Author Topic: Where are good places to buy coolant, filters, and so on?  (Read 6887 times)

belfert

Where are good places to buy coolant, filters, and so on?
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:41:31 AM »
Where would be a good place to buy stuff such as diesel antifreeze, coolant/oil/fuel filters, and the like?  This is for a 1995 Series 60.  My first round of filters was bought at a Detroit dealer, but I'm sure they charged me too much.

Could I buy diesel antifreeze at a local auto parts store like Autozone or Napa?  I would like to find 5 gallon pails if possible since I need at least 10 gallons of antifreeze as the system holds 22 gallons of coolant.  Of course, 5 gallon pails may be too heavy to lift.

Should I really be disposing of 22 gallons of coolant down the sewer or does it need to go to a hazmat place?

Brian Elfert

Offline TomC

Re: Where are good places to buy coolant, filters, and so on?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:33:41 AM »
Considering the relatively low mileage most of us do and that you are paying for maintenence out of pocket, I buy all my filters at the Detroit dealer-then those are what is guaranteed the best.  As far as coolant, oil and such, any big truck store (like NAPA) should carry the correct fluids.  As long as the back has the correct approvals, you're good.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline scanzel

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31:38 AM »
Antifreeze should not be emptied down a municipal sewer or a storm drain.  It is very toxic and will kill a dog, cat or even a small child if they happen to lick it off the driveway. You might try finding a local service center that might take it from you but usually at a price. I always have a service center do my antifreeze change, then it is their problem for disposal. With waste oil some service centers have waste oil furnaces for heat and are more than happy to take your waste oil. Good Luck.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

belfert

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:55:18 AM »
Antifreeze should not be emptied down a municipal sewer or a storm drain.  It is very toxic and will kill a dog, cat or even a small child if they happen to lick it off the driveway. You might try finding a local service center that might take it from you but usually at a price. I always have a service center do my antifreeze change, then it is their problem for disposal. With waste oil some service centers have waste oil furnaces for heat and are more than happy to take your waste oil. Good Luck.

I've always been told that antifreeze can be put into municipal sewer systems, but not septic tanks.  Now, I'm not sure I woud want to dump 22 gallons into the sewer.

I;m probably going to have my antifreeze changed professionally, but if I have to take my radiator out for testing, I don't really want to pay a shop to drain the coolant especially since the bus could no longer be driven with no radiator and collant.

Brian Elfert

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 09:58:08 AM »
It is against the law here to empty oil, antifreeze or any other toxic substance into the sewer system or creek. The fines are substantial. I have heard $10,000 if you are caught. I suspect this is federal law and would be applicable everywhere.

Advance Auto does accept waste oil in limited quantities. I do not know about antifreeze. You should check with your local auto parts dealers and see what, if anything, they accept.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Sammy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 11:06:09 AM »
Check out your local truck parts supply house. They should have everything you are looking for.
Ask them if they'll take the waste oil or waste antifreeze, if not they might be able to suggest a place that would - maybe one of their wholesale customers.Do Not dispose of any waste oils or waste antifereeze into the ground, sewer,etc.
Sammy  8)

Offline ChuckMC9

Re: Disposal
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »
Your municipal or county offices should have a place to take it if you can't find a way to do it as mentioned above. It is a definite no-no to dump it in a creek or sewer. I am planning to put the antifreeze in old 5-gal paint buckets, then repour it into the original containers the new stuff came from to take it to the treatment plant. Kind of a PITA, but that's the only way I could figure out how to do it.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »
It wasn't too long ago that I heard on the radio a "official" talking about hazardous wast disposal and he said that auto antifreeze could be poured down the drain if you are on municipal sewer facilities and it would be removed at the treatment plant.

I dunno. Can't find anything on the internet to confirm it. I know it shouldn't go down the gutter. I also know auto parts and garages won't take it, and the city charges an outrageous fee for it when they have their annual waste pickup day.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline tekebird

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 05:59:01 PM »
It is highly illegal anywhere to dump any hazmat material....and antifreeze is a hazmat material.

if you dump it I hope you get caught.....and get the full fine....and depending on the judge financial resposibility for the cleanup...which would put most normal people in the poor house.

Spend a few dollars and take your bus to a shop to have the coolant changed....and let them deal with it properly.

If I were you I would go over to the comapny you said that was near you and had Dinas and get your parts through them.....yes you may pay a premium....but when you need them you will likely have a freind that will help out.

You never said what any of your problems were..........just keep posting new questions........Other people learn from what you find out....so share.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal