Author Topic: Will PEX pipe work in the engine compartment?  (Read 11030 times)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Re: Will PEX pipe work in the engine compartment?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 04:49:06 AM »
I can relate to not being able to do certain things. But the internet has changed some of that. Youtube has some really great instructional videos (and some not so great) on many subjects.

How to Solder Copper Pipe Go and check out several on soldering,maybe you will see what you are doing wrong.  If not try your wife, kids, grandkids they seem to have a knack for welding and maybe soldering.
                                                  HTH  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline sledhead

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »
The pex I use is rated for 200* but I was told by my supplier it is tested to 350* .The solar water systems I set up can get to 300* at the collector  ,I use 2 insulation wraps     ( ac pipe insulation x 2 ) and have never had a problem.In the bus is the same pex for in floor heat but I used 3/4 auto heater hose in and out at the proheat for 12' to the manifold then to pex .I used the heater hose as I was unsure about constant vibration from road,motor . Over 6 years and counting no problems             dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline belfert

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 05:27:52 AM »
The pex I use is rated for 200* but I was told by my supplier it is tested to 350* .The solar water systems I set up can get to 300* at the collector  ,I use 2 insulation wraps     ( ac pipe insulation x 2 ) and have never had a problem.In the bus is the same pex for in floor heat but I used 3/4 auto heater hose in and out at the proheat for 12' to the manifold then to pex .I used the heater hose as I was unsure about constant vibration from road,motor . Over 6 years and counting no problems             dave

I'm only concerned about the PEX in the actual engine compartment.  It is getting soft from the heat from the engine.  It sounds like you used heater hose in that area.  I have no issues with the PEX in the rest of my system.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline goutoe

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 06:27:57 AM »
I would use coil copper tubing not rigid, if you dont like soldering use flare type, stay away from shark bite or compression, I prefer soldering Ive been a plumber for 42 years its very easy to solder. clean the fittings and the pipe with emery paper, do not touch the cleaned area once cleaned, body oil will cause the solder not to take, use self cleaning flux like laco brand apply to both the fitting and the pipe, heat till it smokes, apply solder till it drips then the joint is full, it is very easy once learned, lol

John.
John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
I connected my engine preheat system of my Aquahot to my DD in the engine compartment using 3/4" PEX. It circulates engine coolant through my aquahot heat exchanger.
Been working that way for about 7 or 8 years now. Not a single leak or problem with it.

As for the cost of the crimper for the copper rings, they make a smaller version which has two sizes of holes and clamps by tightening a couple bolts with a wrench or socket.
It's about $15 if I remember correctly.  No need to buy a special tool for removal of the rings, either. A small hand held hacksaw blade holder will cut through the ring, and I've
even used the points of side cutters to snip through the ring.

Some things just don't need to be complicated.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
There is flexible copper and it uses flared fittings. No soldering needed.
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »
Type k soft can be soldered or flared stick or roll fwiw  the 15 dollar removal tool is worth the money once you use one you will never go back to hacksaw gumpy lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline sledhead

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
A tool for 15 bucks I have used a die grinder for years, now you tell me.I have the crimpers but  Home depot ( home desperate ) rents them for $8 a day.Its time to buy a removal tool .                           dave 
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline gus

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 02:16:35 PM »
Flex copper is for easy of installation. If it is exposed to vibration it will work-harden and probably crack, all copper does.

I prefer hard copper lines with rubber hose at flex spots like curves.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline DMoedave

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
one thing the pex wont hold up to is the steam from an overheating situation. unlikely but be aware. If you support it enough it wont droop. i only use pex for water. wasent sure how antifreeze would affect it
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline belfert

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 01:26:31 AM »
PEX is used for radiant heat all the time in buildings.  Antifreeze doesn't hurt it.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal