Author Topic: What is the better route from Chicago to Toms River, NJ?  (Read 5477 times)

Offline belfert

What is the better route from Chicago to Toms River, NJ?
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
Google Maps has two suggested routes from Chicago to Toms River, NJ.  One route takes I80 most of the way just about skirting the southern end of NYC.  The other route takes I80 to I76.  The routes are within 15 miles of each other in distance.  I've been out east only once or twice by car so I'm not familiar with traffic out that way.

I'm thinking the I76 route would be better because it goes further south and avoids more of the population density.  Is there a good reason to take the I80 route that ends up taking takes I287 south to New Jersey?

One of my friends thinks it is crazy to take a bus/motorhome past Chicago, but I have no choice here.  I do know there is a lot more traffic compared to going west on I80.  On I80 west we just cruise at 65 MPH for hours on end and see just a few vehicles from time to time.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Mike in GA

Re: What is a good route from Chicago to Toms River, NJ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »
Brian-
     I would recommend using I-76, a.k.a. The Pennsylvania Turnpike in that state, for two reasons: it keeps you away from NYC and it seems a bit more direct. I have learned the hard way that Mapquest and other GPS devices rely on miles to project driving time, often ignoring congestion. Anything near NYC is congested.
     Be forewarned however that the PA Tpke has a reputation for being a rough road, often under construction. These complaints have softened in recent years. And although you'll be trading Phila congestion for NYC congestion, the former is much more manageable, especially in a big rig. The tpke has a website that shows construction sites, etc.
Good luck!
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
The whole reason Google Maps shows I80 all the way as the preferred route is because it is about 10 minutes faster by Google's estimate.  It is actually about 12 miles longer to take I80.  Thanks for confirming that I76 would be the preferred route.  The bad thing about either I80 or I76 in PA is the tolls.  The toll calculator estimates around $85 each way in tolls for the bus without trailer.  We may take my 5x10 enclosed trailer if we need to take a lot of tolls.  Luckily, the trailer doesn't add much to the toll.

Google routes us on I90 all the way through Chicago.  No flipping way would I ever take that route except maybe at 3 am.  I90 through downtown is always busy even on weekends.  I'm trying to decide if taking I39 all the way down to I80 would make sense to avoid the traffic and most of the tolls.  Tolls are something I never have to worry about going west.  Tolls will add $300+ to the trip cost.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
Why would one not know Brian is going to ask for the best route and then tell you the route he is taking the guy cracks me up sometimes lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »
Why would one not know Brian is going to ask for the best route and then tell you the route he is taking the guy cracks me up sometimes lol

The whole reason I asked the question is to see if there is a good reason to take the I80 to I287 route.  The one person who responded recommended the I76 route.  I was already thinking the I76 route is better because it stays further from NYC, but there might be some good reason not to take I76.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: What is the better route from Chicago to Toms River, NJ?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »
Brian -

Do you HAVE to go thru Chicago?

If you're not on a "banzai run" to get there AFAP, you might consider doing what Sean & Louise do: stay off the interstates.  May take a little longer, but most likely will miss all the tolls. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »
No requirement to go through Chicago.  Chicago isn't so bad on the weekend as long as one stays off I90 through downtown.  We might take I39 down to I80 which avoids most of the tolls.  There are other routes through Iowa, but they all take slower highways and it adds 75 miles each way.

The plan I am formulating right now is to leave Minneapolis around 9 am on a Saturday morning.  We will then arrive on the Jersey shore by late afternoon Sunday.  Monday through Friday we will work on my uncle's house.  We will then head back to Minneapolis Saturday morning arriving back in Minneapolis late Sunday.

Offline Van

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
I80 East to Pa turnpike 476 south, 276 east to NJ turnpike north to next exit 7, 206 south, left at the light 68, heading toward Ft Dix/ mcquire AFB, Left on county 537 (Monmouth county rd), to county 539make right to rte 70, Left on 70, right on 37 (lakehurst rd.)to Toms River. ;) 
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
What Van said. I've driven it. Pa Turnpike is a piece of crap road but it is well marked and they keep the ice of it mostly. Grades are not to bad.

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Van

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »
There are shorter ways but they are not real reliable this time of the year through Pa and NJ, but ya really got to know the area to navigate them. All the best to your uncle Brian, if you get in deep shite down there, I have some Brothers over at the base/post I could dispatch out to check on you guys.

And here is a big floor stomp, watch your six down there, there has been a major influx of conmen scammers, and the like into the hard hit areas!

All the best to you guys!
    Van

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »
Van,
My wife who was in the Army 27 yrs ago had to tell me what that meant, LOL
watch your six down there.

Dave5Cs ;D :D
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »
Dave, knowing Van for a few years I still don't what he is saying sometimes his the NJ accent and me with the Texas accent we lose a little in translation lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
        Like I said before Pa. turnpike has ice/snow----I-80 has ice/snow as well as lots more deer.
        Price of Ohio pike full length  with my bus towing Jeep ,, $40.00, Pa pike toll, west border to Carlisle $40.85, and that is not full length. Indiana Toll is high.
        Please be certain to fill fuel in Pa., if you have any gas powered stuff take extra gas.
        You are on a short time frame, but if you had time, I would go all the way down to I-70 to I-76, on east I-70 to I-76 some 2 lane roads--some bad wheather also,????
        The only route I have not done in the bus is I-80 cause it is 75 miles North of my house near I-81/I-76,Carlisle.
        Good luck, check wheather  on route, it changes suddenly in fall/winter.

Offline belfert

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
I figured the tolls pretty close and it would be just about $300 round trip.  Are you saying to drop down to I-70 because of current weather conditions, or because of winter weather conditions in general?  We wouldn't leave for two to three weeks.  The I70 to I76 route is not bad and the savings in tolls would just about cover the extra 200 miles of travel.  PA tolls are the worst at $160+ round trip.  I do have EZ-Pass so that does save some on the tolls.

I posted on another thread I started that is unlikely we will go because my uncle likely has to raze his house and rebuild on stilts.  (No rehab.)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal