Author Topic: Gross Vehicular Weight  (Read 3138 times)

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
Gross Vehicular Weight
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
Does anyone know the following values for a 1981 MCI MC9?

GVWR
GVWRA (front)
GVWRA (rear)
GVWRA (tag)
GVCWR

I'm getting my bus weighed and I don't find any of this in the manual. A Federal ID tag or mfg tag
???  Not to be found anywhere.

TIA

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: Gross Vehicular Weight
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »
Jim -

Here you go:
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
Still the bottom line is the tires you have on the bus.  Most of us do not carry enough weight (except maybe Sean) to justify using the 12R-22.5's.  The best way is to weigh your bus by axle, then you'll know both what tire you need to use and the proper tire inflation-which makes all the difference in the world for both ride and tire life.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
Hi Tom,

Thank you and would you like to sell that data plate?  I'd love to have one for my bus...

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
oops, sorry RJ - any idea how I might acquire a data plate? BTW, where would I look for mine. I've rebuilt the entire dash area and found no evidence. I assume it was removed during conversion.

Thanks again.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
Jim -

That data plate pic is a photo of one still installed in a coach, taken several years ago.  I don't have a real one in my collection of "bus stuff."

The factory riveted the data plate in the MC-9s to the interior roof above the driver's window on the left, in front of the OEM driver's light.

If your coach has cabinetry in that area, try to peek behind and see if it's still there.

The plates are aluminum sheet that have the info painted (silk-screened?) on, except for the VIN info - that's engraved.  So you could have a sign shop make you one, using the photo as a template.  You supply the aluminum sheet for them to work with.  Be sure to change the VIN info to match your coach.

To get the proper sizing, when you click on the photo, it comes up full-size, so you can simply measure it.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 07:20:16 PM »
I had two different VIN plates at the front of my bus that I removed during the conversion process.  I still have them in the bus.

Will I get in trouble if I re-rivet them back onto the bus?  My understanding is it is illegal to tamper with VIN plates, but what officer is going to know what the rivets on the VIN plate on a Mexican made bus looked like?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
Where you get in trouble is moving it to another vehicle that will cause you problems I was told you can remount the ID plate anywhere you choose on a conversion

On a RV chassis those come in envelope for the converter to mount I saw that on Prevost and all the S/S jobs fwiw,kinda like removing the tag from pillow or mattress lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
Re: Re: Gross Vehicular Weight
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
its not uncommon for the data plate on the inside of the vehicle to vet misplaced during the con version process. there should also be one outside though in the radiator blower compartment on the bulkhead just above the blower gearbox.
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Offline Kenny

Re: Re: Gross Vehicular Weight
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 04:00:40 AM »
I have a name plate off an 83 mci 9 if you want it. Send me a pm with your address and I'll mail it to you. Kenny

Sent from my DROIDX
1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal