Author Topic: ghost driver hit our house last night  (Read 9974 times)

Offline crown

ghost driver hit our house last night
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
 our tenet parker her car and left it in gear about a hour later i hear her car start up a diesl suv as i am coming
out the front door of the house the car runs up over the step and hits the house luckly it killed a few large flower pots and a lawn chair so no damage to house . how could this happen her keys where in her purse ?
crazy and scary night john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline Iceni John

Re: ghost driver hit our house last night
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »
Does her car have a remote start function on the key fob?   If it has, maybe she inadvertently pressed the Remote Start button while she was inside the house.   Why does she leave it parked in gear, and why does she not use the parking brake?

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline crown

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »
hi john no remote start its a older 89 model john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:42:54 AM »
How would it get in gear?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
How would it get in gear?

Might be a manual transmission. I always park mine in gear. I just don't trust the parking brake.

John, I have no clue what could happen. Glad there wasn't major damage.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline B_K

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
our tenet parker her car and left it in gear about a hour later i hear her car start up a diesl suv as i am coming
out the front door of the house the car runs up over the step and hits the house luckly it killed a few large flower pots and a lawn chair so no damage to house . how could this happen her keys where in her purse ?
crazy and scary night john

Could be an electrical short somewhere. (see below!)

Quote from: Iceni John
Why does she leave it parked in gear, and why does she not use the parking brake?
John

Many older cars don't have working parking brakes.

Also MANY of the cars south of the Rio Grande come from up in the North East Region of the US. I know several car hauling companies that pick up 5-6 truck loads of cars from the huge car auctions in the NE every week and bring them down to KY-TN-AR area and go through them. They keep the best of them to "whole sale" to local used dealers.
The rest of them go back on a truck and down to Brownsville, TX where they are either bought off the truck as it unloads in a dirt lot or at the auction next door the lot. Out of 50 to 70 cars a week only about 5-10 cars stay the rest go to south!
Most are major rust buckets underneath but look great up top. Some have mechanical issues!

I have 3 different friends who own car carriers that do this one in KY, one in TN, and one on the AR/OK border all 3 of them send/take 5 or 6 trucks a week to the "Border Auction" and most cars sell before they get in the auction gate.
I've been down there with them before as a driver of a carrier and couldn't believe the swarm of buyers that swarm the trucks as they pull in to unload. (the auction does have a paved lot carriers can unload in, but many chose to unload in the dirt lot and sell as many cars as they can for cash before the auction. And they have to move the trucks to park on the dirt lot after unloading on the pavement anyway.)

So it's highly likely the parking park could be "froze up" from rust or even have a broken cable.

Also some people just park them in gear.

;D  BK  ;D

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »
Good thing noboby was hurt. She parked it in gear? That's not too smart. I'm amazed how many people either never use or neglect the parking brake. I use it almost everytime I secure the car. Granted, an automatic has a lock but you are better off putting the weight of the vehicle on the parking brake BEFORE you shift into park. There's no excuse not to have the parking brake not in proper working order and NOT TO USE IT.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
Good thing noboby was hurt. She parked it in gear? That's not too smart. I'm amazed how many people either never use or neglect the parking brake. I use it almost everytime I secure the car. Granted, an automatic has a lock but you are better off putting the weight of the vehicle on the parking brake BEFORE you shift into park. There's no excuse not to have the parking brake not in proper working order and NOT TO USE IT.

And some of us have Ford pickups (I guess we would be in your "not too smart" catigory) that have perfectly functioning parking brakes, but do not trust them. Manual transmission, always leave it in gear. Best practice for sure. Automatics are an entirely different animal. 

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline crown

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
  its a manual trans left in revese did not use parking brake it has it be a short ? have never heard or saw
a car start by it self ? was a shock to walk out the front door and have a big suv hit the door [ we have double
front door ] she is having the whole car checked out so hopefully we will known what caused it . i told her she was lucky it happend at the house what if it started up at gas station or parking lot or went out to the highway
someone could of been killed
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline Van

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
Whew! Glad no one was hurt John, hope the damage is repairable. All the best to you ;)

Van :)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:51:02 PM »
I am a FORD man myself having owned 3 previous FORD cars and still own one at this time('04 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS) plus a couple company issue FORD work full size vans over the years. IF your parking brake is in proper working order, you should be able to trust it. You can always chock the wheels if you are for whatever reason not confident of your parking brake.
Like anything else, taking proper care of equipment gives you a better chance of it not failing. That's what I have found over the many years.

Offline crown

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
 van thanks no damage to house the two flower pots am guessing weigh about 200 lbs each they slowed it down right before hitting the house she did not use the parking brake after she moved the car she said i put it in first i told her if it started again being in first gear she would be pulling it from the river so she tolk it out of gear and used the parking brake  john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Must have been the day!! Cold this am.  Left car outside shop. keys in pocket.  Went inside,30minutes later came out all windows  down and sunroof open. ???????   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline crown

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 07:31:06 AM »
bob might be the cars are getting ready to take over the world   john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline rampeyboy

• 1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 07:53:35 AM »
Was it on a hill where weight of truck could have caused the engine to spin and start as the truck rolled in gear?
Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal