Author Topic: tires  (Read 18758 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: tires
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 06:00:06 AM »
Big difference in a tire that has never been mounted than one that has and has been exposed to the elements Don

I have bought new 5 and 6 year tires for for my trailers from GCR in Tulsa for years I do know they will not cap a tire over 4 years old I always bought fresh tires for steer axle on the trucks fwiw  

I bought 8 Michelin's 315 R for a bus last month that will get your attention even through FMCA lol

It is all in the compound of a tire the tubeless tires of today are mostly a synthetic compound as the old tube type were mostly rubber  

I was at a trade show a couple of years ago the up and coming tire was the Bridgestone recyclable airless tire made of some type plastic I never heard any more about it ?  

Surely I am not the only one here old enough to remember the tires came wrapped in paper to protect it till sold lol  

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »
I've hit some really deep pot holes on the freeway that would make things fall in the bus and I would use that as a test for my old tires-- if the tires could take that kind of punishment they must still be good!  Like I said, I finally bought new ones after 12 years.  My old tires were Firestone HP3000 which were top of the line back then and I think that is why they lasted as long as they did.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:55:21 AM »
Big difference in a tire that has never been mounted than one that has and has been exposed to the elements Don

It is all in the compound of a tire the tubeless tires of today are mostly a synthetic compound as the old tube type were mostly rubber  

Clifford, if you are saying a tire stored outside, exposed to the elements and ozone all that other crap, I suppose so.  But you know and I know, age is age.  They are going to break down one way or the other, it is just a rule of life.

As for compounds?  Comments about compounds and a buyer having a choice iI don't agree with and here is why. If you want tires you get what the tire companies supply. The compounds used for our tires are a blend to give us all the characteristics we need for safety, including long life, traction, strength, tread wear, etc.

Truck and bus tires with a 6 year life are perfectly fine for the application because commercial users will wear out the tread every couple of years so a life span of XX years is not that important.

Now as for our needs, recreational bus owners.  We can probably get RV tires designed for long life casings, but something else will be given up because nothing is free. We might have to sacrifice ride or traction or noise level or something else to get a tire that lasts 10 years instead of 6 or 7.

And you are correct about the Michelins being expensive, they were horrible back in 2010 when I switched over to Firestone.  The Firestones will last okay I am sure of it, the ride is not all that good, but age will get this set in the end, just like the last.  Over two years old now, and they have less than 15K ... Thank Big Oil for that.

BCO

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »
Our oldest is a engineer at Michelin in Ardmore he couldn't even get me a deal lol he was Dayton for years in OKC till Bridgestone closed that plant there I got deals   

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Eagle Andy

• Cowboy Coach
  • 1968 Silver Eagle # 7481
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 08:26:54 AM »
Well i have a set of Firestones on the Eagle that the code say that they are 10 years old and they look like the just were put on. I plan on running them until they POP lol but that's me They never see the light of day unless they are turning round and round and when parked they always have something under them.
1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »
Our oldest is a engineer at Michelin in Ardmore he couldn't even get me a deal lol he was Dayton for years in OKC till Bridgestone closed that plant there I got deals   

good luck

My kid is a retired cop, and he never fixed a ticket for me, so I know what you are saying.  He did however, eat his fair share of donuts out of my kitchen.  That was a bum deal on Dayton, transfered all the jobs to Mexico, and to make matters worse, held out severance payments to the displaced American workers, until they trained the Mexicans.  Nice guys.

BCO

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
Well i have a set of Firestones on the Eagle that the code say that they are 10 years old and they look like the just were put on. I plan on running them until they POP lol but that's me They never see the light of day unless they are turning round and round and when parked they always have something under them.

Never a dull day on BCM ....  That is not smart.  It will rise up and bite you in the ____ one of these days.

BCO

Offline wildbob24

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
Back to our original subject, the seller of the tires referenced by the OP has stated that they are dated 2003.

Maybe not such a good deal after all.

Bob
P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
PD4106-2546, 8V71, 4sp
Greenville, GA

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »
Back to our original subject, the seller of the tires referenced by the OP has stated that they are dated 2003.

Maybe not such a good deal after all.

Bob

Maybe not-- I went out and got the DOT date on my Firestone HP3000 tires on my bus and they were 1998!

That makes them 14 years old,  and I have put 10k miles on them in the last year.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Eagle Andy

• Cowboy Coach
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:10 PM »
See I'm not the only one  ;D

Offline belfert

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
One blowout and you might be thinking new tires are cheaper than the repair bill for the blowout damage.  You can potentially do a lot of damage depending on how the tire failed.

My tires except the steers are from 2006.  I currently plan to run them through the 2013 season and probably replace in 2014.  I will mostly likely go used for the tags and maybe drives too if the deal is good enough.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:15:51 AM »
See I'm not the only one  ;D

You quickly came to mind this morning when I was writing my webpage.  I think it was something like this:  "When I am around you, I feel more intellectually challenged. Thank you for that. When I am around you I come alive, feel inspired, and have fun. You have that uncanny characteristic that just naturally seems to bring about the best in people; those who you come in contact with definitely are rewarded by your presence. Thanks for having such a great impact on me."

(http://boxcarokie.com/2012/10/26/chill-in-the-air/)

Yeah, that might have been it.  And yes, you are right.  It appears that there are several just like you.

BCO

Offline Eagle Andy

• Cowboy Coach
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
 ;D

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
I am in the same category as Eagle Andy. I run my tires as long as there is tread and they are not weather checked. The Bridgestones on our 4106 were 15 years old before I took them off, when I noticed there was some weather checking between the tread but not on the sidewalls. The Michelins on the front of our MC 8 are dated 508, so I guess they are 14 years old. No weather checking anywhere. BUT, my wife read the article in the Family Motor Coach Magazine about tires recently and says they have to go before we start traveling next spring. Lots of tread left, so if she agrees, they will be going on the tag since there is less weight there. She may not go along with that idea. Old habits are hard to change.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
Go for it boys!

Hammer Down ... Hammer Down ...
Six on the floor and the other one out the _______ door ... Hammer Down.

BCO

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal