Author Topic: Guys have done 60 series install ?  (Read 4989 times)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Guys have done 60 series install ?
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm building my own cradle . Do I need to add a slope toward trans end of engine on 60 series for any reason?  It's all lined up ready for final  adjustment!    Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline WorkSux

• 1982 MCI 1999 Prevost XL-45
Re: Guys have done 60 series install ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
My engine sits level on the cradle.

Offline B_K

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
Bob I don't think they have any if much slope.
Just curious but wouldn't it be easier to get a cradle from a salvage bus than to build one?
;D  BK  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
The cradle is made level but Prevost uses shims between the frame and cradle to get the right slope I forgot the degrees in the slope but they slope to the front of the engine at least mine does,Prevost sell the shims if you need those or make your own

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
Already built: I wanted a heavier one than prevost after seeing DKO  I used their plan but with the eaton couldn't tell if there was a drop. I think WorkSux answered that.  The big reason I ask was a haunting question about a hot spot on a 60 series cooling system(head) that was prone to a air lock. Bk  would you actually believe I'm picking up new rubber mounts tomorrow to bolt up and make final alignment.  Been a long haul!!!  Clifford  could that be for that cooling problem?  Sounds like I need to call prevost tech.  That front (engine) mount is easily shimmed.  Will definitely follow thru. Don't need to fry new motor.   Bob

Offline Hard Headed Ken

• 1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift
    • Link to my engine swap
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
An important part is drive shaft alignment. Raise, lower or shim the transmission so that the trans output shaft and the differential pinion shaft are parallel to one another and 6 degrees max on drive shaft alignment. I've seen people get away with more misalignment but 6 degrees is a safe number.

Ken
Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
Bob, my engine slopes down at the front of the engine (rear of the bus).  I did this to get the proper driveshaft alignment.  

I was told by an expert that I would have a severe problem with air locks in the cooling system and the rear cylinders would overheat.  Indeed, in a truck, the engine has a slight slope with flywheel end down.  

The issue is that there is a small hose that goes from the head to the top of the radiator.  In a truck that hose is connected close to the front of the engine so that any air (some created from cavitation) trapped in the head would travel to the highest point in the head and out the hose to the radiator.

I simply connected the hose to the rear of the engine and called it good.  Have not had a problem.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
Ken well within that limit. Set air bags at  10 1/2 then did alignment. Blocked shimmed ,checked. rechecked.  Glad to hear from you.  Sorry I have been so slow on project. You know why-Have decided not to push it for this winter. Things are good now. I've still got your # seen pictures or your new coach  awsome!!   Bob

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »
Jim: I new somewhere in my memory their was a cooling problem. Yes my engine is a 2000 model freightlinner.  Thanks for clearing that up. I need those helpful reboots !!!!   Bob

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »
Bob I have no idea what the shims are for could be the cooling I just thought it maybe a little "got you" for the B500 all I was told  make sure and install those back in the same place by my friend at WW Williams so I will when the time comes and I don't forget

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
Clifford  Could be that 6 degree Ken is talking about.  Combination of info on this board saves a awful lot of re-do's.  Like the stream possibility on head and easy solution when using truck engine.  You guys are good.   Thanks   Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal