Author Topic: MCI7 8v71 stranded grey smoke increasing with accelleration (injector issue?)  (Read 43506 times)

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
current situation - bus is parked in a truck stop - my regular mechanic is coming out tomorrow morning bringing injectors and tools

1. drove bus out to minneapolis from central wisconsin - everything went fine
2. parked for a week
3. left sunday morning (checked fuel, oil, coolant levels - all good)
  a. started bus
  b. noticed a bit more white smoke than normal as it aired up (figured the cool morning 50F was the issue)
4. drove away (noticed more white/grey smoke as pulled out)
5. amount of smoke was increasing and getting darker grey with accelleration
6. thought getting engine up to temp would help - kept driving - smoke continued
7. stopped to re-check oil, coolant levels (engine slowly came to a stop 5 seconds or so - usually it stops pretty quick 2 sec)
  a. oil stick came out dry (oil stick was popped out 1/2in or so)
  b. coolant level was fine
  c. went to get oil to add - rechecked before adding and level was fine (i thought this was weird but never checked the oil level just after running)
8. started back up to get somewhere safer - the smoke got bad enough that i parked at a truck stop
9. handfull of trucker guys came to check out the 8v71 (they love the sound)
  a. junior (trucker) said - you got fuel and oil mixed coming out of the left exhaust manifold union
  b. probably broke an injector tip
  c. said to get a mechanic out there - if thats the issue its an easy fix with the right tools

you can see the fuel/oil pouring out of the union (connection between the left manifold and exhaust)
 I have a video of the fuel/oil spraying out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXS799Y4-Ek
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
no way for oil to get to exhaust--unless you got big trouble!   What is your oil level in pan doing??  You always check oil in your engine off; after it has drained back to pan. Let us know. Yes does sound like it could be injector ,but doesn't explain oil loss. If your mechanic is a 2 stroke guy then you are in good hands. If not ask questions.   re-read post and see you let it drain back down. so good there. One other thing to check is to make sure all you valves are seating/no broken springs or push rods.(happen to me once)  do wish you a economical and quick fix. Glad you are not making oil(level in pan rising) as that is a sign that fuel is getting past rings or fuel line is broken draining into sump.   Those are the simple things.   Bob 
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline luvrbus

You need to tow it to a shop a injector is not going to do you much good the head will need to come off on that side no compression on the one cylinder probably a valve if you are the lucky type

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
current situation - bus is parked in a truck stop - my regular mechanic is coming out tomorrow morning bringing injectors and tools

1. drove bus out to minneapolis from central wisconsin - everything went fine

Where are you?  (where in Minneapolis?)

Do you need local assistance or are you already back in Wisconsin?
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Word! That's some serious fuel coming out of there. Do let us know what it is...

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
Im just over the Minnesota Wisconsin border.  LOL no doubt Minesquito my kids are covered in bites.

Im about 150 miles from home.  Im very fortunate to have a flexible "regular" mechanic who agreed to drive out here with his tools and parts tomorrow morning.  He has and still runs old MCI's in his fleet.  I will update as progress is made.

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
Update
mechanic should be here in 30the min.

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
Update
The injector tip was broke off.  Dumping fuel.
Had to replace the original c60 with a c65
About to test it out

Offline Oonrahnjay

Update   The injector tip was broke off.  Dumping fuel.   Had to replace the original c60 with a c65    About to test it out 

I hope that that's fixed it and it was (in BusNut terms) reasonably cheap.   Good luck.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline challenger440

• Mountainstar video Productions
Question, was the fuel dumping out at that connection because of back pressure in the muffler or what?  That is a lot of fuel. j
John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Re: MCI7 8v71 stranded grey smoke increasing with accelleration (injector issue?)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »
Welcome aboard, DLSnow.

I don't know if you happened to mention what kind of bus you have?

Aaaaannnnnnddddd.....What happened to the bus? Are you rolling? I am guessing so, otherwise you would have been back. Enjoy.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline luvrbus

Re: MCI7 8v71 stranded grey smoke increasing with accelleration (injector issue?)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »
The question is where did the tip go if he is lucky enough it passed through the exhaust without breaking a valve ,buried in the head or top of the piston he should buy a Powerball for Sat's drawing

good luck 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »
Update
it was a quick easy fix in the end.  The new injector resolved the issue.
We drove 150 miles or so and it is not smoking anymore.
I wish it was easier to post pictures i have a few.
This is my first breakdown and we are new to busses.
It was luck that the tow guy couldnt tow the bus as my tow hitch is too low.  He was calling a guy with a torch to come torch off the hitch when Junior and a couple of his friends (truckers) came to check out the 8v71.  Junior asked whay was wrong with it.  He tokd me to start it, then smelled the liquid, said its not oil just looks like it cause the fuel is mixing all that carbon in the manifokd.  And told me to get a mechanic out with an injector.

And that was that.  It was alot cheaper than the tow, hitch removal, new hitch would have been.
Im happily down the road.

Offline lostagain

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »
Dlsnow,

I am glad it was fixed and you are down the road.

Regarding posting pictures. Put them on Photobucket or similar site. Then it is easy to copy and paste them to a post here, without size restrictions.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »
Glad that fixed it, and that you are rolling.

Come on over and join us on the MCI hangout. Good group of guys over there too. http://www.mcibustalk.com/bbs/

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal