Author Topic: Fulltimers...How Did You Downsize?  (Read 16577 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
Re: Fulltimers...How Did You Downsize?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
My wife has a horse and I have a racecar, and we both wanted to keep them.  Here's what we're doing:  I bought a place in North Carolina that has a house and a mother-in-law apt above a separate 3 car garage.  I put my mother in the house and we are taking the apt.  We have a place to store stuff now, and someone to feed the horse while we're traveling.  I suppose we are going to be some-timer's not full-timers, but the wife needed a home base.  I'm not done yet, but I have full-timed before and I am pretty sure this will work.  Last time I had an enclosed car trailer to do mechanical work/storage in and that worked pretty good.
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
PP,   Life is about making memories, not living in them,,,,, Smiley

What is that suppose to mean? Are you for fulltiming or against it.

Dave5Cs ???
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
Dave5Cs,
I am not advocating for or against fulltiming. It works for us, but I know it doesn't work for most. I was referring to the 'stuff' that you have to leave behind when you down size as memories. Maybe not the best play on words, but I tried,
Will :D

Offline TheHollands!

• thehollands!
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »
We didn't keep things in storage, my wife loves shopping so figures it will be pretty exciting if we ever settle down again. We initially tried to sell everything in garage sales but had a string of bad weather and events clashing so ended up having a donation sale. We put everything we owned out and a bowl for people to put a donation in. i didn't want to know what individually people were paying for my stuff. Had to check my heart with the idea that someone might take advantage of an opportunity like this. Some folks put in too much money and some maybe not enough. Anything that didn't go went to the thrift store. At the end of the day I felt good that my stuff was gone and maybe it ended up in the right hands. We still have been off loading things from the bus a year in. We hope if we ever settle down again that we will hold to things loosely. Craig

The Hollands!
1984 MCI-9
www.tillersandtravelers.wordpress.com
Musical Nomads

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
Insert Quote
We didn't keep things in storage, my wife loves shopping so figures it will be pretty exciting if we ever settle down again."

Great outlook, Craig, I will have to remember that ;D

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »
we kept going on the road more and more, finally rented the house out for a year to try it.  since it was family, we rented it furnished, almost like a house watcher since they paid way less than normal.  Anyway, the year went by well, so we sold the house, auctioned off most if not all, bought a trailer to put some stuff in for when we're too old to drive.  We've gradually cut down on some things like clothes.  We pile summer uniforms in there for the winter, pile winter clothes in there for the summer.  We leave some stuff with family when we don't think we need it for 5 months.
Life is good.  I don't miss a home base at all, Fran's happy we have parking in a couple places as well as our own private campground for us and friends, when we need it, away from all.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal