Author Topic: Check out this silversides conversion  (Read 21837 times)

Offline DMoedave

Re: Check out this silversides conversion
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
that bus looks great! is that being done at the Hinkley yard in Maine? lol. the best comment was keeping the original seatto keep as much original as possible. thats one nice job but that has to be over 75k in woodwork by itself!
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
Yip, That's Boomer's! Mark sent me a few pics early on. I haven't seen it in person yet, but will before we leave Oregon!. 8)

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »
An awesome conversion indeed, with a lot of thought put into keeping it as 1940's as possible. Very high level of craftsmanship. I wish I was that creative!

I liked the way half of the dinette seating slides out. I have never seen one like that before.

There IS one "hanging" place in the tiny closet in the captain's room, if you look closely. Enough for a weekend of clothes.

But as others have said, surely not an ideal full-timing family conversion. More like a weekend only rig. And a stove maybe is being replaced by an electric cook top (is that what you call those?) that they put away in the cupboard?
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline belfert

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »
I really like the way they did the bunks with the ladder.  I might steal that idea.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
My FIL is a great woodworker, and he is doing my dinette and sectional this spring.  I think I might steal the sliding dinette idea. 
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
I cannot wait to see the 47 model Flx that Larry (Paradise Coach) is going to convert that one should be show stopper also

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Boomer

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:31:19 PM »
The dinette table has a leaf to increase the length.  The sliding forward seat is to accomodate the sofa sleeper when it is extended into a bed.  The micro lowering to below the deck is to provide some countertop space which would be minimal with a micro sitting on the countertop.  It's the largest convection available and is the primary cooking appliance; secondary is BBQ and a portable induction top.  The curved upper parcel racks are part of the theme and actually hold a lot.  Squared off cabinets in a rounded GM look bad and really cut down on walk though space IMO.  Small as it is, it will sleep 6 to 8 in various combinations of kids and adults.  Bunk lengths are 6'4".  Bunk room is built to be removed if desired and can then hold a king  or queen  bed crosswise. Sofa sleepers front and rear.  Aft room has two small wardrobe closets, that's it for hanging items. 155 fresh, 155 black/gray, Coleman 2 ton plus basement heat pump A/C ducted through parcel racks (a clean roof line); Webasto hydronic heat; twin Magnum 2800's; 5 AGM 8D's charged by the engine alt, shore, or Wrico 10KW gen.  Can run one evaporator off the inverter over the road.  Other upgrades to the chassis: Silverleaf 440, electric wiper/washers, mirror heat, windshield heat, power steering, all LED lights, rebuilt eng/trans (330 hp DDEC II 6L71T w/jake, cruise, etc.).  I have completely restored the exterior to stock cir. 1947 PGL including rebuilding all windows with new glass and rubber, creating Greyhound dogs and target sign, etc.  Original paint reproduction by Mike Wilson (urathane w/clear).  Estimated finished wet weight, 24,000 a nice power to weight ratio.  There you have it.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline fortyniner

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
Its a work of art Boomer. Very classy.

Tom P.
Tom Phillips
PD4106-453
PD4106-2864
87 Alfa Milano
93 Range Rover
87 190e-16 Mercedes
92 Jeep Comanche

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:54:30 AM »
The dinette table has a leaf to increase the length.  The sliding forward seat is to accomodate the sofa sleeper when it is extended into a bed.  The micro lowering to below the deck is to provide some countertop space which would be minimal with a micro sitting on the countertop.  It's the largest convection available and is the primary cooking appliance; secondary is BBQ and a portable induction top.  The curved upper parcel racks are part of the theme and actually hold a lot.  Squared off cabinets in a rounded GM look bad and really cut down on walk though space IMO.  Small as it is, it will sleep 6 to 8 in various combinations of kids and adults.  Bunk lengths are 6'4".  Bunk room is built to be removed if desired and can then hold a king  or queen  bed crosswise. Sofa sleepers front and rear.  Aft room has two small wardrobe closets, that's it for hanging items. 155 fresh, 155 black/gray, Coleman 2 ton plus basement heat pump A/C ducted through parcel racks (a clean roof line); Webasto hydronic heat; twin Magnum 2800's; 5 AGM 8D's charged by the engine alt, shore, or Wrico 10KW gen.  Can run one evaporator off the inverter over the road.  Other upgrades to the chassis: Silverleaf 440, electric wiper/washers, mirror heat, windshield heat, power steering, all LED lights, rebuilt eng/trans (330 hp DDEC II 6L71T w/jake, cruise, etc.).  I have completely restored the exterior to stock cir. 1947 PGL including rebuilding all windows with new glass and rubber, creating Greyhound dogs and target sign, etc.  Original paint reproduction by Mike Wilson (urathane w/clear).  Estimated finished wet weight, 24,000 a nice power to weight ratio.  There you have it.

Mark,

Driving an American Classic (30 year old coach) I can easily relate to all of this.  Where I live we have a saying that goes something like this:  "There are two ways to buy oats, you can buy them before they have gone thru the horse or you can buy them after."  

This is definitely before.

It is quality work, well thought out, eye candy for any bus guy, and the ideas are fresh, innovative and most of all, it is not the same old "cookie cutter" mentality you see in a lot of coaches.  

Keeping the basic curb appeal of the Silver Sides on the exterior, at the same time updating to LED technology is good thinking.  Outside stays basically the same, while on the inside changes to the interior radically improve the living space.

Most of the people on this board and other bus boards, have never been inside a bus like this, so they most likely miss the curved ceilings and other obstacles.  I used to ride them quite often when I was a kid, my Dad used to call the "Cat Eyes" because of the windows in the rear.  You and your people are doing a super, standup job, I don't care what anyone sez.

Kudo's.

How are you going to run the grain on the floor?  I am curious about that.

BCO

Offline sdc53

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 05:03:22 AM »
Nice craftsmanship.  We're almost neighbors if you ever want to show it in person.

Scott
'69 4107
Gladstone, OR
Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »
Larry will be flooded with with the retro conversions he may not ever work on newer bus lol but give Boomer a little credit he is there everyday working too

Offline Boomer

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »
Thanks, BCO.  The floor will have a single 1" wide light colored piece right down the center, then the 4" floor pieces will be laid diagonally to it, completely fore to aft.  I always liked Silversides but had never contemplated restoring one until I found this one.  The body and trim were in the best shape of the many I have seen and  it was unmolested in so far as not having holes cut in the sides or roof.  It was all there.  That was the good part.  However, like most of them it had a back yard hack conversion done to it, probably in the '70's from the look of it, which had to be gutted clear down to the skin.  I spray foamed the roof and panel insulated the sides.  The bus sat dormant in Apache Junction, AZ for 26 years, baking in the sun.  Every single piece of rubber in the brake system, glass, moldings, etc. had to be replaced.  The bus went down due a fan blade on the OEM variable pitch fan coming off and going through the radiator.  Before the owner got to fixing it he died of cancer, so there she sat till I came along and took pity on her.  Another thing that was attractive about this particular unit was that it was operated new by Pacific Greyhound Lines, San Francisco.  Their number K554 originally.  So most of it's life it roamed up and down the west coast and across the desert as far as Salt Lake City and El Paso.  PGL was the biggest and most profitable division of the Hound in those days and their maintenance was steller.  Even though this one no doubt crossed Donner Pass many times, there is no chain damage to the body.  Also, it had never had the rear bulkhead repair that is so common to Silversides.  The plates you see above the rear wheel wells on lots of Silversides are a dead give away to this issue, it was a GHL field repair of the day.
There will be a more professional video and photo spread taken when it's completed, and it WILL be at the Blytheville, AR gathering in April.  Thanks, guys.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »
I want a sound track when Gene fires the DDEC 6-71 Boomer lol  that will be a sweet sound

good luck

Offline Boomer

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
I forgot to mention that the most extensive facet of this whole project has been the wiring, both chassis and house.  All the OEM chassis electrical system and wiring were removed.  Pretty hard to save 65 year old fabric insulated wiring that has been baked.  I was able to hire a major converter's electrical engineer to CAD design and build all the harness's for both systems.  The design and wiring, both chassis and house are works of art.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline Boomer

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Clifford, the initial start up and run in has already been done.  The engine/trans were fitted into one of Gene's donor buses for final fitting, especially the exhaust system, which was difficult (I wanted a muffler!).  I even have an Eagle part on her to make you happy:  a M-05 expansion tank (it had to be cut in half to fit).
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal