Author Topic: Does anyone make totally custom plastic tanks?  (Read 12177 times)

Offline belfert

Re: Does anyone make totally custom plastic tanks?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 05:51:54 AM »
I had only looked at Ronco's RV tanks which only go up to 100 gallons max.  I just looked at their marine tanks and they do make larger sizes, but it looks like they would cost me just as much as the custom stainless tank.
You shouldn't be paying Ronco's posted prices.   Call them and ask for a price quotation  -  you may be pleasantly surprised . . .

Ronco is making a huge mistake by publishing prices online then.  People like me see the prices and think they are high and don't even consider their product.  Nowhere is there any indication that they discount prices when you call them.

I need to measure my space to see if any of the marine tanks would fit and then call them.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 05:59:24 AM »
Ronco doesn't make the tanks they just sell the tanks the tanks are made by another outfit
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 06:07:16 AM »

Ronco is making a huge mistake by publishing prices online then.  People like me see the prices and think they are high and don't even consider their product.  Nowhere is there any indication that they discount prices when you call them.

Maybe, maybe not - it depends on the circumstances. Very many companies are primarily trade suppliers and don't really want members of the public messing them about with one-off orders. So they either don't advertise their prices to the public at all, or hike them up so they at least make a decent chunk of profit to compensate for the hassle of dealing with those customers. Difficult to explain and maintain that philosophy when actually dealing with the customer face-to-face or on the 'phone though, which is why it's always worth querying the quoted price when buying something off a trade supplier as a 'walk-in'

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline belfert

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »
Most companies that don't want to deal with one off orders from the general public simply don't publish their prices online.  Ronco has chosen to publish prices online.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »
Most companies that don't want to deal with one off orders from the general public simply don't publish their prices online. 

Yes, that's exactly what I said

Ronco has chosen to publish prices online.

Yes, that's why we're talking about it.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 07:17:50 AM »
Also trioniccorp custom and good price standards.

I found a great deal ~$300 for a 180 that fit perfectly jn my mci7 bay
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

Offline belfert

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »
I did fiberglass on plywood tanks (waste only) and they held up for over twenty years, probably still in service though I don't know that.  Totally customizable and relatively inexpensive.

I forgot all about fiberglass on plywood tanks.  I could easily make one for a lot less money than a plastic or stainless tank.  How does one attach fittings to a tank of this type?

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »
As I recall, I used 3" PVC toilet flanges, then whatever bushings needed to get to the right size.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »
Ronco doesn't make the tanks they just sell the tanks the tanks are made by another outfit
Ronco does make their tanks, and (I believe) also for Ardemco just a few miles away in Costa Mesa.   There seems to be a very incestuous relationship between tank manufacturers and tank retailers  -  sometimes it's difficult to know who makes what for whom!   There's also the rotomolder in El Monte CA who probably also makes tanks for other vendors.   When I asked Ardemco, their prices were much higher than the same tank (with the same part number) directly from Ronco.   I don't think one company's tanks are necessarily any better than anyone else's:  assuming they're of comparable quality and thickness, freight charges can be the deciding factor, unless you're close enough to drive your bus there and get them yourself which is what I did.

Another factor to consider  -  will all the needed fittings be spun in at no extra charge?   For my gray and black tanks I had eleven fittings spun in, at no charge by Ronco, and at more than a year after I first bought the tanks.   One word of advice  -  if you can, choose the Heavy-Duty (thicker wall) spin-weld fittings, because when you thread the Valterra flanges and whatnots in they will stretch less than regular fittings:  http://www.bunnweb.org/spinwelding.com/page2.htm

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
I'll check out Seelye too.  I suspect from what I have read that the price for a custom plastic tank will be as much or more than a custom stainless tank.  One big cost is shipping although Seelye might have no shipping.  The stainless tank has no shipping costs and some of the large plastic tanks have to go freight.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned building a tank.  I'm not confident that a welded plastic tank would stand up to 125 gallons of waste though.

I'm planning a combined waste tank like I already have.

I didn't mention it because I knew that you were already aware of it and had probably already ruled out that option as unsuitable for youself.

As for confidence in a welded plastic tank, I guess it all depends on who does the welding.

craig (aka 150 gallons fresh in 3 tanks. 150 gallons waste in one tank. Welded polypropylene sheets. Two failures on the main fresh water tank from over pressurizing it. Human error,
not a failure of the manufacturing process.)

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »
Ronco doesn't make all their tanks I have seen Ronco trucks hauling trailer loads out of Nampa Idaho maybe they own that plant ? but it not called Ronco
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Boomer

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »
They were probably coming out of Custom Rotomolding in Caldwell, Clifford.  They also have a plant in Springfield, Oregon that's where I got my fittings spun in.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline NEO/Russ

• NEO/Russ
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »
Here in middle Tennessee we have two rotational tank companies that manufacture tanks for the boating industry, they may have something that would work.  One is INCA in Nashville http://www.incaproducts.com/ and the other is Moller Marine in Sparta, TN http://moellermarine.com/.  There are others around, including one I can't remember North of Chicago, but I have been away from that business for at least a dozen years.  Try a search for marine rotational molded tanks.

Russ

Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.

Offline TomC

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
I have been to Ronco's factory in Irvine and they showed me their roto casting machines in operation. Maybe they have an extra factory in Idaho.  If you call Ronco direct and talk to them telling them you are building your own conversion, at least with me they gave me 50% off the listed price on the web.  Then go and directly pickup the tanks and they will spin weld the fittings on the tanks for you at no charge.  I used Ronco for my tanks in my truck that bounced around for over 800,000miles with no problems.  With their great customer service, heavy duty design, I'd highly recommend you find a tank that works for you.  I used the marine tanks since they are much larger then the RV tanks.  I don't care that they are rectangular and have a bit left in the tank after emptying-just rinse a couple of times and the remaining is so diluted, it won't stink.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »
Give C & H Plastics, INC a call. They'll make it any size, any shape and I thought - reasonable cost. They are great to work with and can take your drawing and make it look pro.

401 232 1500

candhplastics.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal