Author Topic: Any thoughts on electric steps?  (Read 7596 times)

Offline belfert

Any thoughts on electric steps?
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »
Any thoughts on using electric steps with a bus?  I have a set I bought soome years ago, but I have never installed them.

The primary reason I never added them is because I'm not sure how to wire them so they don't get left extended while driving.  My understanding is that a S&S motorhome auto retracts the steps when the motor is running.  I would like to be able to extend them when the motor is running as we often stop for just a few minutes and don't shut off the engine.  Obviously when we're camping we want the steps out all the time, but I would still want the step to retract when moving if we forget to flip the switch.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Any thoughts on electric steps?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:31 AM »
My Vogue has an alarm on the dash for steps and antenna.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline crown

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:59:07 AM »
 brain mine have a magnick contact like used in home alarms for doors/windows when you open door
step goes out close door step comes in there is a another switch when parked that cut the power so
the step stays out when parked for camping  john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
Why not just use the wiring diagram from Kwikke Step with a little modification not hard to do by hooking those to the parking brakes with a air pressure switch for 7 bucks install the pressure switch  in the parking valve line and connect it between the switch and the step real simple huh
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
Steps hung under the front door were abandoned by the industry.

You rip it off swinging the nose over the curb.

The old ways of a charter driver, a wooden box of suitable dimensions, chain fixed to the grab bar inside, can't close door on the chain with the box deployed, box lives on the step while driving.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
I thought all the tour buses kneel now days BW

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »
I didn't realize the steps themselves have the control circuitry built right into the step itself.  That makes it pretty easy.  My step is not a Kwikee, but is a WFCO.  It appears to be a direct replacement for a Kwikee.  I had assumed the steps just have the motor and the controls would be in the motorhome.  I finally opened the box today and discovered it has all the controls.

I assume an air pressure switch could replace the ignition override?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
Yes, everything, highway and transit, deflates the front suspension in one way or another to lower the first step up.

part of the accessibility equipment.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »

The old ways of a charter driver, a wooden box of suitable dimensions, chain fixed to the grab bar inside, can't close door on the chain with the box deployed, box lives on the step while driving.

My bus did have a pneumatic step, but it appears it had gotten ripped off at some point.  I had assumed it got ripped off when extended.  I didn't realize they would get ripped off even when retracted.  I'll have to check to see if I have enough clearance for the steps when retracted.  Dina buses ride a fair bit higher than other makes and that is the reason a step is almost a requirement.

I've been using a plastic step since I got the bus, but most of the time it never gets used for short stops.  I've also lost two plastic steps due to leaving them somewhere.  I never thought of the chain idea.  The current plastic step is really too small and it has gotten kicked out a couple of times.  I thought an electric step would get around the issues with a separate step.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:15 AM »
PO had electric steps on my bus, after he crunched them the second time while they were retracted, he got rid of them.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11:43 AM »
You will be fine Belfert there are some Eagles running around with steps that have been installed for over 20 years if you tear one off don't blame the step lol very seldom do the steps ripped off a S and S jobs guess that about says it

Offline Boomer

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »
Gary Bennett at B&B makes the slickest one I have seen, it retracts up even with the body.  I have one on my mid-entry (with a warning light) and you don't know it's even there.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline LowTide

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »

happy coaching!
buswarrior

We just went through this on our trip home. We were boarding the ferry from Ocracoke island heading to the mainland, we started to enter the boarding ramp and the step caught some part of the ramp and bent it pretty good (the ramp seemed a bit steep). Fortunately, it did not bend the bottom step of the entry into the coach.

Since then, we have decided to purchase a step to place outside the door and do away with the pull out step. I do like the idea of the pull out or electric step, but from what little experience we have with regards to either and what what happened to us, it just doesn't seem practical to have one.
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
If you install the step right like Boomers if the step tears off you will also get the door lol

Offline Van

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »
Or just come to an abrupt halt!  ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal