Author Topic: Saw a couple of Detroit 671s yesterday  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Saw a couple of Detroit 671s yesterday
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:44:11 AM »
Nothing particularly unusual in that, just the first time I have personally seen any Detroit Diesel engines here. They were in a 1960s ex-Naval patrol boat thingy which is now on the River Thames, and which a friend of mine is converting into a pleasure cruiser for it's owner.

Minimal soundproofing, and the engines were bolted straight down onto the wooden beams of the boat's hull. I guess the Navy considered that using rubber engine mounts would be altogether too decadent and pretentious. I didn't hear the engines run, but apparently they do regularly and have a prodigious amount of power, far too much for the Thames

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline TedsBUSted

Re: Saw a couple of Detroit 671s yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:35 AM »
Same as with captured spies, we'll trade back one Bedford for each Detroit.  :D
Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:41 AM »
My next door neighbor was the head riverboat mechanic for his base in Nam.  Those patrol boats usually had 90's in them and didn't last long between rebuilds.  They could probably have the injectors changed and be dialed back a bit.
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »
Marine engines can indeed have prodigious power, since they have the whole ocean to keep them cool...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline gus

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
My good ole USN used these engines by the thousands, called them Gray Marine engines, in all sizes and shapes of boats.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR