Author Topic: Eagle 01 Alternator  (Read 11168 times)

Dreamscape

Eagle 01 Alternator
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:17:40 PM »
Guys,

I have a question on my 68 Eagle 01, with a DD 8V71. This huge alternator that I have, what is it?  It does not look like the drawing in my manual. It is run off the mitre box.

Is there something more efficient? Mine seems to be not working very good. Is there a voltage relay that is in line?  How do I go about checking the output and what should it be?

Any help along these lines would be great. As we will be driving her to our new home in Abilene Texas in a couple of months.

Thanks,

Paul

belfert

Re: Eagle 01 Alternator
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »
Why do you believe it is not working well?  Is the voltage high/low?  High voltage would generally be a bad regulator.

Brian Elfert

Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 06:55:42 PM »
Low. I checked it a couple of months ago and got around 12.5 volts. Shouldn't it be 13 plus? I am not sure if I checked it properly. Would it be best to test it without a load? In other workds disconnect the output wire.
I am pretty good electrically, just would like to find out the proper way on alternators.

Paul

Offline pete81eaglefanasty

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 06:56:53 PM »
    There is a voltage relay in the rear of the bus in the top left corner, you will have to open the left tail light door. it"s a 6 volt relay.check your ground from the regulator.just below the relay to the left behind the door.also check if your cable off the alternator are good and clean,also your battery ground, or battery cable.

Pete & jean
               Fantasy
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 07:01:52 PM »
The ground has been cleaned and secured to the frame. The battery wires are new, along with new batteries.
I did not realize the voltage relay was 6 volt. Mine is mounted on the electrical panel on the wall straight ahead in the engine compartment.
How do know if one is bad?

Paul

Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 07:04:53 PM »
I forgot to add, I checked the wires, they looked OK. But I think I need to remove them, clean and replace.
Is the voltage regulator easy to locate for purchase?

Paul

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »
   Your voltage should be around 13.7 check it at the regulator. the far right terminal on the reg, should read about 13.7 or so.with the motor runining in high idle with head light's on.

Pete & Jean
              Fantasy
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 07:12:36 PM »
   Yes they are easy to find, get it at  Iiternational bus parts   call Steve #1 800 468 5287
 Be sure you need one or just a adjustment. the hole in the center of regular is the adjustment screw.

Pete & Jean
                    Fantasy

Dreamscape

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 07:36:59 PM »
If the voltage is low, as in my case. Which way does the screw go CW or CCW?
I will have to wait for the weekend to check it out as it gets dark early here now.
If it is bad, what should I look for? Would the contacts be open or closed during charging, I assume closed. Then I will call International Bus is I find it is bad.

Thanks for the advice!

Paul

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »
  If you mean the contacts in the regulator there is none, it's a Pc board. to adjust, turn it CW.

Pete & Jean
                  Fantasy

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 10:10:17 AM »
I question whether there would be a 6 volt relay in a 12 volt system. Anybody know?
Richard

There is a voltage relay in the rear of the bus in the top left corner, you will have to open the left tail light door. it"s a 6 volt relay.check your ground from the regulator.just below the relay to the left behind the door.also check if your cable off the alternator are good and clean,also your battery ground, or battery cable.

Pete & jean
               Fantasy
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 10:44:22 AM »
  Richard,  Yes there is a 6 volt relay, i don't know were they get the six volts from, but there is one there. i removed mine and rewired it to a 12 volt , I found out that it was keeping the battery on all the time, which killed the battery overnight. the ignition switch gives it the power to pull the relay in. i used a bosch relay 30 amp. other people i've talked to have said it was 6 volts and to hard to find, that's why I redid mine to a 12 volt. when I got my bus the batteries were dead overnight someone removed the relay and socket and they had it jumped out. Now I can leave the batteries switch's on all the time even for months, I know I'm getting away from the original subject but I just wanted to explain myself better, if I can, I hope.

Pete & Jean
                  Fantasy.

Offline gus

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »
Do not ever run an alternator without a load, that is sudden death. A generator will run with no load with no problem.

The reason a 6V relay is used is so it always has full voltage. If you use a 12V relay and the voltage drops below 12V it may not stay energized.

Electric dash panel gages on older cars used a voltage reducer  so all the gages would always have steady voltage to give accurate readings should the input voltage fluctuate. Most reduced 12V to 5V.

The coil on 12V gasoline engines is actually a 6V.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Stan

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 05:22:32 AM »
A lot of good information that may not be helpful without an answer to your first question. There are several different types and a multitude of ways to connect an alternator.  You say that you don't think your alternator is original equipment so take a picture, get the numbers off it even measure the physical dimensions so that we can try to identify it. How many electrical terminals does it have and what are they marked?

If I knew what kind of alternator you have I might be able to help. You refer to your manual, so I assume that you have the wiring diagram for your bus.

Dreamscape

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 06:40:39 AM »
I am sure it is original equiment. The diagram in the manual just does not look like what I have. I will get all the numbers, size etc. and post them along with more detailed information.

Thanks,

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal