Author Topic: San Francisco is no longer RV-friendly  (Read 4329 times)

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
San Francisco is no longer RV-friendly
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
Was reading Sean's blog tonight, and one of his followers posted a link to the SF newspaper.

Looks like I won't be spending any money in The City. . .

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/S-F-cracks-down-on-camping-in-RVs-3910865.php

I sent a nice email to the two co-authors of the ordinance, politely explaining my position that I would no longer contribute to SF's economy, and that I was also passing the word on to Good Sam, FMCA, Escapees and other RV-oriented forums for their members to reconsider whether or not they'd like to visit.

If you'd like to voice your opinion, the two Supervisors can be reached at the following links:

Supervisor Chu:  http://www.sfbos.org/index.aspx?page=2069

Supervisor Cohen:  http://www.sfbos.org/index.aspx?page=11322

Wonder what kind of response this will bring from the RV organizations. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline luvrbus

Re: San Francisco is no longer RV-friendly
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
Almost the same crap in Phoenix you can park a RV in your drive way but you cannot live in it overnight unless it is behind a fence in the back yard bunch of $#!% to me
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
Sacramento is doing it also. Even most Wal marts won't let you park here.
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
Did I miss something?

I'm a little torn on the issue though I'll throw this out there. In this new economy/world there are a whole lot of people who live in cars, rv's, used U-haul trucks etc and park on the streets at night. I feel for them and frankly came close to joining them in this economy but you simply cannot have people camping on the streets and parking lots. We had an issue here with such people camping each night at a downtown area park and there was a huge increase in garbage and even public urination. They tried to raise a question of drug use as well though that park is known for it anyway.
That S.F article mentioned outdoor couch, coffee table etc. Give me a break! This is the same as the people who abuse Walmart by setting out their crap and partying in the lot without buying s thing and then leaving a mess. I saw this first hand recently at a Walmart by me and was in disbelief that people actually do that!

We had an issue here in my neighborhood with a woman whose parents arrived like clockwork each summer and set up their rv in the street next door. Each year they stayed longer and longer until finally they were spending their entire summer parked on my street next door. They ran an extension cord to the rv, ran cable tv and leveled it with blocks and there is sat with the blinds closed all summer! We don't live in an HOA but city ordinance restricts rv's to being in the driveway and after 72 hours it must be behind the corner of the house. I agree with this! Can you see me parking a 40' bus in the street in my old quaint neighborhood?

I'm sorry if I'm missing a point but if the point is whether it's alright to park and live on the city street, a Walmart (against their wishes) or in neighborhoods then I don't see the big deal. I've seen the mess and heard the noise that comes with people parking rv's or cars and camping out. Not nearly everyone is as responsible as most of us.

I would not feel safe camping in S.F on the street anyway and it boggles my mind at the idea.

If I missed the point and there is another issue I apologize.
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Nusa

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
I see both points of view. The real problem seems to be people who are treating public parking as a permanent (measured in months, not days) living space for their minimalist RV lifestyle. That's a completely different situation than the tourist with an RV that's only staying a few days and spending money at local establishments. The trick is, how do you, in the legal sense, solve the real problem without affecting the non-problem users?

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
Complex problem.   I read an article a couple of years ago about the city of Santa. Barbara opening up public parks at night to people living in their vehicles.  There are alternatives to merely allowing or banning something.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
I agree. It's not right to ban all based on some or allow all based on what could be a fluke experience.
Perhaps purchasing specific permits which expire and have requirements? Rezoning certain areas? The city claimed our downtown sector was not zoned for such things. Certainly the factors involved in S.F would not be the same as in my city for example though and I can't see all of theirs.
The issues that have been building with Walmarts for years might in my view be settled by simply earning the reputation and therefore the right to camp based on a history of following rules etc. Maybe earning a Good Wally card like a Good Sam card? Stay invisibly, leave the place better than you left it and maybe buy something there and then have a manage stamp the card to add to your other verifications of being a "Good Wally"?
The point is somehow demonstrating that you are one of the good guys and understand the concerns of the property owners be it private parking lots to public streets.
There is always away around these things if calm minds prevail with a common goal.

Even in the example of my neighbors parents staying all summer. That could have been well mitigated by their not over using the area and stringing out cables and tables everywhere. MY neighborhood was just voted one of the top ten in the U.S for example (all the reasons for which escape me personally) and people are very sensitive to rv's parked all summer on the streets. Moderation would have gone a long way in that case.
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 05:22:56 AM »
Certainly a charged issue and I have been on both sides.  I like the
Wally card, but can see it now.    Joe Dirtbag gets the ACLU to sue Wallyworld because they are discriminating against sanitary challenged that cannot clean up after themselves.  It is not only RV's it is also truckers, my friend tells me his experiences sleeping overnight different places.

We should start a thread of Walmartian campers.  The last one I saw was a fifth wheel, awning, chairs, grill and everything all set out with no one in sight.  If anything disappeared I am sure they would sue WalMart for not providing a secure location.
                                                                                                                                                               JIm
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline scanzel

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »
Wallmart or any other store usually abids by the local ordinance, if it says no over night parking that is what Wallmart does to avoid conflict with the local town/city ordinance. When people abuse we all suffer.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
If the article is correct it says no parking on city streets overnight while occupied.  The article doesn't says that RVs can't park overnight on private lots like Walmart.

I have no issue with San Francisco banning camping on public streets.  If they banned parking of empty RVs on the streets or in yards I would have an issue with that.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
I do not go to Hawaii, or Alaska, but I do travel throughout the other 48 states in my mission of providing full access transportation for disabled veterans.

BUT, when I have been driving for hours, and after depositing my passengers at a destination, there are occasions when I need to rest before going another mile.

I have found many of the larger store facilities have been very good to me, WalMart near the top of the list.

I do hope that this privilege is not closed off, because that would leave me to find roadside rest stops, and they are less frequent than Walmarts.

And I never leave any trash, or a mess.
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Walmart has 2 type stores company owned and developer owned parking is never ban at a company owned store even if signs say no overnight parking they battle cities over that all the time because if not their drivers could not park and sleep at certain stores

Now back to the program riding bikes naked or old men wearing nothing but a beard walking around in public and these people don't like RV'ers parking LMAO
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal