Author Topic: Rear Bumper Skirt  (Read 9914 times)

Offline garhawk

Rear Bumper Skirt
« on: November 12, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
A rear skirt hanging from the bumper, seems to me, would help the road grime and soot situation covering the front of my toad.  I'm thinking of the one that looks similar to a hula skirt - see 'em on most of the UPS and FedX over the road trucks.

Do they work, where to buy, how to install, etc?
gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Rear Bumper Skirt
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »
Gary, they are called brush skirts any RV supply for around 50 bucks it is not going to stop the soot

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline B_K

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »
Gary, they are called brush skirts any RV supply for around 50 bucks it is not going to stop the soot

good luck

But he has a 60 Series, shouldn't be any soot! LOL!  ;)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
Gary, I would question what it will do to the air flow of your cooling system. You want to get rid of all the heat you can and that could hold heat in.

Wayne

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
BK,I left that part alone I didn't say a word

good luck

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
I think a better method would be to buy a new PREVERT like your brother did then pay someone to wash everything!!LOL ;D

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »
Rear mudflaps are a genuine no-no for MCI and GM for cooling reasons.  One of the Eagle folk can tell you if it makes any difference on yours.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:27:49 AM »
  I think a better method would be to buy a new PREVERT like your brother did then pay someone to wash everything!!LOL ;D 

Man, that's *hard*!!!
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
Interesting to know about rear mudflaps and overheating issues on the GM's...

I have been contemplating making some rear wheel well covers in aluminium sheet for drag reduction...trying to increase mileage...

Has anyone else ever tried them?

I would be surprised if they would effect cooling...but with aero...even Adrian Newey gets surprised every now and then...lol

Dave
Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....

Offline crown

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »
 all the big rv motorhomes use them some are very nice with s/s trim why not on a bus ? john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
   all the big rv motorhomes use them some are very nice with s/s trim why not on a bus ? john

John, they have to be "tuned" to the setup of each bus (at least the solid mudflaps do).  If the bus has lots of outlets for the air and an air supply, putting a solid mudflap just behind the rear tires (and I mean all the way across the width of the bus, not just behind the tires) usually helps make a "vacuum bubble" to draw air out of the engine area.  If there are good inlets but no way for hot air to get out of the engine bay except through the lower openings, putting a solid mud flap or curtain can create a high-pressure area that will interfere with air circulation. 
      But the important part is that different kinds of buses are different - what works on one may not work on another and what gives trouble on one may not give trouble on another.  But it's something that should be considered.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
Plaxton Paramounts have a full-width rear skirt thing, although it doesn't reach down very far. I can't believe it's much good as a mudflap (and there are conventional mudflaps behind the wheels anyway), so it's very possible that it's something to do with airflow or air pressure for engine cooling. But my bus is mid-engineed with the radiator behind the front wheels, and yet I still have the skirt (I know it's there because it was in the way when the tow hitch was fitted).

Jeremy

(In this photo it looks like the Duple in the background has a skirt too)

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline garhawk

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 06:20:54 AM »
Well, first off I'd like to thank y'all for your WONDERFUL comments.

Wayne:  You're right, the skirt could add to heat problems.  Think I'll try it anyway.  If it runs up the temperature, then I'll take it off.
gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »
With the hula skirt and the misting water Gary you may start a new trend for the bus people a rolling tropical display, you know I had to do that lol.

I don't think the brush skirt is going to affect your cooling not like a solid flap would

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
Got a hula skirt on my 5A, also have a 2" mudflap behind each wheel and don't have an overheating problem unless it is 107 degrees out and i am going up the hill out of Laughlin headed to Vegas. :)   8V71N with 644 allison. 
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal