Author Topic: anyone use boondockerswelcome.com ?  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
anyone use boondockerswelcome.com ?
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »
Just windering.  Seems like they have alot of people allowing 1 or 2 rv's to use some hookups.  Seems like its for 1 to 3 nights.
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: anyone use boondockerswelcome.com ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »
It looks interesting.  I would be a little concerned about who might show up though.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline RnMAdventures

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
I have never heard of it. It looks like individuals allowing people to stay over for a couple of nights on thier property. I could see how it could be useful if money was tight, but I would pack some heat to keep me warm and safe at night.

I'm leary of anything free... nothing is ever really free.  ::)
Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »
Its a club and probably ok but there would be times I would think that you have to really watch out for where you are. Like it said in their FAQ, if someone falls down on my property were they responsible and the answer was of course you are but your insurance should cover that?

Dave ???
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
It seems that the club should provide legal liability waivers for the hosts to use as well has have some sort of harmless clause in their sign up.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
yep good one Lin, Its like love peace and rock and roll send us the money and let us use your driveway and your insurance if something happens.

Dave
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 06:31:50 AM »
This is just a more organized version of what many of us here already do.  I know there are a number of folks here who allow other busnuts to stay at their property.

It is a sad state of affairs for the country when the first thing anyone thinks about is legal liability.  America would never have developed the way it has if our forefathers had the same concerns about legal liability.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Brian, My first thought on this would be concern over who would show up if I opened my property to it.  It's one thing for me to tell you that you are welcome should you come this way since contact and observation through this board have given us ample screening tools.  It's quite another to allow total strangers in.  Although I would guess that most people using the service would be okay, it would also be reasonable to assume that some could be quite problematic (tweekers, fugitives, people from New Jersey).  Unfortunately, the liability issue is quite real also.

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
The BoondockersWelcome site is a cool one, and very similar to the CouchSurfing.org community that we're part of.  On Couchsurfing, folks are vetted and verified by both the service and other community members.  There are also extensive profiles to review to get a feel if you'll get along with the person you are inviting in, and your address never gets sent out until YOU decide you're inviting the person to your home. 

In our years of travels, we've been blessed to have been invited to 'driveway surf' with folks. For us, it's not about saving money, but having the opportunity to connect with amazing people and be temporary neighbors for a bit.  While we don't use BoondockersWelcome all that much, we are happy it exists.

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline pipopak

• I am the 99%
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:11:11 AM »
Just for fun I looked for some place in Florida. Found one close to Orlando. Looked in Google maps and seems to be some highway shoulder:
http://www.boondockerswelcome.com/SearchListings/26.27119,-80.2706_100/20+25+30+35+40+100/all/all/Yes/Yes
Not a good start.....
Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.

Offline Stormcloud

• FMCA#407220
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:25:04 AM »
Google maps are helpful, although I wouldn't believe that the overnite spot is the shoulder of a turnpike, based on a map pin.

We have hosted many overnighters here ( and some for a few nights ).  We welcome pretty much anyone; the dogs do the screening and security check at the lane.   ;D
Mark Morgan  
1972 MCI-7 'Papabus'
8v71N MT654 Automatic
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in summer
somewhere near Yuma, Arizona in winter(but not 2020)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:36:47 AM »
It says in the info on the site that they don't give locations only what it is close to area wise. When you sign up and give your info and then put in a e mail to the people you want to hookup with then they will or will not get back to you. if they feel it is a good fit then they will give you the location and arrangements.

Dave5Cs
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »
It certainly could be a good thing.  I would be more likely to try it out as a guest than a host until truly comfortable with it.  After all, it does seem like it is the host that takes all the risk.  However, using the system as a guest only would feel a bit unfair.  Of course, one could soothe his conscience by giving a little cash too.

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
The location is not accurate for privacy reasons...its a general location.
you PM the person through the website and they recontact with phone no or email or a blind invite.
I have spoke with a couple "hosts" but the timing hasnt worked out.

So far walmart for overnights and flying J/pilot for dump/fill has been very convienent.
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal