Author Topic: Is fuel flow good indicator for filter replacement?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Low Class

Is fuel flow good indicator for filter replacement?
« on: June 07, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
Call me tight, stingy or frugal.  6V92 book says should have a minimun 0.9 gal per minute on return line.  Is this the definitive test to declare the filters do not need replaced?  Some people change their filters annually with very low miles of use.

Can filters still impair performance even though they pass this test?

Also has anyone ever heard of the orifice in the return line wearing enough to effect performance?

Jim K  Jonesboro, Tn.  Wonderlodge PT36
Jim Keefauver/1985 Wanderlodge PT36/6V92TA/MT654CR/East Tn.

Offline luvrbus

Re: Is fuel flow good indicator for filter replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
That  is not a good test for fuel filters that is for pump volume and the orifice is for fuel pressure never heard of 1 wearing enough to effect the engine performance 

I changed those before when I changed fuel pumps it will surprize you what owners install when they lose one lol  a 3/16 washer is their favorite

I wouldn't remove the return line for 20 bucks lo ,install a gauge in the top of the filter when the reading gets low change the filters
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
How many miles are fuel filters generally good for?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:53:18 AM »
Lin, I changed mine every 2nd oil change about 24,000 miles they were still good, it was just one of my deals to change at that time frame never really knew how long they would last for sure.

I have changed filters for other people that the date would show being 5 years old lol so was the oil
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline saddleup

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:41:03 AM »
Hell, fuel filters are cheap when it comes to bus stuff, had my bus 2 years now and change filters twice, oil three times, air filter once, after seeing some of the trouble on heavy equipment over the years, most major engine problems start with these three.
Matt
Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:25:35 AM »
I change all of my filters once a year, like Matt i have seen equipment down many times due to filters being run too long.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
Like Ed, I change my fuel filters once a year although mileage would not dictate the need to do so.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
I used to change mine when I did the oil. Just seemed a good idea. I have cases of the filters and they are cheap.

I decided some years ago to change when they got below 45psi fuel pressure. They never have. Now that I am reminded to think of them, maybe I will change them just because I've got a lot of them.

I do think it is a must to travel with a spare set and enough diesel to prime them. One ordeal with bad fuel will convince you of that.

I never buy diesel from a small operator that looks like they don't sell a lot of it. I don't care how cheap it appears. Buy from larger operators that turn it over regularly. You will save yourself some real misery.

Just how I see it!
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal