Author Topic: More Genset Bad News  (Read 5858 times)

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
More Genset Bad News
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »
Well, the mechanic tells me the compression is below specs on the Kubota D950 diesel that runs my genset (< 290 vs. >= 325 psi)  The head is already DOA and now it appears the engine is marginal at best. So, I gues I'm in the market for a new genset!? 

I did some research and a reman. engine is $2600 and a new head is $1500 and I have to put it together, swap all the parts and hope for the best - $4100 not incl. parts and shipping - DIY.

Or

Buy new to the tune of $6000 for an 8KW.  So far I've looked at Wrico and PowerTech. Are there any other good options anyone would like to recommend?

TIA

Offline TomC

Re: More Genset Bad News
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
Highly recommend Wrico.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »
Martin builds the best generator set it may cost you a few hundred more but well worth it IMO
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »
Check powerhouse diesel and tell them James Harrell recommended them. They should be able to get something for you.  Wish you luck with whatever your choice.

James
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
Their name is powerhouse diesel generators.

Sorry.

James
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »
A guy came today to do some core drilling for me on a couple of walls, he had the quietest generator I have ever heard a 12.5 MQ was made by Denyo of Japan had a Isuzu diesel engine but was assembled in the USA fine piece o equipment

He told me he paid less than 7,000 for it in the quite box said it would run 2 days under load on 5 gals of fuel that one I question lol might be something for you to check out it made for use not like the rv stuff

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
 A guy came today to do some core drilling for me on a couple of walls, he had the quietest generator I have ever heard a 12.5 MQ was made by Denyo of Japan had a Isuzu diesel engine but was assembled in the USA fine piece o equipment

He told me he paid less than 7,000 for it in the quite box said it would run 2 days under load on 5 gals of fuel that one I question lol might be something for you to check out it made for use not like the rv stuff  

Here's some data I've found --

Denyo --  DCA-10-SPX                    Cummins Onan HDKCA - 10

10 kW                                           10kW
61 dBA (23 feet full load)                  69 dBA (10 ft.1/2 load)

3 cyl/ 24.5 HP Engine -- 1800 Rpm     3 cyl/ 27 HP
Fuel cons. 1/2 load - .58 GPH           1/2 load - .43 GPH
55L-26W-36H                                41L-24.5W-27H
1142 Lb.                                       765 Lb.

So, it looks like the Denyo is almost 400 pounds (~45%) heavier, *way* bigger at 30 Cu/Ft versus 15.7 Cu/Ft (won't fit in my bus), similar size and HP engine, and 61 dBA full load/23 feet versus 69 dBA 1.2 load at 10 feet.  Dunno how in the h*ll you'd compare those sound level numbers.

@ 1/2 load, the Denyo would burn about 28.8 gallons in 2 days; about 25% more than the Cummins.  

Is the Denyo a better generator?  I dunno, but it won't fit in my bus.  FWIW,  HTH,  BH NC USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
Lot of weight difference I know the Isuzu is about 15 lbs heavier than a Kubota the weight must be in all the electrical panels since it portable.

Only bad thing about the Onan is parts even the engine is a different Kubota made for Onan.

JMO but the Isuzu is by far the better engine of the 2 it will cost more up front but they run forever,I have a trucker friend that special orders his refer units with the Isuzu he will not own a Kubota engine for what ever reason 

good luck

Offline DMoedave

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »
Power Tech in Leesburg Fla is 10 miles from my folks home and we are in Fla every winter. I stopped by once or twice and they are nice folks. Another player in the game is in Charlotte i believe and over the phone they were helpfull as well (we were shoehorning a gen set into a Silversides). In the end we went with Wrico all the way up in the pacific NW for a couple of reasons including they support the busnuts very well, but their price was right there with the others, we couldent cheap out on a used one in the size (small!) we needed, but most important, Dick and Justin take your calls and answer your questions. I had a few about the wiring and the blower fan and had to put the fill and expansion tank inside the conversion area because of the 24" bays. They have the stuff and knowledge and send the stuff right out. Highly reccomended.
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:10 AM »
The difference in generator is manufactures Dick Wright,Powertech and others are assemblers they buy from different suppliers and assemble the unit Dick does a good job but when a supplier stop making the parts then it become a problem 

Over heating has always plagued his units and unless he has changed they never had any over speed protection or over start .

Kubota made different grades of the engine for years now they sell 1 grade for generator use fwiw 

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »
On my truck conversion, I wanted a 12kw.  The cabinet I'm using is too narrow to use a 4 cylinder.  Dick Wright at Wrico has a 4 cylinder 13kw.  He made a custom 12kw using a new model of Kubota that is 3 cylinder only putting out 2hp less then the 4 cylinder.  It is very compact.  More so then my 10kw 4 cylinder I have on my bus.  I have yet to mount it, but I like the dimensions, and the fact that it is 3 cylinder.  I also had Dick send me a radiator from a 15kw with an electric fan that is so powerful that if you're holding it and turn it on it will push you back. Dick sent a speed controller so I can turn the speed down for silent fan use in campsite, or up high while driving.  Will be installing in the next few months-will let you know how it works.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline mlh1936

• Graphics By Turbo Images
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »
Don't expect any help from Power Tec if you have a problem. I speak from personal experience.
1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal