Author Topic: How do you remove the oh $#!% handle?  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
How do you remove the oh $#!% handle?
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
Just inside the door of my bus (MC-8), on the hinge (right) side there is a vertical grab handle, we always called them oh $#!% handles (curious to see how the word gets changed  so as not to offend) to help people climb up into the bus.
Has anyone removed one? What's involved? I wouldn't be tearing out that front radiator would I?

For this matter, the one on top of the dash, is that one any easier to get at?
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

Re: How do you remove the oh $#!% handle?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
Dave, why do you want to take them out? I don't have the one on the dash but do have the one by the door,...comes in handy sometimes when my back goes out. With your back problems you might want to keep it.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:59:12 PM »
ED,
I have a lighted one of the same length that I wanted to substitute. We often forget that vertical one inside the door is there so I thought lighting it and tying it in with the doorstep lighting would help. This new one is exactly or nearly exactly the same length so I think it should be a fairly easy swap...IF I can get the old one out. I climbed in under the spare tire area...everywhere but I can't see the mounts.

Get this! I picked up a lighted one for outside like we were discussing and that you have...........and promptly lost it. Michelle thinks she mistook the box and threw it away!!!
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »
Dave -

IIRC (and it's foggy), the attaching hardware for those dashboard handles are accessed thru the defroster core cover panels and the small door on the dash in the steps area.  Contortionist stuff.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the lead. At this point I'll try anything short of cutting if off and then taking the stubs off by whatever means available.

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:18 AM »
RJ is right about the access panels in front of the defroster core.  I don't have a small door on the dash on my 5A as far as i know,......it is carpeted and i don't want to tear it off to see. You should be able to get to the back of them without too much problem.  Too bad about tossing the other one.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
Had droopy eyelids when I posted last night.  It's GMCs that have a door on the dash in the stepwell - it's where the fire extinguisher and first aid kit are located.

But there are still access panels to get to the defroster core and the front door hinge.  They're held in place with Dzus fasteners - all you need is a quarter to open them.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »
A little more involved for me, i have to unscrew some paneling and then unscrew and remove an Olympian catalytic heater and then use a quarter to remove the panels.

Offline baker4106

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »
I wish I had one on my 4106.   Three weeks ago my wife was getting into our 4106 and lost her balance, with nothing on the dash to grab she fell backwards out of the bus.   Lucky she only cut her arm very bad but it will be months before she is completely healed.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
I built a small group of removable shelves right there out of oak. I can take it out and remove those 2 bolts and have to take out the bar. I put it back on after I covered the dash with vinyl but made it so I could still open the little door by the hinge. Also got a SS handicap rail 32" X 1-1/4" thick long and put it on the length of the door at an angle for getting in.
Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal