Author Topic: Disaster relief: bus trip  (Read 13289 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Disaster relief: bus trip
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
Dallas,you think he spun a main ?
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Clifford, it doesn't sound like it, but it's always possible that front one went titsup.

I'm thinking at worst it lost the pin in a relief valve and dumped all pressure.

A set of bearings, some Emory cloth and new relief valves might fix it easily.

When was the last time you saw one die like that?

Dallas,you think he spun a main ?
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »
I was thinking it happen before he stopped and he just noticed it when he started off again, the pin on the relief valve could have broke or the bolts came loose and it fell off seen that before.

The young man is trying to do a good deed I hope it is a simple fix

Offline mike802

• 1983 MCI MC9
    • www.mjamsdenfurniture.com
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
He got all his delivery's finished today, and will be staying in a hotel tonight.  Planing on heading home tomorrow and working out where he is going to have the bus towed to. His friend has a place with a slab and a fork lift that would be great for removing the engine, have to see how things work out.
Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont

Offline mike802

• 1983 MCI MC9
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »
He's home, safe and sound.  Now we just have to get the bus back to Vermont.
Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »
   He's home, safe and sound.  Now we just have to get the bus back to Vermont. 

I'm glad he's safe - hope the bus isn't an expensive fix!   Bruce H,  NC   USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline mike802

• 1983 MCI MC9
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
When he pulled up the the pumps the engine was running poorly, then he saw a cloud of smoke pass him, he checked the oil pressure gauge saw there was none and shut her down.  Went out to look at the engine and saw a little smoke coming out around the engines front pulley area.  If he has to rebuild he is considering an upgrade, maybe adding a turbo, or a 92, but would like to stay away from any computer controlled stuff.
Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont

Offline hargreaves

• 1987 MCI 102A3
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
computer controlled stuff would have shut the engine down saving it  before it self destructed itself.  Cheers Gerry
now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
A well maintain shut down system on a mechanical engine would do the same Gerry

Offline belfert

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »
Well maintained is the key with the alarm systems on a mechanical engine.  How many busnuts just bypass the systems when they start to fail instead of fixing them?  I read about guys bypassing them all the time.  Some busnuts feel they can watch the gauges close enough to shut the engine off before it is damaged.

An electronic engine makes it hard to bypass safety features since the engine won't run.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 06:03:35 AM »
Yep that is what I don't like about a override on the older mechanical engine buses or a DDEC,he probably broke the oil pickup tube

Offline mike802

• 1983 MCI MC9
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
,he probably broke the oil pickup tube
  I'm not trying to start a debate on electrical vs mechanical engine controls, both have some very good pro's and of course their cons, but from a young mans point of view, with a limited budget, staying with a mechanical engine would be more cost effective, but I could be wrong.   

I am thinking the broke oil pick up tube sounds like the most logical point of failure, with my limited knowledge of diesel engines. An emergency shut down system would have been a God send.  Even a simple big red low oil pressure light like the drag racers use would have been nice.  An added benefit of a loud buzzer would help the driver to "notice" the red light if he, or she was kind of zoning out at the moment it went off. But if the oil pick up tube did indeed break or fall off, how many seconds would a driver have to pull over and shut the engine down before catastrophic failure?
Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont

Offline hargreaves

• 1987 MCI 102A3
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »
We were disposing of some old 6v71 buses at work on day , draining the fluids etc.  We decided to see how long one would last at wide open throttle with no oil or coolant. We wired the govenor wide open fired it up and everyone scattered. that puppy ran for 4min  before it slowly came to a screeching halt. surprised the heck out of us.  pulled the pan off there was no damage to the bearings . The pistons however didn't look quite as good. Lol     

Cheers Gerry.
now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
I had 8v71 in tanks when you drain the oil to permanently display one at VFW they will run on the average of 8 mins without oil fwiw

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 08:46:33 AM »
  We were disposing of some old 6v71 buses at work on day , draining the fluids etc.  We decided to see how long one would last at wide open throttle with no oil or coolant, that puppy ran for 4min 

I had 8v71 in tanks will run on the average of 8 mins without oil fwiw 

Once,  I was driving a Range Rover with a test diesel engine (before the BMW takeover and move to BMW diesel engines).  They had welded a special sample and thermocouple fitting into the drain plug -- it fell out and dumped the engine oil.  Red light on the dash flashed and the horn blew -- I was in the slow lane ("right lane" on the Motorway in England) so I jammed the clutch, switched off the engine and pulled over on the shoulder - but I heard the engine STOP!  (not "bubba-bubba-bub" stop, but I mean STOP right now!)  The pistons and bearings were locked tighter than Garhawk's wallet -- they had to disassemble that engine with a press!  So, it goes to show ya ...
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal