on paper or in a different shaped coach.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 06:45:04 PM »

Chaz, Len's got the idea.  if you cannot get to bus rallys for ideas, visit the local RV dealerships.   They use space most efficiently.  A 40' motor coach is about the same dimensions as a 40' bus.   You can get some ideas of "spacial reality"....at least you can as long as you stay out of the "slide-out" coaches.  ;)
You may be planning on installing slides?  Cool.
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 11:08:46 PM »
Chaz- I have exactly the opposite idea than yours.  My kitchen has a home size double sink, stove with oven with microwave over (saw a 3 burner stove with a microwave/convection oven in the position of the normal oven that Winnebago is using [made in China]) and my counter top is 9ft long.  Both my wife and I can cook together without bumping into each other-and wouldn't change it.  My bathroom is a side enclosed with the hallway going down the middle.  The lavatory part is 5ft long and 4ft wide with a 36 x 36" shower stall connected to it with its' own door also to the hallway-plenty of room.  With this, two people can be using the bathroom with full privacy (since you can enter the shower independently from the hallway or directly from the bathroom) AND anyone else can still walk from the front to the back if needed.  Since I have a transit, the bathroom is where the rear door is so I can come in directly from the outside to use the bathroom if I want (especially at the beach when you are sandy or muddy).  Not real glamorous, but I made my bus for the best functuality for myself.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline busguy01

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 05:27:03 AM »
Another thought -- you can recess the shower into the floor for more head room.  I have a small tub on my Eagle that is recessed so the top is about level with the floor. You step down into it. Never use the tub as a tub but sure does give you a lot of head room for the shower. And if the time comes you want a tub -- you got one!
Just my way - your milage may vary.
JimH
Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
Thanx JR, Tom and Jim!

JR- Trust me, I'm pretty darned good at metal fab, but I'm not going for a slider!  :)

Tom- I don't cook now much less have a big kitchen!!  ;D ;D ;D lololol

Jim- sinking the shower is an EXCELLENT idea! See how little I know!! If I keep the floor plan as is, I will definitely sink that baby!!

Thanx again guys!!
  Chaz

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 03:41:50 PM »
We have gone through about 20 floor plans, decide on one, then before we can begin work, we change our minds again.  There are so many ideas out there that we love and many that we hate.  We have a few definite ideas of what we want, but other things are open.  We hope to move our door from the front, to the middle of the bus and have our living room at the front.  One of our problems is that we both want our computers and we don't have laptops.  Two computers and two 17 inch monitors take up lots of space.  Since we are full timers we have more "things" we need for daily living that we would if we were just weekenders.  Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline JimC

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »
I have a GM 4106 and the man that did the conversion layout sunk the shower. My bus has a 6 inch raise, but even without it there would be plenty of room for me and I am 6'2. (or used to be)
He framed out a pan that looks like 10 guage metal, and then set the shower pan into just proud of the floor so you step down into the shower about 4 inches, gives more than enough room. By doing that you can also use standard surround doors and walls.
Jim Callaghan 4106
Wisconsin

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal