Author Topic: windshield  (Read 4208 times)

Offline scoobydo42

windshield
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »
 I would like to know how to put in a set of windshields on a mci. I have a mci5b, but I thinik any mci up to a mci9 will work. I have done a lot of work on the front end so need to know if the windshield frame is also in the right place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You 

I moved this topic from the Calander board. It should get a little more attention here.
Richard

Ncbob

Re: windshield
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 01:57:39 PM »
Scooby, I had both windshields replaced recently in my MC5A by our local Auto Glass shop.  I bought the new gaskets from Luke @ US Coach and the Glass man remarked how great they fit.   I think the new gaskets and bead were about $65 each and the Glass Guy charged me $160.00 to install the two new glasses.  I wouldn't have tackled the job myself.

If you're doing to do it yourself...you'll need the suction cup holders the glass shops need, a long piece of 1/8" nylon string and a helper.  You'll also need to remove the Defroster discharges from your dash (4 screws).

After installing the new gasket the windshield installs best from the inside. The helper uses a plastic glass tool to install the string while the windshield is being placed in the gasket.  By pulling the string it moves the outer lip of the gasket to the outside of the glass.  Once that's done install the lock bead.  Use NO SEALANT!

My best advice....get a good glass installer to do it for you.   More than one windshield has been lost at 70 MPH!

NCbob

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 02:48:06 PM »

My best advice....get a good glass installer to do it for you.   More than one windshield has been lost at 70 MPH!

NCbob

I'll 2nd that.  It was windy here earlier this week and I saw an S&S on the side of the road without a windshield.  I didn't see what happened to it but given the circumstances it's not hard to guess.

Offline rayshound

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 03:16:13 PM »
I understand (I think) that you are asking for info on how to install windshields on your MCI5 but the part I'm not sure about is if you are asking if the mci5 thru 9 install the same or if they are the same windshields. I can answer the second they are not the same. I have an mci-8 and bought mci9 windshields on purpose, they are 4 inches taller, I had also ordered the fiberglass mask & metal frame from Caylors as I wanted taller windshields.  Ray

Offline rayshound

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »
After reading your post again if you are looking for info on where does the windshield frame go or in what position since you have worked on the front, I needed the same info and went to Gumpys web site he has good photos on repairing the frame.  Ray

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 05:38:21 PM »
Scoobydo, The only ones the same with the 5 are the mci 8s. The left should be the same as the right, just flipped over.  Tom
Tom Yaegle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal