Author Topic: Inverter system  (Read 7724 times)

Offline rip

Re: Inverter system
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
I agree with Bob.I have 4 8ds for starting and house and have one group 31 for my gen set.I have been using this system for 9 years with no problems.
      Don

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:05 PM »
You may want to re-evaluate the decision to use AGM.  I have 2x of the deks/eastpenn 8g8d and could have got alot more.  I dont mind checking the spec grav or electrolyte level myself so im looking at other options.

Im fulltiming (new fulltimers-2 months so far) with the setup described except we havrnt started ojr geberator as the solar has kept the batteries full while in the southwest.  Havent plugged in for a month now.

Chose Outback power for inverter and solar controler based on their offgrid full duty equipment.
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

Offline TomC

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
I'm about to replace my 2-8D Lifeline AGM's. One died and the other I'm sure is not far behind. They were warranteed for 5yr-mine are 8yrs old. I'm going to buy them again-it's like not even having a battery-there is virtually no maintenance-except cleaning the terminals maybe every 2yrs.

On my truck I'm going to use the 2,800watt Magnum pure sine off 12vdc.  Also going to use Lifeline L16 6v batteries.  They are 400amp/hr apiece.  Four total will give me 800amp/hrs at 12vdc.  They weigh about 115lbs compared to the 8D's that weigh 160lbs.  That extra 55lbs makes a big difference.  If you have the room for the taller L16's, I'd use them (remember you can lay them down also!).  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
I know people complain about Lifeline AGMs but our experience has matched Tom's.  Ours are at least 8 years old now - I think they're older than that.  I equalize them twice a year and other than that I don't know they exist.  I was green as grass when I bought them from Dick Wright (some would say I'm not much better now).  I told him I didn't know anything about batteries.  He said wet cells were the cheapest solution as long as I did the maintenance and if I didn't do the maintenance then AGM was the way to go.  I said "bring on the AGMs".  I guess it was painful at the time but I've never regretted the decision.  The guy at Cdn Customs couldn't believe anybody would pay that much for batteries.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Lifeline AGM batteries last a long time in cooler climates they do not do good in the AZ heat BTDT 

I have had those plus sell a few and the LifeLline people are great to work but they base their specs on 68 degrees after 77 degrees the self discharge rate goes way up forget about the 2% they advertize , you pay for the warranty big time over a 100 bucks each on the 8D"s

The Concord is the same battery without the 5 year warranty
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal