Author Topic: Bringing the Bus back to Phoenix  (Read 11178 times)

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Bringing the Bus back to Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
Mike,

If you take 17 south through Wilmington, let us know!  We will stand out on the side of the road and do an old fashioned "Hold Up" of the bus and make you hand over some crab cakes :)

Give me a call if you get close or need any help while you are in NC/SC.

(407) Five Nine Two - 33  four seven..

-Sean
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline LowTide

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for the offer, we appreciate it.
I don't think I would be able to give these cakes up, my word is on the line and I am guarding them to the death....LOL
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline LowTide

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
Here are a couple of pics as I promised. I will post the full trip with any updates after we return in another thread.
These are from the sunrise on Hatteras Island this morning........woke up early to get this and we shot video of the complete sunrise. It was a sight to see.

Mike and Lori
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline LowTide

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »
Thought I would post another update on the trip!

It took us a day to get off of Hatteras Island (Saturday),between both ferry's, we ended up driving from cedar island after dark, which was a test in itself. The roads have no street lights and as you may know, it is all winding roads. We did have a bit of low road fog across the wildlife refuge which set my stress level at a all new high.....finally made it to Morehead around 10:15 Saturday night and stayed the night in the wallmart parking lot.

Today was not a good day, ran into construction in Wilmington NC, they had the 17 southbound entrance to the freeway closed and of course had no detour signs so we had to seek help from a local to get around the mess to connect back up with 17 south, then we over shot our exit to myrtle beach state park campground by 45 miles because we were not paying attention.....LOL.

We pulled into Myrtle beach campground about 7:00 last and will be hitting the road early this morning to get to the interstate. I think at this point I have had enough of seeing the coast and driving through these small ocean towns as the stop and go has run it's course.

We finally filled up today in Jacksonville, she took 98 gallons. Diesel prices have been from 401 to 409 a gallon in NC ans SC, we payed 403 at exxon.

Other than that, the bus is running fine.....we are the ones running out of steam ;)

Mike and Lori
Myrtle Beach
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »
I heard from Mike & Lori tonight. They are in Shreveport. Everything is fine. They have run into a lot more construction (even on the interstate  :o who'd a thought!) so they decided to just head west. No WiFi anywhere so I'm posting a quick update. They will have to tell their own stories.

I think they may be dipping into Clifford's crab cakes & just didn't want to meet up with him in New Orleans.......    ;D ;D

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Jaime

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
Congratulations on the bus. If you decide to take I-40 the subtle climb from Albuquerque to flagstaff will slowly increase the temp on your bus so you need to keep an eye on it. I have never had an issue with heat but I have had to drop a gear to get it to cool down a bit then back into 4th on that run.

Offline LowTide

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Congratulations on the bus. If you decide to take I-40 the subtle climb from Albuquerque to flagstaff will slowly increase the temp on your bus so you need to keep an eye on it. I have never had an issue with heat but I have had to drop a gear to get it to cool down a bit then back into 4th on that run.

Thanks Jamie! We came across 20 and picked up 10 to avoid all the crazy people racing down from Flagstaff ;)
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline LowTide

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
Good news!
We made it in last night about 8:30, got a shower and spent some time with our dogs which were so happy to see us.
We had to admit, this was a trip of a lifetime and we brought home so many fond memories from it.....we really wish it didn't have to end.

Gonna spend the day resting as I sill feel exhausted, might even fry up some crab cakes for dinner ;) And of course some scrapple and eggs in the morning and then give the bus a good washing and clean the inside. The bus run great with no issues....she is such a good girl!

On another note......Cliff, I will try to call you tomorrow so you can get your crab cakes.
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal