Author Topic: Gillig Low Floor Conversions  (Read 30526 times)

Offline belfert

Re: Gillig Low Floor Conversions
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
The floor is so low on these buses that the tanks would probably be in a similar location height wise to a typical transit bus.  The wheel wells in these new transit buses take up space formerly used for seats.  Locally all 40 foot transit buses will soon be all the low floor type and there have been complaints about reduced seating capacity.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
It might be better to think of the the floor to being where the baggage bay floors are in a highway coach, with a healthy headroom above.

Putting the tanks on the floor, and then building a new higher floor above them to match the higher floor in the rear will prove to be an easier task than what it took to convert a transit in days gone by. Also easier to prevent freezing in colder climates.

Mark my words, low floor transits are the new frontier,. They have stainless frames, fit under more bridges, and have an overdrive drive train in them for getting across the continent. And they will be cheap.

Busnuts frequently go for the value, and a low floor transit has value in spades.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 06:24:04 AM »
Here are a few pics of the new bus before we drove it 200 miles home:

Here's a link to what I've posted about the project on a different forum:

http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2541

I'm not yet sure which forum I'll use for the build thread. I love the depth and breadth of experience on this forum, but I think the Nomadicista site needs this project for small group morale. Whichever site I use, I'll post update notices on the other.

Jim in North Carolina
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.

Offline sledhead

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
Jim congratulations on the new to you bus!! I think the flat floor is a great idea. The tanks will be easy to install just cut a access door on the outside for valves, later changes.Same with the batteries (maybe on a roll out tray ? )As for propane yes outside with lots of fresh air.The rest will be easier then on my mc1 102c.Insulate the org floor with rigid foam ,1/2 " ply to start and start laying out the design with a marker. All the best ,keep us informed.       dave  
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
Jim-- how about a few pictures of the interior that shows us the space you are going to use for tanks, etc?

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »
Took me a while to get this conversion rolling. We've had several distractions, including weather. I'm in full swing now. I decided to do the build thread on Nomadicista.org, but here is a link: http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2541

I've not had the bus out in the past couple weeks because of the 5' wide hole where the door used to be. Figuring out the system for attaching the new steel frame to the aluminum body has been an unexpected challenge, but I believe I have that in hand now. Update in the next couple days. The solution turned out to be these things:

I've had to focus a lot of energy on getting the rudiments of the solar power system working and on getting our utility building usable, but the bus is beginning to show change. I'm working under a self-imposed deadline since we need to take it to PA for a week at the end of this month. Will be interesting to see how "livable" it is by then, but we've already cancelled the insurance and plate on the step van. Nothing like a burned bridge for motivation.

Before I removed the original door, I had the bus around town several times. Every time I go out, someone stops me and wants to see inside or talk about the conversion plans. People seem attracted to this bus in a way they never were to the Flxible Metro. After seeing my Gillig, I am certain some are thinking "bus conversion" for the first time in their life.

Speaking of the Flex, we got it in May of 2001. That summer, we took the family to Niagra Falls. The exterior still looked much as it had when it was a city bus. As we were leaving Niagra that afternoon, an elderly woman on the sidewalk waved at me and began hustling toward what we then noticed to be a bus stop just ahead. I considered for a moment stopping and letting her on and dealing with her confusion, but instant fear of a kidnapping charge kept me from it. As I drove on I could see her rude gesture in the curbside mirror. I wouldn't be surprised if some local transit manager got an earful the next day. Took us several miles to stop laughing.
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,

Offline sledhead

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »
lostranger   Your link would not work for me ?                       dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 06:28:20 AM »
Mister Jim: That is a very nice looking bus! Congratulations!

Off topic maybe, but I for one would love to see some photos and details of your stepvan conversion.

Thanks in advance!
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline seaton@mta

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 06:34:11 AM »
Jim,

Having a fishbowl suburban, I certainly envy you the standing and walking around room.  Good luck with your conversion!  I think that it would be an interesting project.

-- Seaton

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
Here's the link to my conversion thread again. Sorry some are having trouble. It worked for me:                http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2541

As far as pictures of the step van conversion go, there's not much to see. We have indeed lived in it for over a year, but it was never close to finished. We decided it was too small for our needs almost as soon as we got it. I have removed most of the conversion stuff already, and the rest will go as soon as we move into the Gillig. I'm leaving the 1-1/2" polyisocyanurate insulation and selling the truck as a bare shell. Someone will buy it for camper or food truck use. It's a great van with two curbside doors and no rear door.

We have to go out of town for a couple days. I won't be able to update the door work on the Gillig until late in the week.

Jim
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
I've posted an update to my build thread. It's here:  http://nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2541&p=19361#p19361

Many thinks to Brucebear for getting me to Charlotte, NC to see a place that does double decker conversions on the Gillig Low Floor platform. It was educational and a great time. Bruce, thanks again, and I hope your double decker is sailing the high seas — uh, roads — soon.

Here is a work in progress:

Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »
  Many thinks to Bruce for getting me to Charlotte, NC to see a place that does double decker conversions on the Gillig Low Floor platform. It was educational and a great time. Bruce, thanks again, and I hope your double decker is sailing the high seas — uh, roads — soon.   

Was my pleasure, Jim.  Glad you came - if it will be helpful (or if you're just in the neighborhood), come on by again.   BH
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal