Author Topic: windshield again  (Read 3198 times)

Offline scoobydo42

windshield again
« on: November 04, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »
I was on early today and asked a couple of question about installing a set of windshields in a MCI5B. I don't think I explained myself very well. I've already rebuilt the front end of the bus. I have also purchased the new windshields. I want to know what procedure should I use to install them correctly. I replaced a lot of the steel around the windshield so I am worried if the windshield will fit properly. I have also bought the new gaskets. I just don't know how to do it.What is the correct way to do it.  Please help
Marty Caverly

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: windshield again
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 07:45:42 PM »
Marty -

This topic comes up every now and then on the boards, and the general consensus is: if in doubt, call in a professional auto/truck glass installation company to do the work.  An experienced installer can pop them both in faster than you can figure out how to do it.

HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:49:26 PM »
Marty, if they are like the MC9, with the rubber gaket and rubber spline, then it's a matter of installing the gasket into the frame, and the windshield into the gasket, and then installing the spline. There's a tool that makes the spline installation eassier. It's a real pain in the butt to install without it. Can be done, but very difficult. You'll want to lube the spline channel with soap to get the spline in the channel.

If it does not fit easily into the frame (and not be too loose), you might need to grind the fiberglass frame to give enough room. If it's too loose, you'll need to fix the frame or the windshield won't stay in.

Have someone to help hold it in place. Suction cups work well for moving the windshields and holding them.

Hope this helps some.
craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:18:03 PM »
Hello Marty.

Just hold the windshields up to the hole and be sure that the repairs have not moved the relationship between the edge of the glass all the way around and the metal edges.

The rubber gasket will allow for small irregularities.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »
Marty

Starting two years ago I started posting asking for information about how to install the windshields in my 8. To make a long story as long as possible. I bought a coach that was being converted but had two cracked windshields. I bought two windshields from MCI and took them along with new gaskets to my windshield place to have them installed. When they got done they called and told me that I had the wrong windshields. There was a space about 2 inches wide along the outside edge of the drivers windshield and they did not even try to install the passenger windshield. Over a couple of months I called everyone I could think of to try and figure out what was the best course of action. Finally a year later I drove 12 hours to a bus salvage yard and got a new windshield frame and all the associated parts and completely removed all the old parts and installed the new. I had three people holding the windshields in place and two people adjusting the frame so it appeared to line up with a 3/8 inch space all the way around just like I was told it should by the salvage expert at MCI ( they were very helpful and spent a LOT of time with me on the phone trying to get me all the proper information ).  Once we THOUGHT we had it right we began to rivet the frame in place. Per instructions from R&M fiberglass I installed the windshield into a very loosely attached windshield frame and after the windshield was installed I secured the frame. The theory was that the frame would be properly aligned around the windshield AND THEN attached to the coach so now the windshields could easily be removed and installed into a correctly aligned frame. They went in very well ( I thought )  and fit nicely. As I operated the coach the windshield would shuffle and eventually a corner would pop out. I figured I just did not know how to get them properly into the frame so I called a mobile windshield company that I used for my trucks and they came out and told me that they did not install windshields into fiberglass frames because of the flex but they gave me the names of a couple of other windshield companies that should be able to help me. I took the coach to one of the companies and they installed the windshield and told me that it would not stay because of one thing or another. I asked if I could use an adhesive to secure the glass. I was told that it would not keep the corners from popping out over time. I then had a body man that the glass company suggested that I use to correct the problem. He told me that he could fix it. He would have to have the bus available for a month and it would cost from 2 to 3 thousand dollars and maybe more if there was extensive body work to clean it up after the windshields were installed. I took it upon my self to build my own frames and my own brackets that I attached to the coach. I then assembled the frames to the brackets using a half an OEM windshield gasket and adhesive. I have not driven the coach very much but I have had it on the interstate and about town and the only movement I have noticed is on the lower corner of the passenger windshield which required resealing. I know this is a long post but I hope that I have covered a couple of different problems that you may encounter as you move forward with the "windshield project".

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal