Author Topic: blinkers intermittent  (Read 5234 times)

Offline loadera10

• 1985 Eagle Model 10
blinkers intermittent
« on: November 03, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
 ??? My 1985 Eagle Model 10 left side blinkers are not working correctly.The front blinkers work left and right,front to back, but when it acts up only passanger side works front and back. If the bus has been sitting overnight the blinkers will work correct for 5 to 6 times switching right to left. The hazzard lights are the same. A few tries on and off and then only passanger side works. I have switched relays still same malfunction.  I am scratching my head on this......any advise will be appreciated. I hope this makes sense
Mike Chappell
1985 Eagle Model 10
8v71
Allison Auto
Bossier City La

Offline Van

Re: blinkers intermittent
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »
I would check the bulbs first, then grounds, then the lead wire for voltage with a meter.
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Online luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:04:50 PM »
Check the flasher unit in the bay it sounds like your problem 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Scott Crosby

• Bus Grease Monkey Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:13 AM »
Have you changed any of your bulbs to LED's.  Those blinker relays work by power draw and the LED's are so efficient that they don't work properly.  You have to add a resister or change the relay to get them to work 100%. 
61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 04:42:52 AM »
   Have you changed any of your bulbs to LED's.  Those blinker relays work by power draw and the LED's are so efficient that they don't work properly.  You have to add a resister or change the relay to get them to work 100%. 

Yes, Scott, you're right here, but I think you should be using the term "flasher unit".  Not that it matters to our conversation here (I think everybody knows what you mean), but if he goes into NAPA and asks for a "relay" the guy may give him a different part than if he asks for a "flasher unit".
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline sledhead

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:48:40 AM »
Mine did the same thing. All it was,was a bad ground .Extended the wire and moved the ground location .Has worked ever since       dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Online luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 04:55:02 AM »
The new electronic flashers units are self adjusting to a load best 20 bucks you can spend,his unit is electronic and they go bad they are pricey for his model so I would change over to the new smaller electronic flasher.

If his bus has been converted they may have moved his flasher sometimes they are hard to locate when people move the units and install it behind a wall lol BTDT
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
Hi, my still original flasher relays, didn't function when I first got the MCI, they are old fashioned mechanical relays enclosed in a see thru tube like case, from the 1960's era, mounted in the engine compartment. By pulling the relays, cleaning the contact points, and slightly bending the contact blades, for a more secure hold, and then excercising the inner contacts for a few weeks, just by using them frequently, thes older era electronics have come back to life, and work fine, my history in electronics, especially the old engineers who always told me to excersice the equipment, before throwing it way, still holds true, but like Clifford says, the new ones can handle loads not even thought of back in 1966, my Dad always used to say checkout your grounds first thing, next item up for me is to locate a hi beam foot switch, which is rusted, not sure if I need a 24 volt for this or if a generic will do,  lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
Check all your bulbs to see if any are 12 VDC if your system is 24VDC.  I had a problem with mine--worked with the engine off, but when the engine was on they wouldn't flash!

Apparently, since I changed my rear lights to LED's, putting one 12 VDC bulb in any other position draws too much current(inrush), and kicks out the circuit breaker.  I scratched my head for days!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline loadera10

• 1985 Eagle Model 10
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:42:42 AM »
Thanks for the info on things to check. I haven't been ignoring all the posts. My work shift is not allowing me to work on the bus. I'm hopeing that friday I will be able to work on her. All of this happened when I pushed in the hazzard switch on the steering column in stead of the dash. The red tab of hazzard switch on column was borken off but I pushed it in anyway. I drilled a small hole in the cinter of switch screwed in a screw pulled out switch, but still have the problem. Do any of you think that this has anything to do with my problem. All lights worked correctly beffore I pushed in switch?
Mike Chappell
1985 Eagle Model 10
8v71
Allison Auto
Bossier City La

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
  Thanks for the info on things to check. I haven't been ignoring all the posts. My work shift is not allowing me to work on the bus. I'm hopeing that friday I will be able to work on her. All of this happened when I pushed in the hazzard switch on the steering column in stead of the dash. The red tab of hazzard switch on column was borken off but I pushed it in anyway. I drilled a small hole in the cinter of switch screwed in a screw pulled out switch, but still have the problem. Do any of you think that this has anything to do with my problem. All lights worked correctly beffore I pushed in switch? 

Just a WAIG, but if I had to bet some of what little money on something, I'd bet that that switch is your problem.  It's almost as sure as "what was the last thing you fixed"!
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline loadera10

• 1985 Eagle Model 10
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
 ??There has to be a grounding problem. I've replaced all lights, cleaned all grounding points and wires on blinker lights. All blinkers worked for three days the started acting up. When the left side blinkers are not working I can push on the top left corner of fuze panel and all of a sudden everything works. I haven't quite found the smoking gun. I am closer to the qulprit.
Mike Chappell
1985 Eagle Model 10
8v71
Allison Auto
Bossier City La

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal