Author Topic: Insulated Outer Windshield Covers  (Read 3191 times)

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
Insulated Outer Windshield Covers
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »
A search of the archives reveals discussions of fabric or woven outer windshield covers, but does anyone have insulated outer covers? I'd like to have some made or make my own.

Offline gus

Re: Insulated Outer Windshield Covers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »
I don't see the point. If an outside cover is reflective (white is  best) it will keep out most of the heat from sunlight.

After sundown or on cloudy days nothing is needed.

The extra bulk will just make them harder to handle and stow, they are bad enough as it is!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »
I have the sunscreen fabric covers I guess it is time to come clean Bill340 said it would happen and it did, I cut pieces of the insulated foil backed foam and installed it between the sunscreen and the windshields  

It ended up costing Progressive 2 new windshields and me 500 bucks Bill you have no idea how hard it was to post the results but I thought I would try a save this guy from making the same mistake lol was not a good idea here in Phoenix

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline ruthi

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
Hmm, we have them. Had them made at the bus rally in Florida. I think they help a lot when parked. They also give more privacy when shades are open. We dont use them a lot, because we move so much, but I sure would if we were more stationary for longer periods.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
Ha!   :o  ;D

I was going to do the exact same thing, I guess I won't even though I'm not in Phoenix (although I'm being prepped to attend a wedding there in the next year or so, it takes a lot of lead time to have me drive 6,000 miles for a flipping wedding...  Homecoming of sorts that I really want to do - my bus came from the Navajo nation and that's close enough for a nice visit if you happen to be in Arizona anyway)

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »
Ed Bowers has the other Navajo MCI 5 Brian I helped him build a 400 hp 6v92 for it and we used 1 single radiator on the drivers side with a Prevost fan drive setup works good keeping it cool 

When you come to AZ do it from the middle of Sept till 1 day of June best 9 months of weather on the planet

Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
Our inside windshield drapes are insulated. Glad to get feed back on problems with insulating outside. Was tight fit the problem with outside being insulated?   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline gus

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »
Bob,

If you insulate inside be sure not to get it too close to the windshield so all that heat doesn't build up close to the glass.

Obviously outside screens work much better since inside ones are trying to protect against heat that has already gotten through the glass - but they are sure a lot easier to set up. 

I don't include windshield drapes in this category because they are usually far enough away from the glass.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
Thank you! just doesn't quite convey my gratitude to you, Clifford, for saving me from a costly mistake. I'll stick with the woven covers.

Offline zukmancdr

Re: Re: Insulated Outer Windshield Covers
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
I don't understand why the insulated om the out side would damage the windshield. The in side of the bus being cool, would that not keep the windshield cool?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal