Author Topic: Looking for Mini-Splits  (Read 22909 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Re: Re: Looking for Mini-Splits
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
Directly over the windshield.
facing straight down the middle.
same with the rear unit, over the bed facing up the hall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Re: Looking for Mini-Splits
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »
Am I confused...50 amp service at 240 volts at the park is like 12,000 watts...right?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 05:02:04 AM »
Am I confused...50 amp service at 240 volts at the park is like 12,000 watts...right?

Yes: Volts X Amps = watts.

So say you need 1,000 watts out of your inverter @ 120 VAC, on the D. C. side of that circuit @ 13.8 volts you would theoretically need to provide 72.46 amps per hour of service from your battery bank. In reality, you probably want to make plans to provide an extra 25% (90.57 amps total), as there will always be some ineffeciency in your system.

If you have a 24-volt inverter and battery bank, then your current requirement is cut in half and produces the same watts.
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline Midwilshire

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
Well, I purchased a mini-split, installed it, and did a full write-up in my "Introducing the Silverliner" project thread.  We are very happy with the mini-split so far.  For those who might be interested in going this route, I suggest you check out the write up.  Here's a few pics to pique your interest.

Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Full-timers in the DC area

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Looking for Mini-Splits
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the story/pics.  I have a dual zone mini split sitting in the garage waiting to go into the bus.  I'll be sure to post about my adventure with it as well.

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline ArtGill

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
This fall I put a mini split in the rear of my Eagle.  It has an unused compartment across the rear over the engine where the coach air was.

Look up complaints on Solaris. 

I just up the road from you, so please call me if you have any questions.  An excuse to go to Wilmington would OK.

One suggestion I have is to put drains on both ends of the evaporater.  That way the coach not being level will not cause the bed to be wet.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline pvcces

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2013, 11:11:14 PM »
We just ordered 6, 3 of each. We got them from Quality Matters. The whole works, including shipping to the lower 48, was just over $600 per set.

These will be replaceable for the price of an ordinary refrigerator. Brand has no bearing on available parts that I could see. We have installed 14 SEER 13 units, so far, with four or five different labels. The parts from one work in the others.

We didn't buy any of the Soleus brand because they didn't have good enough specs and they seemed to have some heating limitations that we have not seen in any of the others.

If you can match the model numbers on the metal tags, that will reduce the chance of misfits.

Most of the inverter models are only available in 230 volts, as far as I can tell. If you are interested in good performance, stick with the R410A refrigerant.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:35 AM »
Definitely want to say subscribed to this thread. Hoping mini splits will be the new standard in coaches. We already have our heart set on building another coach/truck conversion using a freightliner argosy cabover chassis and we want to do a quality job. Never been happy with roof a/c and looking forward to including mini splits in our build. Sean, please def include pics when you do your install. Those of you who are using them already, how do you like them? Quiet? Cold? Efficient?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal